Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    1200, congrats!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I love Alaska.

I'm sitting in the lobby of the Home 2 Suites in Murfreesboro, TN with a girls softball team eating breakfast. One more seating game today then double elimination begins tomorrow. Girls are having a blast.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Looks great!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Cooked "One-Pan Harissa Chicken" on the Egg last night in a 17" Lodge skillet. Recipe was adapted from David Lebovitz, I just moved everything outside to the XL.  Super simple, fast and really delicious. This will be going on my weeknight rotation. 

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/harissa-chicken-recipe-dinner-melissa-clark/

Rubbed the thighs and legs and baby yukons with a mix of Harissa paste, olive oil and salt. Get the good DEA brand Harissa if you can find it. The jarred stuff is nasty and tastes like Old El Paso salsa. 

Cooked at a dome temp of ~400F. 

You hit it with Leeks halfway through and they melt down over the top nicely. One modification I made was searing off the skin-side of the chicken at the very end so it crisped up. 

Once you pull it off you hit it again with a mix of fresh herbs (in my case parsley and dill from the garden) and sauce of greek yogurt & cumin thinned down with fresh lemon juice. 

Plated. 

picked up thighs for the weekend, might try this saterday if i can find harrissa or a good recipe for it.  have a jar of fermented hot pepper scraps in the fridge, might not be the same but has possibilities =)  nothing can be bad with greek yogurt dipping sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    What's going on in that 2nd pic? Looks like a bear is eating something?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    What's going on in that 2nd pic? Looks like a bear is eating something?
    One bear is eating off a carcass and the other is chillin' wishing he had Netflix.
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Cooked "One-Pan Harissa Chicken" on the Egg last night in a 17" Lodge skillet. Recipe was adapted from David Lebovitz, I just moved everything outside to the XL.  Super simple, fast and really delicious. This will be going on my weeknight rotation. 

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/harissa-chicken-recipe-dinner-melissa-clark/

Rubbed the thighs and legs and baby yukons with a mix of Harissa paste, olive oil and salt. Get the good DEA brand Harissa if you can find it. The jarred stuff is nasty and tastes like Old El Paso salsa. 

Cooked at a dome temp of ~400F. 

You hit it with Leeks halfway through and they melt down over the top nicely. One modification I made was searing off the skin-side of the chicken at the very end so it crisped up. 

Once you pull it off you hit it again with a mix of fresh herbs (in my case parsley and dill from the garden) and sauce of greek yogurt & cumin thinned down with fresh lemon juice. 

Plated. 

picked up thighs for the weekend, might try this saterday if i can find harrissa or a good recipe for it.  have a jar of fermented hot pepper scraps in the fridge, might not be the same but has possibilities =)  nothing can be bad with greek yogurt dipping sauce

It's not easy to find around here other than Wold Market. I typically just order it from Amazon.  You could take the recipe a million different ways tho - sub out for smoked paprika, sriracha, gochujang or any other rub/paste etc. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dea-Harissa-Sauce-France-Combo/dp/B009QMEX0G/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531407284&sr=8-1&keywords=dea+harissa

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    What I'm doing right now is reading every tech bulletin on Pelican Parts they have on removing my transmission and replacing the clutch.  Doesn't look too hard.  My brother is buying the parts for me (he manages a Mercedes shop in San Antonio and gets parts cheap). 

Now I got sucked into the IMS bearing thing....my car is right in the transition period of engines that succumb to the bearing failure and the ones that are good.  Since I'll have the tranny out, great time to be proactive, but is it necessary? 
    I’ve done a ton of research on this lately. I don’t own a Porsche but would consider one as an upgrade (?) to my M3. There’s a ton of info, as I’m sure you’ve discovered, on the interwebs and Pelican parts has done a really good job documenting the repair procedures, all the way down to how to jack the car up. There’s also some good stuff on rennlist.com where guys have documented their service of the IMS bearing, the AOS, etc. If it were me, I would definitely go with the bearing and tools from LN Engineering. Looks like they’ve got it figured out. Also in my research I was surprised to learn that 50k is normal for a Porsche clutch unless it’s all highway driving. Good luck with your service. I’ll leave you with this:

Pelican coolers make parts for Porsche?  Huh...probably copied Yeti.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i forgot about the gochujang, thats what i will go with if i dont find it tonight. will order the harrissa for another time. looks to good not to try
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    Options
    i forgot about the gochujang, thats what i will go with if i dont find it tonight. will order the harrissa for another time. looks to good not to try

If you find this national brand in your supermarket just skip it. It may as well be salsa. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:

If you find this national brand in your supermarket just skip it. It may as well be salsa. 

ill go with the dea stuff, no need to screw around
    fukahwee maine

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    I buy my wings from Sams and then repackage in ziplocks then freeze.  Afterwards I'll wash the ziplock and reuse it.  Driving the wife crazy.  She'd rather I use a new ziplock every time.  What say you?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    New. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Food Saver.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    I buy my wings from Sams and then repackage in ziplocks then freeze.  Afterwards I'll wash the ziplock and reuse it.  Driving the wife crazy.  She'd rather I use a new ziplock every time.  What say you?
    I personally don't have a problem with that. I wouldn't reuse a bag that had chicken in it to store my sushi-grade fish, but then again, I don't reuse them because I'm lazy and they're cheap - I buy foodsaver and ziploc bags by the case.

And now, this:

Options
    TN_Egger said:

• fishlessman
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    write wings on the bag, fill and freeze. rinse under cold water to loosen wings, dump them out, refreeze bag for next time.  no washing needed
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    Options
    Watching a lawnmower drone tear some grass up outside my office. I don't see anyone controlling it either. I'm starting to get worried if Skynet's behind this. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    What could *possibly* go wrong?
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Watching a lawnmower drone tear some grass up outside my office. I don't see anyone controlling it either. I'm starting to get worried if Skynet's behind this. 

If its not trying to mow people down, I think we are safe.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    Options
    I think I just spotted a dude sitting in a van in the parking lot with a joystick. A hard day's labor sure has changed since I was a kid. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    One of my garage storage cabinets went to crap this morning. So I sawed it up and hit the trash. I now have tools laying everywhere in the garage until I come up with a cabinet replacement. I figured with the tools out I'd blow them off with the air compressor and give them a little attention. Than it came time to blow off my angle grinder case. Talk about the most over the top stupid case. I would like to know who thought this was a good case made for power tools? The angle grinder will be drug all over the place and under vehicles. Just like tools are meant to be used for. I almost need to make sure this case matches my nail polish and high heels when walking with it. The case itself collects all kinds of dust. Just seems a little odd for an angle grinder of all things. Am I missing something? 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Checking out my new drill. 

At first I had my doubts about all this cordless stuff. But between this drill and my cordless impact, I have to say they are the way to go. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I think I just spotted a dude sitting in a van in the parking lot with a joystick. A hard day's labor sure has changed since I was a kid. 
    so you spotted a dude sitting in a van in the parking lot with what you think is a  joystick
     @fishlessman, I'm new here so I let this one hang ,thanks for picking up my slack.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:

At first I had my doubts about all this cordless stuff. But between this drill and my cordless impact, I have to say they are the way to go. 
    the rage in ice fishing now is powering ice augers with that drill, no more two stroke gas engines. it will handle an 8 inch ice auger bit
    fukahwee maine

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    SGH said:

My Dad also picked one up. We used it to chip out some cement a few months back when prepping for a new garage door. They sure come in handy

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I thought there was a skateboard wheel on top for a second. You can imagine my disappointment.