Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC or Yeti?

Comments

• jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    So is there a 20% off coupon or not?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    edited July 2018
    @mic2013 - Regarding your friend, you need to remind him, "It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission."
    Edit:  apologize for the hi-jack.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Man its hard to argue the price on the RTIC's.  Half the cost of Yeti and given that Yeti's patents expired its basically the exact same cooler now. I sure do love that new Gray Yeti though....

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Man its hard to argue the price on the RTIC's.  Half the cost of Yeti and given that Yeti's patents expired its basically the exact same cooler now. I sure do love that new Gray Yeti though....
    Patents expire?  Yeti was founded 12 years ago, and the earliest a design patent expires is 14 years, many 20 and they can often be renewed or maintained.  Since it takes years to get a patent, that clock starts when the patent is approved, not when invented or products sold.  For example, in the cases of their Tundra latches, those patents were approved in 2014 so they would expire in 2028 at the earliest.

I would give this a read.

Or just use google.

Patents expire?  Yeti was founded 12 years ago, and the earliest a design patent expires is 14 years, many 20 and they can often be renewed or maintained.  Since it takes years to get a patent, that clock starts when the patent is approved, not when invented or products sold.  For example, in the cases of their Tundra latches, those patents were approved in 2014 so they would expire in 2028 at the earliest.

Or just use google.

Ahh, thanks nola. I thought it was 12 years that the patents expired. It was my understanding that's why all the copycats have gone nuts in the last year or so. Appreciate the info.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    RTIC just had to redesign their products after they lost in court to Yeti. 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    funny I just uncovered an even older model orca I forgot I had apparently I have this model in 3 sizes as well, and in a cool light blue. I cant for the life of me remember where and why I got these but there they were in my basement in the area I keep my coolers but they were still in the box and for some reason I decided to look at the boxes today as they were buried behind a ton of crap and bam 3 new coolers

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • mlc2013
    just called my wife and asked her and apparently I bought these in the beginning of the year for a friend as I have the ability to get them at cost and his wife over ruled him and I decided to keep them saying we can never have enough coolers. I still dont recall this transaction but I guess im recalling getting old

Long Island NY    
  • TEXASBGE2018
    mlc2013 said:
    funny I just uncovered an even older model orca I forgot I had apparently I have this model in 3 sizes as well, and in a cool light blue. I cant for the life of me remember where and why I got these but there they were in my basement in the area I keep my coolers but they were still in the box and for some reason I decided to look at the boxes today as they were buried behind a ton of crap and bam 3 new coolers

Man why can't I be this lucky? All I find in my garage is old 2x4's from some project I finished 5 years ago and a few nails.

• mlc2013
    @TEXASBGE2018 if it were my garage that is probably what I would find as well check the basement thats where all the good stuff is
    LOL.
    Apparently Im a very generous person and like to help friends and in the end im really helping myself so this generosity thing is paying off

Long Island NY    
  • TEXASBGE2018
    mlc2013 said:
    @TEXASBGE2018 if it were my garage that is probably what I would find as well check the basement thats where all the good stuff is
    LOL.
    Apparently Im a very generous person and like to help friends and in the end im really helping myself so this generosity thing is paying off

I'm in Texas. We don't have basements hardly here. Wish we did sometimes. I'm sure they can suck also though.

• mlc2013
    @TEXASBGE2018 well that explains why you cant find cool stuff in there. I use to live in FL and we did not have any basements either and trusty me I never found anything fun in my garage except a gator once and plenty of snakes. 
    As far as basements sucking I use to live on the bay up until hurricane (superstorm) Sandy and there went that house but that basement always was damp and disquieting we never used it. I now live about 1 mile from the bay and it allows me to have a basement, yeah I put a french drain system in it as im paranoid about water now. Its great we set up a game room and a TV room and a bar and still have dry storage I have no idea how I lived without one for so long.
    Long Island NY    
  • oldmandawg
    oldmandawg Posts: 83
    RTIC hands down imho.
  • The KENAI 45 is a great option if you are looking for a rotomolded cooler in the 45QT size.
  • nolaegghead
    The KENAI 45 is a great option if you are looking for a rotomolded cooler in the 45QT size.
    Are they IBGC Bear Resistant Certified?  Asking for a friend, who is a bear.
    The Pelican is bear proof... I may put that to the test later tonight  B)B)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I’m starting to really like the Coleman extreme. The wheels and handle make it a breeze to move around. Ice retention is pretty dog gone good to. For the past 2 weeks it’s been my most used cooler. That title was formerly held by my Yeti 50. 
    Hey I love rotomolded coolers as much as any one. But there is no denying that for something’s the Coleman is simply more practical and convenient. It’s kind of like the BGE vs Jambo. For normal, small cooks the BGE simply makes more since. 

The Coleman kicks a$$. And it does it for about 35 bucks if you catch it on sale.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TEXASBGE2018
    Beyond someone who is out in the ocean or lake fishing what is the real need for a rotomolded cooler? If you have easy access to ice do you really need it? Don’t get me wrong I have 2 and will buy another one eventually but I don’t need it. For camping where you can get ice easily nothing more than what @SGH mentioned is needed really. I may have to go pick one of those colemans up. I realize I’m becoming my father more and more. Collecting coolers, grills, flashlights. If I start collecting baseball hats I will have hit full transformation.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Beyond someone who is out in the ocean or lake fishing what is the real need for a rotomolded cooler? If you have easy access to ice do you really need it? Don’t get me wrong I have 2 and will buy another one eventually but I don’t need it. For camping where you can get ice easily nothing more than what @SGH mentioned is needed really. I may have to go pick one of those colemans up. I realize I’m becoming my father more and more. Collecting coolers, grills, flashlights. If I start collecting baseball hats I will have hit full transformation.
    Bear proof is a real thing. Some parks require the coolers to be bear proof. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    WeberWho said:
    This ^^^^^^^^ is when a rotomolded cooler makes perfect sense. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    I own several RTICs and have given several way as presents. I won a Yeti the other day, and I didn’t turn it down! A 35qt with a Budweiser symbol on the top. It does the exact same job as the RTICs that I own(except this one was free)  
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    What patents did Yeti ever have for their coolers? They have one on the silicone closures, but anything else?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    WeberWho said:
    This.  Also, if I’m camping for a weekend, I’d rather not spend like $6 for a bag of ice in the camp store.  I like that the ice I paid $2 for at 7-11 lasts.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• TEXASBGE2018
    What patents did Yeti ever have for their coolers? They have one on the silicone closures, but anything else?
    I honestly I am not sure. Nolaegghead sent a link above that lists all of their patents if you are interested. I had just heard that through the grapevine that they had patents expire which is why in the last year everyone went 90 miles an hour ripping off their designs.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Acn said:
    WeberWho said:
    This.  Also, if I’m camping for a weekend, I’d rather not spend like $6 for a bag of ice in the camp store.  I like that the ice I paid $2 for at 7-11 lasts.

This is true. I just usually go camping where I am at least somewhat close to a walmart somewhere. Usually we take multiple coolers. 1 for cold foods, 1 for drinks, and 1 for ice only. I’ve never gone camping and probably never will go camping anywhere that I need 5-6 days of ice retention. 

• nolaegghead

Or just use google.

I honestly I am not sure. Nolaegghead sent a link above that lists all of their patents if you are interested. I had just heard that through the grapevine that they had patents expire which is why in the last year everyone went 90 miles an hour ripping off their designs.
    Sometimes companies fail to keep up the renewal payments. A guy I dealt with was big on saying his system was patented, but had let them lapse due to not paying for renewal.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    edited July 2018
    An underrated benefit of a rotomolded cooler is that you can sit or stand on it.