Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT Bacon Destination

lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,002
Bucket List Bacon, on sale ....skin on,off ? I'm thinking off .Cure start tomorrow, smoke in a week or so ...any input appreciated!

Visalia, Ca

Comments

• FockerFocker Posts: 8,283
    edited January 15
    Nice, putting in my Berkwood Berkshire belly order today, for Tuesday's kill day.

I used to remove, but now leave it on, as removal is a PITA.  Shave/torch any hairs, leave the nipples intact.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,002
    Thanks @Focker I went ahead and did 1 on 1 off, yes it was a pain ....not sure if its OK but I vacuumed sealed them...Recipe from Russ over at Smoky Ribs...if this goes well I will order online next time

Visalia, Ca
    Focker said:
    Nice, putting in my Berkwood Berkshire belly order today, for Tuesday's kill day.

I used to remove, but now leave it on, as removal is a PITA.  Shave/torch any hairs, leave the nipples intact.

That Looks Awesome @focker ;
    Visalia, Ca
  • dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 1,061
    Shave/torch any hairs, leave the nipples intact.

Can I put this on a t-shirt?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 20stone20stone Posts: 1,481
    I would hang it a few days before smoking it. 

For the record, I am anti-skin on bacon, and pro cold smoking
    LBGE since 2008 and a MM from 2016
    Karubeque C-60 Dishwasher (when time is no object)
    Owner of multiple large scale refrigeration devices (sometimes too many)
    Vertically integrated BBQ and charcuterie operator, for recreational use only
    Elicitor of secrets from goats through unconventional methods
    Sourdough bread enthusiast

Houston, TX

20stone said:

Thanks @20stone I will be cold smoking for sure. So hang it after the cure? From what I have read, seems the average cure is 7 days, not sure if one can go longer or not, I usually let my sausages dry in the fridge long enough for 
    pellicle to form, would assume the same for Bacon?
    Visalia, Ca
  • MattBTIMattBTI Posts: 323
    I cure mine with the Ruhlman basic dry cure at a ratio of 3.5% to what ever the weight of your belly is. Usually it takes 6 days, flipping the ziplocks daily and feeling for firmness. I hot smoke at 180F-200F until 150F internal.  

Meathead suggests brine as it takes less time and requires less guesswork. Also creates an anaerobic environment which may be safer, especially since your going to cold smoke. 
    Pratt, KS
    MattBTI said:
    I cure mine with the Ruhlman basic dry cure at a ratio of 3.5% to what ever the weight of your belly is. Usually it takes 6 days, flipping the ziplocks daily and feeling for firmness. I hot smoke at 180F-200F until 150F internal.  

Meathead suggests brine as it takes less time and requires less guesswork. Also creates an anaerobic environment which may be safer, especially since your going to cold smoke. 
    Thanks @MattBTI
    Visalia, Ca
  • 20stone20stone Posts: 1,481
    lkapigian said:
    20stone said:

Thanks @20stone I will be cold smoking for sure. So hang it after the cure? From what I have read, seems the average cure is 7 days, not sure if one can go longer or not, I usually let my sausages dry in the fridge long enough for 
    pellicle to form, would assume the same for Bacon?
    It is the same, tough I like hanging it longer drying it a bit. I am about to do the same myself, and will weigh it this time to see if there is something to it.  I plan on hanging it a week, but will play it by ear. 
    LBGE since 2008 and a MM from 2016
    Karubeque C-60 Dishwasher (when time is no object)
    Owner of multiple large scale refrigeration devices (sometimes too many)
    Vertically integrated BBQ and charcuterie operator, for recreational use only
    Elicitor of secrets from goats through unconventional methods
    Sourdough bread enthusiast

Houston, TX

Lets see how this goes...though the smoker has cold smoke feature, I went and got an A-Max-N smoke generator...

Visalia, Ca
    edited January 24
    I'm liking the color, the amazn smoker is 1/3 through so will easily give 9 hours I of smoke

Visalia, Ca
    Sealed and resting in the fridge 
    Visalia, Ca
    WoW, even though this was no Heritage or the top quality pork, just belly from a local grocer. This was awesome bacon and an awesome journey . better than any store bought, thanks for looking 

Had some extra belly meat so Italian Belly Sausage

Visalia, Ca
    Visalia, Ca