Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peri-Peri Chicken (way late to this party)

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited August 2018 in Poultry
Wasnt really expecting to have this reaction so I didnt think to take pics until I had a bite. Even though the pic sucks, this may be the best chicken I’ve ever eaten.

Cooks Illustrated recipe (I’ll try to scare it up and post). Where has this been all my life? So good.

sweet potatoes were just salt,pepper,olive oil. They were great too but damn that was some good chicken.  

If you you haven’t done this, do it. Now. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - I know @Doc_Eggerton is a big fan of  Dicchicko's peri-peri sauces etc.  Hopefully he be along to provide his perspective. 
    But with your and his endorsement it's time for me to grab some more sauce and go again.  I am likely beyond the patience or skill-set to wrestle thru a Cook's Illustrated recipe but if I can get there with a crutch I will.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Is this the 2015 grilled one or the new 2018 SV version?
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    I want to see a SV recipe, for sure
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Is this the 2015 grilled one or the new 2018 SV version?
    It was the grilled one. 

• lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - I know @Doc_Eggerton is a big fan of  Dicchicko's peri-peri sauces etc.  Hopefully he be along to provide his perspective. 
    But with your and his endorsement it's time for me to grab some more sauce and go again.  I am likely beyond the patience or skill-set to wrestle thru a Cook's Illustrated recipe but if I can get there with a crutch I will.  ;)
    Lots of Ingredients but not a difficult process. Throw it all in a blender and marinade 6-24 hours and grill it. 
  • 20stone

lousubcap said:
    Lots of Ingredients but not a difficult process. Throw it all in a blender and marinade 6-24 hours and grill it. 
    Damn.  I just sold my blender.  Still, would it kill you to post the recipe, or are you going to go all @caliking and post a picture of a bowl of spices?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    If you get to England, Nando's is a chain restaurant that specializes in peri-peri chicken.  In fact, there are a few restaurants here in the states, primarily on the east coast.

I will say that a Friday afternoon spent in Cambridge day-drinking, followed by my first Nando's experience that evening made for an eventful Saturday.  Granted, I'd drank enough cask ales that day to convince myself that I should go with the "hot" peri peri.  

I hear you, though.   That stuff is the cats pajamas

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Eggcelsior
    Nandos is fantastic. Had one a block from my office at my old job. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    20stone said:
    I want to see a SV recipe, for sure
    If SV jerk chicken is anything to go by, this  should be pretty damn good with an SV tweak. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    20stone said:

lousubcap said:
    Damn.  I just sold my blender.  Still, would it kill you to post the recipe, or are you going to go all @caliking and post a picture of a bowl of spices?
    #weighingingredientsisfordummies

• 20stone
    caliking said:
    20stone said:

lousubcap said:
    #weighingingredientsisfordummies
    #saystheguywhoneverwantstorepeatsuccessesoravoidrepeatsoffailure
    #boughtavitamixshouldaboughtascale
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I like chicken.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    lousubcap said:
    I like their garlic peri-peri, but they have other varieties.  You can buy it on-line.  I had my own plant for several years and pickled the peppers.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

BTW, it's really good on pork also.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    edited August 2018

BTW, it's really good on pork also.

Agreed. I've used Nando's peri-peri on pork, really nice. Used a reverse sear on a double cut pork chop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    We have 2 Nando's near us. They locally source the chicken and when they are delivered to the restaurant they are already injected with marinade. They steam cook them so they are fully cooked. Prior to serving they grill them direct and baste them with sauce that you request. 

When I cook them on the egg I marinate the chicken using lemon herb sauce for 4 hrs and then indirect at 250 till the skin is rendered and getting crisp. Midway through the cook I baste the chicken with sauce. As they are getting close to temp I sear as a final step.

I prefer a bite through skin vs Nandos's method.

• 20stone said:

lousubcap said:
    you sold your blender? You are downsizing to a luxury apartment, not moving into a tent. you cook way too much to not have a blender. Sad day indeed. 
  • Eggcelsior
    20stone said:

lousubcap said:
    you sold your blender? You are downsizing to a luxury apartment, not moving into a tent. you cook way too much to not have a blender. Sad day indeed. 
    He has a concierge that's chews his food for him now. No need for a blender. Keeping up with the Joneses is hard!
  • 20stone said:

lousubcap said:
    He has a concierge that's chews his food for him now. No need for a blender. Keeping up with the Joneses is hard!

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    That is quite an endorsement coming from you...any luck finding that recipe? 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited August 2018
    CPARKTX said:
    That is quite an endorsement coming from you...any luck finding that recipe? 
    You folks must not have heard of this new-fangled thing called Google:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/8416-peri-peri-grilled-chicken

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/11124-sous-vide-peri-peri-chicken

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I don't have access to Cooks Illustrated, so I can't see the recipe, but we've been making Peri-peri chicken wings for years. I've got a recipe on my blog from back in 2011. I believe Nando's was started in South Africa. I think I remember that. Now I want to make some of those this weekend. Thanks for reminding me. It's been awhile since I've cooked them.

https://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/piri-piri-chicken-wings-in-the-style-of-nandos/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• 20stone
    20stone said:

lousubcap said:
    In tears laughing. 

While we ARE minus a blender, I did smuggle an induction stove into the unit yesterday, and have squirrelled away the crap glass top in a box under another box. 

Cooking will go on. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2018
    Merry Christmas
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    I found some Nando's sauce at World Market and marinated cubed chicken in it. It came out well. Not the best I've ever had, but not bad. Full recipe here.

Peri Peri Chicken Skewers
  • caliking
    20stone said:
    20stone said:

lousubcap said:
    In tears laughing. 

While we ARE minus a blender, I did smuggle an induction stove into the unit yesterday, and have squirrelled away the crap glass top in a box under another box. 

Cooking will go on. 
    I half expect one of the bathrooms in that high-rise condo to be converted into a commercial kitchen. 

• 20stone said:
    20stone said:

lousubcap said:
    In tears laughing. 

Cooking will go on. 
    your sig line makes me sad. 
  • 20stone
    caliking said:
    20stone said:
    20stone said:

lousubcap said:
    In tears laughing. 

Cooking will go on. 
    I half expect one of the bathrooms in that high-rise condo to be converted into a commercial kitchen. 

That’s a great idea. Unlike the G’raj Mahal, it’ll have a sink.  Figure out how to refrigerate the shower and its a GO!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    caliking said:
    20stone said:
    20stone said:

lousubcap said:
    In tears laughing. 

Cooking will go on. 

That’s a great idea. Unlike the G’raj Mahal, it’ll have a sink.  Figure out how to refrigerate the shower and its a GO!
    "Your bathrooms sure are cold"...
  • 20stone
    20stone said:
    caliking said:

"Your bathrooms sure are cold"...
    Keeps it out of the water.

your sig line makes me sad. 
    Fixed it
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX