Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What is Your Current Favorite Bourbon and/or Whisk(e)y-OT

Comments

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Finished a bottle of whistlepig rye last week... working on a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch now.  
    How is Whistle Pig?
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    My bottle has only had one drink poured out of it in a couple months. Heck, I think we still have liquor from our wedding 7yrs ago. 
    You are really slacking brother Double =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dharley

bubbajack said:
    Bulleit Bourbon for me, everyday. Orange label!
    I'm drinking the green (rye) now. It's delicious.

Note: I drink all whiskey with the three cubes, three fingers pour.

LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • dharley
    dharley said:
    Rebel Yell?
    I'll heavily disagree. I thought you were joking about the EW Black, but folks like what the they like. Rebel Yell is horrible. Like they mixed a pint of well whisky and a pint of well vodka and called it Rebel Yell. I really hope you are playing.

Aside from that, I enjoy all of you food posts. They are inspiring and you, sir, have serious skills.

I'm joking.  I wouldn't try that swill if someone held a gun to my head.

But EW Black is my daily drinker.  It's the perfect balance of whiskey when mixed in a can (no ice, ruins it) Coke Zero.  Anything else just tastes weird to me.
    Do you just take a swig from the can of coke and then pour in the booze?

USMC Veteran

• RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    edited July 2018
    I belong to the Knoxville Bourbon Society.  I'm a big bourbon fan.  my 2 favorites are Stagg Jr and Willett.  I enjoy Jeffersons Ocean, Eagle Rare, and Makers 46. Longbranch is a new one that's pretty decent.  I'm a big Jim Beam guy too.  it runs in the blood. I've got about 40 bottles of bourbon here at the house.  my buddy & the founder of KBS has about 150.  I'm also an avid cigar fan.

the pappy's are overrated.  you can find better bourbon at a helluva better price anywhere, anytime.
  • dharley

Theophan said:
    I'm not very knowledgeable about bourbon, but I've had several, and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bulleit, which I like better than several that have been raved about here.  I also like Eagle Rare as a nice change, might be my second favorite, but I keep trying other things and keep coming back to Bulleit.  The rest of you guys don't think much if it, I guess?
    No. It's highly regarded. I'm actually drinking the Rye from Bulleit now. I really like it. 

Side note: I have ben a forum member for a year or so. Thank you for your comments. Always helpful and informative without the pompous ****.

USMC Veteran

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2018
    Rebel Yell?
    We went to Gettysburg for the 145th anniversary of the battle and reenactment. Stayed at the Cashtown Inn which was AP Hills headquarters. Most of the reenactors stayed in character the entire time...cool yet weird. Sat on the porch talking history over a bottle of Rebel Yell. Good times. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    I know this is a bourbon post but when I visit Texas I sure like Rio Brazos Boxcar whiskey... 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Like the Elmer T- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    SGH said:
    One of my personal favorites. Especially after a good shave. 

What does this typically run cost wise? I’ve seen this recommended on several sites.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think Rebel Yell his a high antifreeze concentration, this is what it makes folks do...

SGH said:

What does this typically run cost wise? I’ve seen this recommended on several sites.
    In my neck of the woods it averages 60 bucks. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    SGH said:
    SGH said:

In my neck of the woods it averages 60 bucks. 
    Not bad at all. May need to pick some up.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I will be buying my first bottle of Kentucky made, Cassius Clay Straight Bourbon Whiskey, (8 year old, 100 proof) this weekend.

It is sparse, as they have recently began expanding their sales outside of the commonwealth. Obviously it is much easier here.

If you look for it, it will be a pretty nicely designed bottle with a tiny metal cannon on the lid. (The wheels turn and the cannon moves up and down)

It has won a couple of blind taste tests here locally the last couple of years. I have yet to taste it, but those that have, bought a bottle immediately thereafter.

It retails at around $50.00 per 750ml.

For the record: Basil Hayden.

Current BOC: Old Forrester, Bottled in Bond.

@nolaegghead

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Evan Williams, and I will gladly raise a glass or two with you anytime. Bourbon of the year, 2015. I prefer it to some of the boutique bourbons, out there, by far.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Makers Mark. Delicious, economical, and consistent. Makers 46 is good too, but I go with the original 99.9% of the time.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Of the US products, I like rye whiskey and Whistle Pig does it for me flavour wise.

Being a Brit, I have more experience with Scotch. I like Caol Ila and Lagavulin. Laphroig quarter cask is good and reasonably priced, Highland Park and Talisker are decent evey day whiskeys. Also Black Bush (Irish) as an every day drink.

