Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking forward to Texas

Options
 but I’m going to miss this place...especially for Poke.  Took some side shots to show they’re not 1/2”. This will be my last trip before the move.  I will be back for visits from time to time so it’s not good bye.  

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Lived in California for 35 years of my life and for the most part it has been enjoyable.  There will be a lot of things I’ll miss and it will be an adjustment, but I’m looking forward to meeting some fellow Eggheads and the experiences that will be available in my new environment.

28’ Trailer will be dropped this morning and I’ve cintracted four college youths to do the heavy lifting tomorrow. I have the RTIC full of cold beverages to keep them hydrated and will order pizza to keep their strength up.  

Egg will be dismantled today and carefully packed for her long voyage.   My final California cook was SRF Kurobota Pork St Louis Ribs.  Simply Marvelous Pecan Rub with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom.   Finished one rack with Lillie Q’s Carolina sauce and the other I left dry.   I think it’s the best ribs I’ve cooked and it’s worthy of shutting the Egg down for now on this note.   

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Great ribs.

And welcome to Texas.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Where are you going to land in Texas?
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Welcome to Texas!!  You have a lot of fellow Eggheads in your new state!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    You’ll enjoy not being taxed and regulated to death in Texas. Find a Wagyu meat truck like Cen Tex did and you’ll be in heaven. 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Great ribs.

And welcome to Texas.
    Thanks Foghorn...means a lot coming from you.  Looking forward to trying some of the many places to get good food in the Great State of Texas soon and have some you  recommend on my list like Valentina's.  TEXASBGE2018 says there is a nice Eggfest in Athens so hope to meet some Texas Eggers there too.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Where are you going to land in Texas?
    I'll be looking for places in Tyler so everything will be in storage in Flint...will be landing temporarily in Temple to stay with a friend while I look for houses.  Egg will be in Temple too so I'll be up and smokin again soon.  
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Welcome to Texas!!  You have a lot of fellow Eggheads in your new state!
    Thank you...looking forward to meeting a lot of the fine people on this forum.  Going to have to make a trip to NO to hang out with @nolaegghead and hit up @RajunCajun when I make my way to the Best Stop in Scott to pick up some Smoked Boudin and Cracklins.  Originally from Lake Charles so it will be nice to be close enough to grab some mudbugs and represent my Louisiana roots in Tyler. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Safe travels. 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    You’ll enjoy not being taxed and regulated to death in Texas. Find a Wagyu meat truck like Cen Tex did and you’ll be in heaven. 
    Yep to all of the above points...they all played a major factor in my decision especially the being like Cen Tex part  =)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Great looking ribs and a worthy send-off.  Safe travels and enjoy the new environment.  
    Submarines once-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great looking ribs and a worthy send-off.  Safe travels and enjoy the new environment.  
    Submarines once-
    Thanks Frank...hope to make it to Louisville area someday and would love to share some conversation over a bourbon or three. 
    Submarines twice-
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Welcome to Texas! You should come out to the Texas BBQ Brethren Bash on 10-27-2018. It will be at Belton Lake. Just next to Temple TX. There will be a few EggHeads there along with others who enjoy outdoor cooking and smoking. 
    Send me a PM if you are interested!  =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Welcome to Texas! You should come out to the Texas BBQ Brethren Bash on 10-27-2018. It will be at Belton Lake. Just next to Temple TX. There will be a few EggHeads there along with others who enjoy outdoor cooking and smoking. 
    Send me a PM if you are interested!  =)
    Thanks for the heads up...PM Sent. 
  • TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    Options
    Welcome to Texas!  I've lived in KC, Jacksonville FL, Phoenix, and from Mississippi.  I've been around and the people here are great!
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Welcome to Texas. I’m in Midland, which is outbin the boonies. Sadly I feel like I’m a million miles away from all the Texan eggheads.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Great send off... good luck on move and get back on forum soon!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SSQUAL612
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Well my trailer was dropped off for my BBQ stuff and other trailer will be here tomorrow.   I feel like I’m in good hands after the driver signed the Bill of Lading.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Phew, just got a little extra elbow room here.  Joking aside, good luck with the move and as a native Californian I may not be too far behind.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@SSQUAL612  All the very best with your move and getting settled.  From where I'm sitting that's a very positive move - hope that's how it works out for you.

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Hope you got / get good air condition. Was hot as hell earlier this week while visiting. All the best with the move.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Jesus is packing for you, you are in good shape!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Welcome to Texas!  

You’ve probably figured this out by now, but Temple isn’t the most convient place to commute to Tyler.

In Tyler, I am told you absolutely need to hit Bodacious BBQ (http://www.thebodaciousbbq.com/), and while you’re ar it, you might add the Texas Monthly BBQ app to your phone, so you can hit all the good spots in between. 

As for other Texas eggheads, we are in Houston for another couple of weeks, and moving to Austin. Holler us up if you are down that way. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    Welcome to Texas!

Hotch done beat me to mentioning the Brethren bash in October. It's a blast.

Gotta recommend Stanley's in Tyler for BBQ and True Vine Brewing for local craft beer.

https://stanleysfamous.com/

https://www.truevinebrewing.com/
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Welcome to Texas.....Tyler is a cool town, very Texan. Temple is kinda half way to everywhere, Austin, Dallas, Houston and going off grid in West Texas.......lol

T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Welcome!!!!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    If I could pick any state to live in it'd be Texas.  I LOVE Texas!  The overall vibe there is amazing and so different from the Peoples Republic of MD where I currently reside.  If it weren't for family I'd move in a heartbeat. 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Well as a lot of you can relate it was an extremely taxing experience.  We loaded the trailer for 4 days in 100+ temps then spent hours getting place ready for walk thru.  I could not have done this without the help and commitment from SWMBO...she rallied and was a packing machine.  We had been living...let me rephrase that, surviving on 4-5 hours sleep a night and one meal a day for 4days so we checked into a hotel Tuesday night and walked over to Panda Inn for beers and appetizers then got a good nights rest on real bed.

I hit the road headed east at 12;30 on Wednesday afternoon and got pulled over and let go with a warning by a very nice Arizona State Police Officer...I was spending too much time in the passing lane so lesson learned and back on the road.

I was making good time and still feeling like I could bite off some more miles when I got just east of El Paso at 2;00 AM when 5 cars in front of me a vehicle travels across to the west bound lanes hitting an old Dominion Semi with doubles head on so the semi comes all the way across and blocks both EB lanes.

A lot of us exit our vehicles and a guy in front of me has a drone he flies over to survey the damage while the driver of the big rig next to me noticed my California plates and ask where I’m from...turns out he lived a couple miles from where I moved from...small world.  So Tim the big rig driver says it’ll be daylight before the accident clears and he was right, it was 5 hours for the double fatality scene to get cleared.   

Drove straight through so with delay it was 26 1/2 hours on the road but thankfully and with the Grace of God I made it safely.  Thank you all for the warm welcome and encouraging words.  Looking forward to exploring what my new Home State has to offer.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Welcome home.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX