Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-MAZE-N smoker 5x8 for cold smoking, question for fuel

Options
Anyone use the AMAZEN smoker 5x8? Wondering how many pellets (in pounds) it holds?

Also, where you all get them?  I don't plan on smoking ALOT, so buying a 20# bag at HD would probably last forever and looking at 1-2# bags for $10 is expensive.  

What do you all do?
Northern Jersey
XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733

Comments

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Looking into one of these as well specifically for cheese.
  • nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    1 pound and I buy Trager pellets , I buy the 20 pound bags but I do a lot of cold smoking and they are a quality pellet 

You will find reasons to smoke salt ,spices, cheese damn near anything...sometimes I run my smoke house empty just because I like the smell ...less than a dollar for something I enjoy
    Thanks, yea you're prob right, once I get into it.  I saw a recipe for a smoked chocolate mouse dessert I'm dying to try.  

So for the cheeses, hickory mainly?  Was planing on a mix of hickory and apple for my bacon.
    Northern Jersey
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    1 pound and I buy Trager pellets , I buy the 20 pound bags but I do a lot of cold smoking and they are a quality pellet 

You will find reasons to smoke salt ,spices, cheese damn near anything...sometimes I run my smoke house empty just because I like the smell ...less than a dollar for something I enjoy
    Thanks, yea you're prob right, once I get into it.  I saw a recipe for a smoked chocolate mouse dessert I'm dying to try.  

So for the cheeses, hickory mainly?  Was planing on a mix of hickory and apple for my bacon.
    Use whatever you enjoy, I have bags of Maple, Oak and Apple 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I've never fully loaded my Amazen 5x8 as I have never needed smoke for that long. I only use it for cheese and I generally just fill up a row and a half. Haven't weighed that out either but would guess maybe three ounces.

If you really want to smoke using a specific type of tree be careful in your choice of pellets. Most pellets, like Traeger, are a blend of various woods that varies upon which part of the US they are made.

There are vendors that sell pellets that are (so they claim) made of only the type of tree they say so you may want to seek those.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I've never fully loaded my Amazen 5x8 as I have never needed smoke for that long. I only use it for cheese and I generally just fill up a row and a half. Haven't weighed that out either but would guess maybe three ounces.

If you really want to smoke using a specific type of tree be careful in your choice of pellets. Most pellets, like Traeger, are a blend of various woods that varies upon which part of the US they are made.

There are vendors that sell pellets that are (so they claim) made of only the type of tree they say so you may want to seek those.
    Thanks @HeavyG made me curious, found this from Smoking Meat Forums https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/new-info-on-whats-in-traeger-pellets.116254/

looks like the blend varies like you say by location ....I’m happy with it, good flavor and it looks like the blend is still good hardwood 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Do what I did, find a buddy who has a Traeger, yet is jealous of your BGE, and he'll practically give you some pellets to be a part of your cooking! 

Actually, a good friend had just loaded up on apple, hickory, cherry and pecan pellets - after his divorce and before his new lady friend... and so he was like, it'll take me years to eat all that smoked food... so he gave me some.

And as for the type - just like cooking proteins - match the wood to the kind of cheese you're smoking.  Cherry and Apple for softer, sweeter cheeses.  Hickory and Pecan for more savory ones.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I got peach but I think there is also some oak in this brands pellet base mix 
  • vb4677
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hey @nutshellml, I woke up this morning remembering I had a photo of my A-Maze-N 5x8 after smoking some cheese for 3 hrs.  Maybe this will give you an idea of how much fuel you'll need.

And, again, not really answering your original question - but I do know that at my local Ace HW store the do sell 1 lb boxes of pellets - at like $8... which, you could get like 15 lbs for about twice that or so... your call.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    buy a 20 lb bag. you can always throw them in the lump on low and slow BBQ smoking cooks. 

you burn about half a tray to cold smoke cheese, both ends burning.  

it can be a challenge to keep the trays burning if you try to use them on the low and slow cooks.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • nutshellml
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Do what I did, find a buddy who has a Traeger, yet is jealous of your BGE, and he'll practically give you some pellets to be a part of your cooking! 

Funny you mention, I just did that! He's giving me about 5 lbs of traeger pellets, then I just have to get some fruit wood.  

vb4677 said:
    Hey @nutshellml, I woke up this morning remembering I had a photo of my A-Maze-N 5x8 after smoking some cheese for 3 hrs.  Maybe this will give you an idea of how much fuel you'll need.

Thanks this helps!

I did read the post @lkapigian linked and was interesting to read about the filler traeger uses...

Northern Jersey
  • nutshellml
    Options
    @vb4677
    How do you set your egg up? bottom and top vents wide open?  Just got my amazen, too hot for cheese gonna smoke some nuts...   Anything to play w/ my new toy
    Northern Jersey
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @vb4677 I don't use mine in the Egg but to much airflow the pellets will "Flame Up" I keep my smokehouse choked down, the pellets do not need a lot of air to keep going--My 2 cents
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My full 5x8 burns 14 hours when lit on one side. I just let bacon go all night and that seems about right for me
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • vb4677
    Options
    @vb4677
    How do you set your egg up? bottom and top vents wide open?  Just got my amazen, too hot for cheese gonna smoke some nuts...   Anything to play w/ my new toy
    Yo - check this out...
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209414/level-upped-my-cheese-game-pic-heavy#latest