Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Bacon Destination

Options
lkapigian
lkapigian Posts: 10,767
Bucket List Bacon, on sale ....skin on,off ? I'm thinking off .Cure start tomorrow, smoke in a week or so ...any input appreciated!

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Nice, putting in my Berkwood Berkshire belly order today, for Tuesday's kill day.

I used to remove, but now leave it on, as removal is a PITA.  Shave/torch any hairs, leave the nipples intact.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lkapigian
    Options
    Thanks @Focker I went ahead and did 1 on 1 off, yes it was a pain ....not sure if its OK but I vacuumed sealed them...Recipe from Russ over at Smoky Ribs...if this goes well I will order online next time

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Focker said:
    Nice, putting in my Berkwood Berkshire belly order today, for Tuesday's kill day.

I used to remove, but now leave it on, as removal is a PITA.  Shave/torch any hairs, leave the nipples intact.

That Looks Awesome @focker
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I would hang it a few days before smoking it. 

For the record, I am anti-skin on bacon, and pro cold smoking
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    Options
    20stone said:

Thanks @20stone I will be cold smoking for sure. So hang it after the cure? From what I have read, seems the average cure is 7 days, not sure if one can go longer or not, I usually let my sausages dry in the fridge long enough for 
    pellicle to form, would assume the same for Bacon?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    I cure mine with the Ruhlman basic dry cure at a ratio of 3.5% to what ever the weight of your belly is. Usually it takes 6 days, flipping the ziplocks daily and feeling for firmness. I hot smoke at 180F-200F until 150F internal.  

Meathead suggests brine as it takes less time and requires less guesswork. Also creates an anaerobic environment which may be safer, especially since your going to cold smoke. 
    Pratt, KS
  • lkapigian
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    I cure mine with the Ruhlman basic dry cure at a ratio of 3.5% to what ever the weight of your belly is. Usually it takes 6 days, flipping the ziplocks daily and feeling for firmness. I hot smoke at 180F-200F until 150F internal.  

Meathead suggests brine as it takes less time and requires less guesswork. Also creates an anaerobic environment which may be safer, especially since your going to cold smoke. 
    Thanks @MattBTI
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    20stone said:

Thanks @20stone I will be cold smoking for sure. So hang it after the cure? From what I have read, seems the average cure is 7 days, not sure if one can go longer or not, I usually let my sausages dry in the fridge long enough for 
    pellicle to form, would assume the same for Bacon?
    It is the same, tough I like hanging it longer drying it a bit. I am about to do the same myself, and will weigh it this time to see if there is something to it.  I plan on hanging it a week, but will play it by ear. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Lets see how this goes...though the smoker has cold smoke feature, I went and got an A-Max-N smoke generator...

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm liking the color, the amazn smoker is 1/3 through so will easily give 9 hours I of smoke

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Sealed and resting in the fridge 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    WoW, even though this was no Heritage or the top quality pork, just belly from a local grocer. This was awesome bacon and an awesome journey . better than any store bought, thanks for looking 

Had some extra belly meat so Italian Belly Sausage

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Another round 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Thanks @thetrim cold smoked about 7 hours, sealed to let it absorb the smoke for a couple days, will definitely be doing Skin Off always ..much better 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Money Shot...after 2 days of letting the smoke set in, even the bacon is smiling

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Money Shot...after 2 days of letting the smoke set in, even the bacon is smiling

Man that looks incredible!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • lkapigian
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks @jbam , fun project!..next time you are at Costco grab a belly ill mix you up some cure and you can have a go at it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Hate to bump but cutting up my last batch to make smoked Mac and Cheese ...just cat get bacon like this in the store 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've long dreamed of opening a restaurant on Bourbon St in NOLA called Bacon on Bourbon that makes everything bacon. Signature bacon swizzle sticks and cocktails, core cures and rubs that change everything. I think it would be as crazy as Hand Grenades!! If anyone steals my idea at least feed me free drinks and bacon.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I've long dreamed of opening a restaurant on Bourbon St in NOLA called Bacon on Bourbon that makes everything bacon. Signature bacon swizzle sticks and cocktails, core cures and rubs that change everything. I think it would be as crazy as Hand Grenades!! If anyone steals my idea at least feed me free drinks and bacon.
    the future starts today 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm in
    Options
    So, cure, dry in fridge for a week, cold smoke for 7 ish hours, let set a couple days, eat bacon? 

I tried hot smoke on my first and last attempt and it tasted like weird ham. I have the amazen smoker

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    So, cure, dry in fridge for a week, cold smoke for 7 ish hours, let set a couple days, eat bacon? 

I tried hot smoke on my first and last attempt and it tasted like weird ham. I have the amazen smoker
    did you add nitrites?
    Options

This is the recipe I follow ...i really like it...

https://youtu.be/BWRbTKnwtjc
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I am definitely not as good at this bacon stuff as most on here but I like https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-chops-pulled-pork-ham-and-more-pork-recipes/how-make-smoked-bacon-home-it-so. The maple flavor is so awesome.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I used cure #1 the pink stuff 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lkapigian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    six_egg said:
    I am definitely not as good at this bacon stuff as most on here but I like https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-chops-pulled-pork-ham-and-more-pork-recipes/how-make-smoked-bacon-home-it-so. The maple flavor is so awesome.  
    That is a great recipe- my only thing is Meathead is very anti cold smoke, and yes you have to be safe and he may be that way for "liability "reasons. But I have done it both ways and I prefer a long cold smoke, I don't want to pre cook my bacon . I was leary the first time I cold smoked, but done correctly you will not have an issue

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian