Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What is Your Current Favorite Bourbon and/or Whisk(e)y-OT

Options

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited July 2018
    Options
    DWFII said:
    I used to post on a whisky forum...one thing I learned from the experts is that when a bottle is half full or less, the taste starts to deteriorate quickly and at an accelerated pace because of all the oxygen overhead.

Will it last 6 months in all it's glory? Maybe, probably not. Will it last a year? Not if you really and truly want the full  and intended flavour.

FWIW.
    What if it’s in a box instead of a bottle? Same principle apply? Asking for a friend. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited July 2018
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    What if it’s in a box instead of a bottle? Same principle apply? Asking for a friend. 
    Pretty sure it does...it's the air above the liquid not the light (although I have heard that can also have an effect...mostly on the colour).

The purists will decant into a smaller bottle.  And I suspect that replacing the air by injecting carbon dioxide into a relatively tight bottle will retard the oxidative process.

But hey, it's a good reason (good enough for me at any rate) to enjoy the whisky in a timely fashion and then simply buy another bottle. =)
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,454
    Options
    I've got a bottle of half (or greater) full that I am hoping the deteriorating qualities over time will improve the flavor profile.  I will use some unsuspecting guests to evaluate in another few months.  Can't make it any less palatable.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,810
    Options
    sounds like a plan =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DWFII
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I've got a bottle of half (or greater) full that I am hoping the deteriorating qualities over time will improve the flavor profile.  I will use some unsuspecting guests to evaluate in another few months.  Can't make it any less palatable.  
    Yeah, old bottles like that are always good for foisting off on guests who wouldn't know the difference in any case.
    Instagram
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Every night bourbon is Maker's Mark. Then I rotate through Woodford Double Oak, Booker's, Bulleit, Garrison (Local ATX), etc.

Some old, long lost friends have been mentioned here and I need to have a reunion with some of them. 

Elmer T Lee was a low price go-to for awhile.

I've got a bottle of Whistle Pig 10 yo Rye that I tried and put away 'cause I didn't like it.

I'm going to dig it out and take another swig or 3 this weekend.

Single Malt is a whole 'nother topic! 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    We drink 2 week old char. $8 bucks a jar. I’m friends with the owners of the distillery.
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Options
    Williams bonded (white label) has my attention right now. Turkey 101 is a great drink too. Best I’ve had in last few months has been Old Forester 1920. Lots of good bourbon burn, vanilla, caramel.. yum
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    A bottle of McKenna 10 lasted you a whole week? The restraint on this guy...

The last glass of Pappy I had (thanks to a forum member at Butt Blast who is the man!)...strong notes of vanilla on the front with cherries and oak on the finish. It really is fantastic in a category of its own. If I had the money I would have a bottle sitting around for any justifiable special occasion. 

But since my pockets aren’t deep enough...you can find some great bottles for under $50. 

Weller 12 (when you can find it), McKenna, Elijah Craig 12, Eagle Rare, 4 Roses Small Batch have been my go to recently. And I love some Bibb and Tucker or Whistle Pig. 

Then again, some days you just have to crack open a bottle of Wild Turkey, throw away the cork, and say damn to the consequences. 
    @Killit_and_Grillit    I hope you haven't "gone to" too much recently on the 4 Roses Small Batch
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    Pouring my second Old Forester 1897 Bottled in Bond. Absolutely delicious. Smoke, vanilla, a little pepper at the end. This sh!t is good. Probably why it's $50.  
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Right now?  The next one.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    I haven't had a bunch of different ones, but of the ones I have tried, Buffalo Trace is my favorite. 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    thetrim said:

The last glass of Pappy I had (thanks to a forum member at Butt Blast who is the man!)...strong notes of vanilla on the front with cherries and oak on the finish. It really is fantastic in a category of its own. If I had the money I would have a bottle sitting around for any justifiable special occasion. 

But since my pockets aren’t deep enough...you can find some great bottles for under $50. 

Weller 12 (when you can find it), McKenna, Elijah Craig 12, Eagle Rare, 4 Roses Small Batch have been my go to recently. And I love some Bibb and Tucker or Whistle Pig. 

Then again, some days you just have to crack open a bottle of Wild Turkey, throw away the cork, and say damn to the consequences. 
    @Killit_and_Grillit    I hope you haven't "gone to" too much recently on the 4 Roses Small Batch
    @thetrim shoot no man. You know statistically there’s a good chance we are gonna have to water that bottle down, reseal it, and send it back to @lousubcap in December. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    thetrim said:

@thetrim shoot no man. You know statistically there’s a good chance we are gonna have to water that bottle down, reseal it, and send it back to @lousubcap in December. 
    There's a really good chance that I'll be sending something his way in December for sure.  I don't know if he would classify a "quality bourbon" as something in a plastic bottle????
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    I haven't had a bunch of different ones, but of the ones I have tried, Buffalo Trace is my favorite. 
    I'm not a bourbon drinker or any kind of liquor for that matter but was gifted a bottle of Buffalo Trace several years ago. It has been in a cabinet in my basement for several years now. From what I'm gathering it seems to be of decent quality. My adult beverages consist of beer and wine. Perhaps in the near future I will partake of the bourbon and see if I am missing out. Maybe my tastes have matured to the point where I can appreciate some of the "finer things" in life. If not I have no issues continuing on the path I am on.

XL BGE
    MD
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,454
    Options
    @thetrim - for the documented record, I will take the win and whatever you feel appropriate to send along.  This thread has a lot of good info for anyone wanting to explore the finest (and rot-gut) brown water out there.  
    I am purging my Eagle Rare this PM in anticipation of the restock this weekend.  
    Now should the tables get turned I actually have a different offering in the queue this go 'round.  i doubt I will need it but I am always trying to stay ahead of the potential.  Might be a novel concept for you Army guys  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited July 2018
    Options
    dharley said:
    Pouring my second Old Forester 1897 Bottled in Bond. Absolutely delicious. Smoke, vanilla, a little pepper at the end. This sh!t is good. Probably why it's $50.  
    If you like bourbon, you should try this.

Edit: that is what the Bourbon Slushies at BB3 used for the base.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    dharley said:
    Wolfpack said:
    Just finished my bottle of 4 roses however, my normal go to is woodford.

I always check the bourbon aisle when I find myself in the ABC store to see if they have anything interesting. 
    That is beautiful. Could you tell me what you think of that Taylor when you crack it?
    For science of course.

I've had the rye. I liked it a lot. I have a bottle of single barrel now and it is good as well.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I’m a Woodford guy... I like Makers 46 for Manhattans and Old Fashioneds as well 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Picked up a bottle of Henry McKenna at Costco. This won first place? I drank a few sips and my chest hair doubled. I’m done now. 

And it must have gone right to my head because I think I just saw @hapster. Crazy. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Picked up a bottle of Henry McKenna at Costco. This won first place? I drank a few sips and my chest hair doubled. I’m done now. 

And it must have gone right to my head because I think I just saw @hapster. Crazy. 
    Nope... not crazy. I blame the bourbon on both counts
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    About a year ago, my buddies and I went on a hog hunt near Paris, TX.  We didn’t even see any pigs, and the only thing we killed the first two days was about four cases of Keystone.  The third night, we stayed in, ate a decent meal, and someone busted out some cigars and a bottle of Japanese whisky.  It was Suntory Hibiki single malt and it was incredible.  Maybe it’s just because my taste buds were used to crappy beer and beef jerky, but it was memorable. 

Been looking for it ever since.  Who would have thought it would be difficult to find in Nebraska 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    About a year ago, my buddies and I went on a hog hunt near Paris, TX.  We didn’t even see any pigs, and the only thing we killed the first two days was about four cases of Keystone.  The third night, we stayed in, ate a decent meal, and someone busted out some cigars and a bottle of Japanese whisky.  It was Suntory Hibiki single malt and it was incredible.  Maybe it’s just because my taste buds were used to crappy beer and beef jerky, but it was memorable. 

Been looking for it ever since.  Who would have thought it would be difficult to find in Nebraska 
    I've had some very good Japanese whiskey, it is a subject in itself now, not merely imitation scotch.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    hapster said:
    blind99 said:

Nope... not crazy. I blame the bourbon on both counts
    Excellent, most excellent. If you stick around, maybe you could post some of your photos so I have something else to look at besides shaving gear?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    Knob Creek single barrel 120 proof  with a splash or 2 of water is a great sipper!
  • DWFII
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I've had some very good Japanese whiskey, it is a subject in itself now, not merely imitation scotch.
    The Japanese use (by law if I understand correctly) "whisky" (no "e")...as does Canada and Scotland. But they may not call it "Scotch."

Instagram
  • dharley
    Options
    blind99 said:

Do you have a pic? There is Henry McKenna and Henry McKenna 10 year. The regular is just whiskey and costs about $13. Like Jack or Jim or Evan, not bad and worth what you pay. The ten year is $30 and worth $45.

LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,021
    Options
    I tried some of this recently and it was pretty awesome:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dharley
    Options
    I tried some of this recently and it was pretty awesome:

Do you know how much that bottle was? IF I could find it, that would be near $100 here. I'm not apposed to that, but I would drink it really slow.

USMC Veteran

• dharley
    Options
    I've sampled two bottles of this recently. It's sold a scotch, but I'm not sure it is. It IS, however, delicious and reasonably priced.

USMC Veteran