All that being said, I've really cut back on whiskey drinking in the past 6 months, not even drunk a bottle in that time. I enjoy a glass or 2, but it's hard to moderate (too drinkable) and gives me a bad head afterwards. 
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited July 2018
    What they said.....
    My favorites are Elmer T. Lee, E.H. Taylor single barrel, Blantons.  All not easy to find (Elmer being the most difficult) I will also say that I have had Pappy 12 and 20 (including on 4th of July) and for me both lived up to the hype and are among the best I have had .......ever.   In full disclosure , one of my hobbies is collecting fine , rare bourbons. I have way more than I should!!!!!!!!
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507

My current fave is Blade and Bow. No pic because I drank it all. IMO Wathens is the best value bourbon when bought on sale, can be found around $38. As far as Pappy goes if you are at a bar that serves it check out the 12-15 year olds, I think it falls off after that and you pay for the age and not the taste. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    woodford for race day juleps, makers for cooking, crown for pounding with friends.  too blue collar to move up the ladder B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I like to keep my bourbon buys to under $40 a bottle.  I think there are plenty of good ones in that price range without having to spend more.  I am enjoying or have enjoyed the following; Evan Williams Black Label, Evan Williams White Label BiB, Old Grand Dad 114, Very Old Barton, Buffalo Trace, Sazarac Rye, Russell's' Reserve 10 year, Wild Turkey 101, Elijah Craig Small Batch, McKenna 10 year Single Barrel, Four Roses Yellow Label, and Old Nick Carolina Bourbon.  I like them in Old Fashioneds,  Manhattans, Whiskey Sours, with Ginger Ale and Lime, but mostly with a large format ice cube in a rocks glass.  I'd like to try an Elmer T. Lee and an E.H. Taylor Small Batch, but they are very limited here.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Elmer is limited everywhere. Excellent if you find it.
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited July 2018
    Eoin said:
    I like Caol Ila and Lagavulin. Laphroig quarter cask is good and reasonably priced, Highland Park and Talisker are decent evey day whiskeys. Also Black Bush (Irish) as an every day drink.

All that being said, I've really cut back on whiskey drinking in the past 6 months, not even drunk a bottle in that time. I enjoy a glass or 2, but it's hard to moderate (too drinkable) and gives me a bad head afterwards. 
    Strange, single malts are about the only hard liquor that doesn't give me a headache...or much of a hangover really  (mostly just dry mouth) if I overindulge-- >two wee drams.

I like most of the Islay malts well enough (esp. Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist) but Highland Park has been my favourite for a number of years...not just for "everday." Pretty hard to beat for all the things that make Scotch Scotch.

Never cared for Speysides or bourbon for that matter--too sweet  (gives me headaches). But then I don't like soft drinks either.

JMO
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • rowmsu
    rowmsu Posts: 58
    I love me some Whistle Pig Rye 10 Year. 
    Washington, DC  

1- LBGE
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Not many I don't like but Whistle Pig Rye tops the list. Always have a bottle of Woodford on hand though

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
     After touring the Four Roses distillery I was turned off, also owned by overseas companies 

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't the Japanese essential resurrect Four Roses back to top shelf where it belongs? For years it had been relegated to bottom of the barrel piss. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Has anyone tried Larceny? A co-worker mentioned them to me when we were talking bourbon. 
  • nolaegghead
    SonVolt said:
     After touring the Four Roses distillery I was turned off, also owned by overseas companies 

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't the Japanese essential resurrect Four Roses back to top shelf where it belongs? For years it had been relegated to bottom of the barrel piss. 
    I seem to remember that from an article I read.  So looked it up and you're right:  (from wikiwikiwikiwhaaat?!)

The brand was purchased by Seagram in 1943. It was the top selling brand of bourbon in the United States in the 1930s, 40s and 50s.[5] Around the end of the 1950s, despite the popularity of the brand, Seagram decided to discontinue the sale of Four Roses Bourbon within the United States in order to focus on sales of blended whiskey, although they introduced other brands of straight bourbons in the 1960s and 70s such as Benchmark and Eagle Rare.[5] Four Roses Kentucky straight bourbon marketing was shifted to Europe and Asia, which were rapidly growing markets at the time. In these markets, it became the top selling bourbon.[5] In the United States during this period, the Four Roses name was used on a blended whiskey, made mostly of neutral grain spirits and commonly seen as a sub-par "rotgut" brand.[6][7] Four Roses continued to be unavailable as a straight bourbon in the US market for more than forty years until the brand ownership changed in 2002 after Seagram was purchased by Vivendi, and then sold most of its brands to Diageo, which sold the Four Roses brand to Kirin, who discontinued the sale of blended whiskey to focus exclusively on Four Roses Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey.[5]

Jeffersons! They have many but all are small batch. The Jeffersons Ocean is my favorite. They story is great too.

In a nut shell, the distiller has a friend who owns a research ship that travels the world. He put a few barrels on board for 12 months. The ship crossed the equator several times, changes in temperature and the sway/slosh of the ocean constantly moving the bourbon in the barrels created something special.

Its spendy but damn good!

The standard is good, the reserve (as someone posted a pic of) is better.  But the ocean is my favorite. They also have one where they used already used Cabernet barrels.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • nolaegghead
    Matt86m said:
    Jeffersons! They have many but all are small batch. The Jeffersons Ocean is my favorite. They story is great too.

In a nut shell, the distiller has a friend who owns a research ship that travels the world. He put a few barrels on board for 12 months. The ship crossed the equator several times, changes in temperature and the sway/slosh of the ocean constantly moving the bourbon in the barrels created something special.

Its spendy but damn good!

The standard is good, the reserve (as someone posted a pic of) is better.  But the ocean is my favorite. They also have one where they used already used Cabernet barrels.
    There is a technique to rapidly age bourbon whereby the bourbon is hit with ultrasonic energy thereby accelerating the interaction with the oak charcoal.   This drastically reduced the cost, as storing barrels for years on end is expensive (esp when the storage facility collapses).