Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franklins in Austin still have long waits?

Options
Heading to Austin in two weeks and would love to check out franklins. However my wife isn’t a fan of bbq and we are only there two days so I can’t sit in line for a half a day. Are the waits still crazy for lunch on Saturday? If so, what’s a ln alternative good bbq joint walking distance from the main downtown area (staying at Hilton)?  

Thanks!

Comments

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Stiles and Valentina’s would be high on my list and skip franklins 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    You can order online and pickup at a certain time. 
    Suwanee, GA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    ChuckR said:
    I thought that was just for bulk or whole brisket orders?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    ChuckR said:
    Just checked the website. You can preorder by the 1/2 lb To Go Only.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Franklins always has a line. Every day no matter what. Valentina’s is a good alternative. For Franklins, It’s a risk but if you don’t want to wait a crazy long time I’ve gotten there at like 1:00 before waiting about an hour. The bad thing is you may not be able to get what you want. To preorder you have to order a minimum of 5 pounds.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    dmchicago said:
    ChuckR said:
    It’s a 5 pound minimum

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2018
    Options
    busmania said:
    Heading to Austin in two weeks and would love to check out franklins. However my wife isn’t a fan of bbq and we are only there two days so I can’t sit in line for a half a day. Are the waits still crazy for lunch on Saturday? If so, what’s a ln alternative good bbq joint walking distance from the main downtown area (staying at Hilton)?  

Thanks!
    Iron works is a walk from the Hilton but it’s not considered to be one of the “greats”. Franklin is probably 10-12 blocks from the Hilton. Saturday is a no-go zone for Franklins for me. Minimum 5 hours to eat and if you show up after 8 forget about it. 

Other very good spots that are 5 min uber ride:

Mickethwaite Craft Meats
    LA Barbecue
    Terry Blacks Barbecue

my faves are also Valentina’s and Stiles Switch. They are both 20 min from the Hilton in opposite directions. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HurricaneEddie1
    Options
    I’m going Labor Day weekend and planning to go Friday AM.  Still such a long line mid-week?
    Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I’m going Labor Day weekend and planning to go Friday AM.  Still such a long line mid-week?

Every day. The line starts at around 7am-8am every day and if you aren’t there by 10:30 you are eating whatever’s left and you won’t eat until around 2:30-3pm. 

• HurricaneEddie1
    Options

Every day. The line starts at around 7am-8am every day and if you aren’t there by 10:30 you are eating whatever’s left and you won’t eat until around 2:30-3pm. 
    Guess i’ll line up at 7:30 then.
    Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes. Especially holiday fridays. You are a masochist if you go on a holiday. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    There will be people in line by 5 am. Last time I got there at 7:30 on a Saturday we ate at 2. This was not a holiday weekend. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Yep.  

7:00 seems like a reasonably civil hour so a lot of people target that.  6:55 is the time to arrive.  Even on a Saturday you can usually get in the first 20 or so in line.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I think people underestimate the dedication that College Kids have to eating good BBQ. That's 1 of the reasons the lines are always insane. There is a reason that Aaron Franklin won a James Beard award. The BBQ is, I would argue the best in the entire country. You are gonna wait hours for that no matter what day it is.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    To me it sounds like a better idea to pony up the cash and just buy 5 lbs of meat so you don't have to wait.  BBQ leftovers aren't half bad... :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited July 2018
    Options
    To me it sounds like a better idea to pony up the cash and just buy 5 lbs of meat so you don't have to wait.  BBQ leftovers aren't half bad... :)

Ya, that's why I've thought about just ordering 1 whole brisket. its $110 dollars and covers the preorder requirement. Split between say 5-10 people that's not bad and each person would get between 1/2lb-1lb of meat. The idea of going up there and smiling as you walk by all the poor souls sitting in the hot Texas sun (which I've done a few times) makes me laugh. 

• jamesj
    jamesj Posts: 36
    Options
    Is the BBQ good? Yes, worth waiting in line for that long... No, if you have nothing else to do, sure why not. If you have a rental car drive 15 minutes to the east to a town called Lockhart. And you can do the trifecta, Smitty's, Blacks, and Kruez. Lockhart is the unofficial barbecue capital of Texas. All within walking distance. Smitty's is my personal favorite. 
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    jamesj said:
    Is the BBQ good? Yes, worth waiting in line for that long... No, if you have nothing else to do, sure why not. If you have a rental car drive 15 minutes to the east to a town called Lockhart. And you can do the trifecta, Smitty's, Blacks, and Kruez. Lockhart is the unofficial barbecue capital of Texas. All within walking distance. Smitty's is my personal favorite. 
    ^This^
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lockhart is 45 minutes from austin (if you can go 40 miles in 15 minutes you drive faster than me). It’s a fun place to visit and we enjoy it when we do. That said, there are 5 places in austin that blow away anything in Lockhart. Smittys  is the best just because of the old school pits (the fire is on the floor about 2 feet from where you order. I think OSHA is on the payroll at Smittys. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Pits at Smittys 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    dmchicago said:
    ChuckR said:
    It’s a 5 pound minimum
     Hmmm, pre order an entire brisket, keep 2lbs for you and walk to the end of the line.  Sell remaining brisket at small markup.  Eat for free or even make a little extra $$.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    dmchicago said:
    ChuckR said:
    It’s a 5 pound minimum
     Hmmm, pre order an entire brisket, keep 2lbs for you and walk to the end of the line.  Sell remaining brisket at small markup.  Eat for free or even make a little extra $$.
    That would be interesting to see. Aaron would probably come outside and share a beer with you. He’s that kinda dude.

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Pity that the channel seems to have thrown that guy under the bus.  I liked his videos.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I would never wait over about 45 mins for BBQ since there so many good places in austin and I am not into the I visited and ate here game. We have Killens in Pearland which is rated very high but I do not go since it is usually an hour wait even if only about 25 miles from me.   Try the other places or go to Lockhart
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I think it’s worth waiting at least once. I think it really is probably the best brisket in America. The waiting is part of the fun. Grab a free lawn chair and a few beers and hang out. I wouldn’t want to wait for 6 hours though on a regular basis. No food is that good. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Sometimes you can experience "better to be lucky than good" as in my first pilgrimage to Austin.  I rolled into Valentina's around noon (Tues, Dec 2016)) and commenced act one of meat coma.  Great brisket.  Headed to my Austin hotel and rolled past Franklins.  Line was short-not more than 20 people.  Decided to get to hotel then hit Franklins.  Got in line around 1:30 PM-eating brisket around 2:15 PM-definitely the closing act of a meat coma afternoon.  So you cannot predict it.
    Next day I got in the line around 8 AM (number 30) and enjoyed the entire scene before the obligatory meat coma overdose round two.
    If you are in Austin and want to experience the holy grail of brisket then give yourself the time to experience Franklins.  There are a few others close by that are top-notch to hit after Franklins, chief among those is La Barbeque (only a couple of miles away).
    I wil make a return visit allocating more time to include the outlying brisket stops in 2019.   Rambling on a Friday PM- before a LEO fueled evening.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I was very lucky to be in Austin and staying maybe a mile from Franklin during the middle of the ice storm this past January.  At noon mid-week, the line was only an hour long.  

I bought about twice as much Q as any grown man my size should eat in a day, and devoured it.  

Still, I'd actually like to get back there someday, get up early, and wait in line.  I think people maybe miss that the line at Franklin at this point is part of the experience.  Sometimes it’s the journey as much as the destination.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would wait in line for a week to eat at Rene Redzepi's Noma in Copenhagen.  I hear reservations aren't open for eons.