Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's Your Favorite Hot Sauce?

I've fallen in love with this hot sauce my sister in law picked up when she was in the Caribbean. Crazy hot but a good flavor. It's a thicker hot sauce. I was really hoping to find it online but no such luck. Just seeing what you guys like or recommend. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Start fermenting your own you'll never look back 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    @lkapigian sent me this one in the exchange. Not screaming hot, but a great flavor. 

Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited August 2018
    lkapigian said:

@WeberWho  I'm wet behind the ears on this fermentation thing, but I'd suggest going with @lkapigian 's idea (He's gotten me into it).  It's interesting - I'm currently reading a book on fermenting hot sauces, chutney's etc

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Lanes One Legged Chicken has been my go to lately. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Lanes One Legged Chicken has been my go to lately. 
    Not shabby stuff. Pretty good on wings imo.  Just used a bit of Malcolm Reeds hot sauce yesterday. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited August 2018
    Ima cholula Fan for the mass produced easy to find stuff.   Crystal is Hard to Beat too.  

We have lots of local stuff here that kicks ass w a different flavor profile.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95

• I’ve been told to try this and I finally found some, however I haven’t opened it yet as I still have 2 bottles of FYO going and and 3 other bottles of local concoctions open but I am looking forward to trying it. 

If anyone is passing through the Cincinnati area I highly recommend going to the hot sauce aisle at Jungle Jim’s, holy crap thousands of small bottles from all over the world very cool.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Cholula
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458

Dont believe everything you read
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Texas petes

tabanero is pretty good 

el tapatio (we call it uncle tappy) 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    My favorite - plenty of heat and a bright all pepper flavor.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2018

Dont believe everything you read
    Yeah...that stuff was right bad if I do say so myself.

edit.....not store bought. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Swmbo picked these up for me at the farmers market in cbus

Honey did you actually read the label?  :o
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I never was a big hot sauce fan, but a while back, I finally tried some jerk chicken and discovered the flavor of Scotch bonnets. Heat is almost a side note. With the few SB sauces I've tried, the flavor far outweighs the heat.

I like Walkerswood Jonkanoo and their Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce. Both good and widely available. Grace makes some similar sauces.

As for Brimstone Flavors, I found a link, but it says the "account as been suspended". Not a good sign.
    http://brimstoneflavors.com/?go=caribbeanred

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    Only for those "special" occasions ;) 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    blasting said:
    lkapigian said:

@WeberWho  I'm wet behind the ears on this fermentation thing, but I'd suggest going with @lkapigian 's idea (He's gotten me into it).  It's interesting - I'm currently reading a book on fermenting hot sauces, chutney's etc

I love fermenting...Here's some hot sauce I started this morning. Picked the tabasco peppers from my garden this morning. Chopped peppers, garlic, Himalayan salt and a shot of clamato juice. I also made some spicy vinegar. Tabasco peppers, little salt, sugar, garlic and vinegar.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max

• These have been my go to hot sauces for a while now. I can find them every where locally and they have goid flavor without the heat being too overpowering. I know they have a website you can order online from and you can buy the single serve pouches on their website which can come in handy. 
    @blasting if you don’t mind me asking, what book are you reading on fermentation? Have thought about trying to make my own hot sauces as well but didn’t really know where to start.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463

I also am very fond of plain ol' Tabasco.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    This is 'Bliss' hot sauce. It's made by Founders Brewing Company in Grand Rapids, MI. It's age in bourbon barrels. This sh!t is legit. Heat, great flavor. This is my go to.This is SWB Neck of the Woods. It's made here in southwest Michigan. A small company. They make great products, a dozen or so sauces. They are delicious This is a close second.For plain hot sauce heat in recipes, Tabasco and Franks.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Texas Pete, Louisiana hot sauce, and chipotle Tabasco are the 3 I use regularly.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited August 2018
    A little will take you a LONG way!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Texas Pete, Louisiana hot sauce, and chipotle Tabasco are the 3 I use regularly.
    I second the Tabasco Chipotle. Not a big fan of the original, but the Chipotle version is good.

Wish stores around here carried this kind of stuff. We have a VERY limited selection of hot sauces, not to mention the peppers themselves! All I ever see are jalapeños, habaneros and poblanos. And dried chilies? Forget it!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    https://www.mohotta.com/

Try the website listed above. If they don't have it ....   It's a great site to visit just to read the  names. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • On our honeymoon at Sandals in Jamaica they had the best scotch bonnet pepper sauce at the resort. I ate it all week and bought the gift shop clean out of it. (It was Sandals relabeled sauce of all things)

I even had had a friend going on their honeymoon do the same a year later. Then they discontinued it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Swmbo picked these up for me at the farmers market in cbus

Honey did you actually read the label?  :o
    Love the labels, but you didn't say anything about what they taste like -- are they good?