Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT We call it football over here

Options
CPFC1905
CPFC1905 Posts: 1,861
At last, we made it!   89 long days with absolutely no football whatsoever but now the Premier League is back, back, back!

OK, there was minor interlude when football did not come home and England politely let the new-comers have a moment in the spotlight. 

Its time to;
Get your fantasy team organised immediately,  I like;

With effort saving research out-sourced to;

Renew your podcast subscriptions, this my favourite;

Kiss your family and friends good-bye as only total absorption in the World’s best league matters for the next for 9 months. 
Other girls may try to take me away 
But you know, it's by your side I will stay

Comments

• CPFC1905
    Options
    To the handful of users even remotely interested, a few ground rules;
    1. no such thing as a silly question and any contribution is welcome
    2. on here it’s only called football 
    3. there is no such thing as ‘the EPL’   You may call it Division 1 as a mark of respect to the era before football was (re)invented
    4. players are paid too much - fact
    5. players fall over too easily - fact
    6. all referees and commentators are biased against your team
    7. probably several more, but we’ll make them up as we go along. 

• CPFC1905
    Options
    Just FYI, alternative thread titles I discounted; 
    OT It's a game of two halves    
    OT It's not a matter of life and death - it’s more important than that
    OT On me ‘ead son
    OT put it in the mixer
    OT Good feet for a big lad
    OT Unbelievable Jeff
    OT 90 minutes
    OT stick it in the onion sack
    OT ......and some of the crowd are on the pitch
    OT spadehead 
    OT Carlton Palmer - discuss
    OT Big Fat Sam’s coach tours, our next stop is….
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited August 2018
    Options
    First match lost, not a good start for us.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Excited to see Arsenal with somebody new in charge.  Even though City at home and @ Chelsea is not a great way to start (I fully expect some “Arsenal in crisis” and “Is Emery in trouble already” articles if/when they start with 0 points in their first 2 matches).

United looked a little better than I thought they would yesterday, although I still think they’ve dropped back a little, with City and Liverpool a cut above, and Spurs, Arsenal, United, and Chelsea is a scrum for the last 2 CL spots.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CPFC1905
    Options
    Eoin said:
    First match lost, not a good start for us.
    But all the other teams face the prospect of 'a wet Tuesday night at Stoke'.  Stay strong!
  • Eoin
    Options
    @acn agreed that MU looked better than expected. Spurs standard defending quality on show at the moment. Just need to see the Arse passing it round in the middle of the park for 15 minutes then concede a stupid goal and we can all relax.
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    Vertonghen's in my FF XI, so at least I'm up & running =)
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    I’m excited about the gunners relegation at the end of this season.  Also looking forward to the sacking of Jose @ MU.  This is the year LFC brings it home.  Jurgen Klopp, he will take us to the top !!!
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    Would be very happy for the season to end now.....

@Eoin Reasonable point against a decent Brentford, you think? 
  • Eoin
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

Better than losing but hoping for a win. I suppose we have to have some time for the new boys/manager to settle in!

Good result for you today.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Angry Birds is an Everton sponsor?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CPFC1905
    Options
    Eoin said:
    CPFC1905 said:

Better than losing but hoping for a win. I suppose we have to have some time for the new boys/manager to settle in!

Good result for you today.
    With Brighton well beaten by the curates egg of a team called Watford, a proper Bruce Bonus. 
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    I’m excited about the gunners relegation at the end of this season.  Also looking forward to the sacking of Jose @ MU.  This is the year LFC brings it home.  Jurgen Klopp, he will take us to the top !!!
    Scousers certainly looked lively today.   Gunners / Citeh underway - could be telling.  
    Chelsea had no bother at all yesterday against Huddersfield,  who along with Cardiff - looked completely outclassed. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    What should we make of Man City leaving David Silva at home?  Are they really that loaded?  Just rotating players? Looking to offload him?

There are no slouches on their bench. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    What you have there is just a kick in the grass. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    What should we make of Man City leaving David Silva at home?  Are they really that loaded?  Just rotating players? Looking to offload him?

There are no slouches on their bench. 
    They're loaded.  Pep has amassed a couple of top quality first XI's.  

The team will play 38 league games plus something like 20 CL and FA & League cup games - assuming decent run in each.  Most of the players are internationals and/or played in the World Cup - so very little downtime, lots of travel and every time they step on the pitch the expectation is they win.

The squad of 25 is capped at 17 'foreign' players - plus unlimited under 21's.  not bad when that means Phil Foden is not counted in the squad.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/465277  

• Foghorn
    Options
    Yep. This may be the year they break through in the cup winners cup (I didn’t see any rule on what to call it but thought I’d go with the historical perspective).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CPFC1905
    Options
    And I respect you more for that @Foghorn  
    It's Champions League for them, Utd, Liverpool and Spurs.  Then Chelsea, Arsenal and Burnley in the UEFA.   

