Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OBR in Redding CA

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
OBR should be wrapping up with lunch today. Here's some pics from my shifts this weekend.

Boss Hog is a beast with 5 Ole Hickory EL-ED/X smokers each with 12 racks (18" x 48") on a rotisserie

OBR's new command center

Prepping to load up two of the pits with pork loins

One of the pits loaded

Morning briefing with the volunteers

A couple of volunteers mixing chopped pork with a basil orange pesto the World Central Kitchen provided.

I had a blast working closely with Dave (shown below) on the pits

This sums up OBR really well

It was great to see so many organizations working together to help those in need. The Red Cross, Salvation Army, and a evacuation shelter were nearby. It was pretty hot out there but Rita's of Redding stopped by to provide cold treats to us and the other organizations

The overpasses on I-5 in Redding and nearby Anderson all had signs showing appreciation for the fine work the first responders are doing there

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,552
    Options
    Again congrats on volunteering to help such a great organization.  Thanks for the pics.  Hard to appreciate the magnitude and efficiency of OBR. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Beautiful, it's so rewarding to help those in need. Good for you.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Some great pictures, and thanks for all you do. This is the type of work I would like to do in my retirement....someday. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So glad you got to get out and join such a great cause. I'm still very proud of the work that @20stone @caliking , the Fabulous Janell and I put in on Hurricane Harvey Relief in Houston last summer.  Also very proud of the fund drive @henapple spearheaded on the forum a couple of years back. I think the forum donated over $3000 to the cause.

Good peeps on here! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,241
    Options
    Awesome work that BBQ Relief does. Thanks for volunteering your time and skills. People like yourself are what make the organization great and help ensure that relief efforts go as coordinated. Thanks for sharing. 

PS: I hope you survived the Tony/Carey wonder twins last night! 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,048
    Options
    How cool is that! Thanks for the pics and volunteer work. Impressive effort by all 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Very cool indeed. 

When some of us TX folks volunteered with OBR in Houston last year, it was truly humbling to see what an operation they have running. These guys and gals know how to get shît done. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Kudos for the great work!  OBR and those who volunteer are first class. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Some great pictures, and thanks for all you do. This is the type of work I would like to do in my retirement....someday. ;)
    YW!  I’m with you on being able to do this kind of thing when retired.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited August 2018
    Options
    So glad you got to get out and join such a great cause. I'm still very proud of the work that @20stone @caliking , the Fabulous Janell and I put in on Hurricane Harvey Relief in Houston last summer.  Also very proud of the fund drive @henapple spearheaded on the forum a couple of years back. I think the forum donated over $3000 to the cause.

Good peeps on here! 
    caliking said:
    Very cool indeed. 

When some of us TX folks volunteered with OBR in Houston last year, it was truly humbling to see what an operation they have running. These guys and gals know how to get shît done. 
    I heard a lot about Houston while there.  You guys served more meals in a day than they did in a week in Redding.  One of the guys mentioned they had 150-200 volunteers each day in Houston and in Redding I think they only needed around 20 which gives you a perspective of scale between the two cities.  They were saying this was a good size for them to test out the new command center and Boss Hog as well as give some of the guys a wider range of experience (here they could do many jobs where in a large deployment they may cover just one).

This was significantly different than Napa last year when I spent a lot of time grilling instead of smoking.  Realistically Napa was run more by locals with some OBR oversight and the cookers were provided by locals.

Guy Fieri started the cooking in Redding and then moved down to the Lake County area to cook for them once the OBR gear rolled in.  So many fires in CA now.  It’s insane.

OBR is a great operation that I’m proud to support and if any of you have the opportunity to volunteer with them I would highly recommend it. If you want to help with the cooking take an early shift.  My Sunday shift was supposed to start at 7 AM and the head cook told me I could show up at 8 AM as he was going to have their regulars prep the pork loins and load the cookers.  I said “that’s the fun part” so he said ok, show up at 6 AM then.  I’m glad I did start earlier.

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited August 2018
    Options

Awesome work that BBQ Relief does. Thanks for volunteering your time and skills. People like yourself are what make the organization great and help ensure that relief efforts go as coordinated. Thanks for sharing. 

PS: I hope you survived the Tony/Carey wonder twins last night! 
    Thanks!  As for Tony and Carey, I must have been tired after working and driving 3 hours when I called them.  What was I thinking??   ;)

I’m kidding of course.  I was going to drive right by and figured I should say Hi while I could.  They were kind enough to invite me to stay for a tasty dinner.  It was a great way to top off a fine weekend.

(note: edited to add back in the right winking smiley face and the last paragraph.  Not sure how that didn’t show up when I first posted.)

Bay Area, CA
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Awesome job! You guys are angels
    in disguise! 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    R2Egg2Q said:

Good peeps on here! 
    caliking said:
    Very cool indeed. 

I heard a lot about Houston while there.  You guys served more meals in a day than they did in a week in Redding.  One of the guys mentioned they had 150-200 volunteers each day in Houston and in Redding I think they only needed around 20 which gives you a perspective of scale between the two cities.  They were saying this was a good size for them to test out the new command center and Boss Hog as well as give some of the guys a wider range of experience (here they could do many jobs where in a large deployment they may cover just one).

This was significantly different than Napa last year when I spent a lot of time grilling instead of smoking.  Realistically Napa was run more by locals with some OBR oversight and the cookers were provided by locals.

Guy Fieri started the cooking in Redding and then moved down to the Lake County area to cook for them once the OBR gear rolled in.  So many fires in CA now.  It’s insane.

OBR is a great operation that I’m proud to support and if any of you have the opportunity to volunteer with them I would highly recommend it. If you want to help with the cooking take an early shift.  My Sunday shift was supposed to start at 7 AM and the head cook told me I could show up at 8 AM as he was going to have their regulars prep the pork loins and load the cookers.  I said “that’s the fun part” so he said ok, show up at 6 AM then.  I’m glad I did start earlier.
    Just to add to this, re volunteers, my 82yo Pops put in more hours over the course of a week than the rest of our egghead crew did put together. They sometimes need all the help that is available, and are very appreciative of the extra hands. 
    dude was a machine. Pops for the win!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,241
    edited August 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    R2Egg2Q said:

Good peeps on here! 
    caliking said:
    Very cool indeed. 

Just to add to this, re volunteers, my 82yo Pops put in more hours over the course of a week than the rest of our egghead crew did put together. They sometimes need all the help that is available, and are very appreciative of the extra hands. 
    dude was a machine. Pops for the win!
    I bet Pops could take down a half bag of slushies. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    I am always amazed at how that organization get go wheels up to just about anywhere in such a short amount of time.  Nice work!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Volunteers run America, you guys help save it.
    Thank you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,901
    Options
    Said it before and it still bears repeating, props to Pops.
    Had that hot, humid after hurricane, soaked clothing displeasure too many times here on the east coast of FL. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options

Bay Area, CA