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Ole, ole, ole? 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I'm not counting Chelsea out of the top 4.  Nor am I counting Arsenal among the top 7 just yet.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Oh, by the way, you picked the correct title.

@RockyTopDW, you may be correct.  But getting through Man City is not going to be an easy task.  I could easily see this being a 2 horse race between 'pool and city.  Pep and Klopp have both had some of those in other leagues.

San Antonio, TX

• CPFC1905
    Options
    I very much like Jose : he is an enigma that should have moved to Palace when he had the chance ( =) ).  It is almost unimaginable that he will do better than last year.   Liverpool are being talked up over here, but City are so strong. 

I know this is leaping ahead, but; with two very strong teams and a couple of very weak teams, the season tends to flatline quite early.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    Did you go to any games this Summer?  This report says you guys are not loving the sight of the Premier League's finest.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/14/international-champions-cup-attendances

Attendances used to be regarded as irrefutable evidence of a team's popularity and therefore success.   More recently those stats have fallen in to disrepute as clubs will conflate attendance with 'tickets sold', when it suits.  The latter will include season tickets irrespective of being used, total capacity of corporate boxes, sponsor allocations and others given away.  

In past years ticket sales were the primary revenue stream for nearly every club.  Consequently it was 'helpful' to publish a lower attendance for the purpose of tax.   In the present era, certainly for Premier League teams, ticket sales are a much smaller contributor.    

While teams are not (yet) in a position to balance the books by playing without a crowd, it is causing a shift in approach to 'match day experience'.    Big brand clubs are extending the top end packages with more lavish experiences on offer.  Others are investing - for want of a better term, in future fans by holding season ticket prices and improved concession prices.  Research suggests the average age of fans is creeping up, not to mention to growing proportion of 'tourists' with no affinity to the home club - or in fact football.

As an old-fashioned football fan of a team with undoubtedly the best home atmosphere (trust me, it wasn't always like that!), there's nothing like cheap tickets to encourage noisy fans in a ramshackle ground (I hesitate to use the word stadium for Selhurst Park) to give the perfect match-day experience. 

• Eoin
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Did you go to any games this Summer?  This report says you guys are not loving the sight of the Premier League's finest.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/14/international-champions-cup-attendances

Attendances used to be regarded as irrefutable evidence of a team's popularity and therefore success.   More recently those stats have fallen in to disrepute as clubs will conflate attendance with 'tickets sold', when it suits.  The latter will include season tickets irrespective of being used, total capacity of corporate boxes, sponsor allocations and others given away.  

In past years ticket sales were the primary revenue stream for nearly every club.  Consequently it was 'helpful' to publish a lower attendance for the purpose of tax.   In the present era, certainly for Premier League teams, ticket sales are a much smaller contributor.    

While teams are not (yet) in a position to balance the books by playing without a crowd, it is causing a shift in approach to 'match day experience'.    Big brand clubs are extending the top end packages with more lavish experiences on offer.  Others are investing - for want of a better term, in future fans by holding season ticket prices and improved concession prices.  Research suggests the average age of fans is creeping up, not to mention to growing proportion of 'tourists' with no affinity to the home club - or in fact football.

As an old-fashioned football fan of a team with undoubtedly the best home atmosphere (trust me, it wasn't always like that!), there's nothing like cheap tickets to encourage noisy fans in a ramshackle ground (I hesitate to use the word stadium for Selhurst Park) to give the perfect match-day experience. 

I took our Chelsea supporting son to see a match at Stamford Bridge a few years ago, vs. Stoke.  While not completely devoid of atmosphere, the noise all came from the Shed End and the Stoke fans.  The rest of the crowd was a bit subdued.  Where we were sitting was high up (all we could get) in the East Stand and nearly all of the seats around us were taken by tourists.  I guess the 'smaller' teams have the home advantage of a limited number of tourists / armchair fans visiting, so the ground is full of actual fans, even if it means less money coming in.
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    I have noticed that on YouTube away fans seem to revel in out-singing the home fans.  Admittedly not hard at Arsenal and there's good footage of Palace doing it to Chelsea (and I'll say it again : Jose will come to Palace) .
    I know you'll appreciate that it takes a special kind of tourist to find Selhurst Park, so I think we're less likely to suffer that. 
    A few years ago a friend of mine took a Wimbledon season ticket to watch the other 19 teams play.  Proto-tourism? 

Oh, near miss with you lad then - what if he'd been Man Utd????
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Will Atleti show us that Real Madrid without CR7 = nothing special?

San Antonio, TX

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Bale looked to be in good form during the last few cup games over here.  I think he’ll step in and fill the void pretty well.  Damn near impossible to replace the output of Ronaldo though.  There’s still enough quality on that team to finish well in that extremely top heavy league.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio