Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! Need Temporary Power source to move wine cabinet.

Options
SSQUAL612
SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
I will be moving to Texas soon and trying to determine the best way to transport my Vino Temp Wine Cabinet so wine maintains a reasonable temp.  It's a 2500BTU 5AMP system Power is 115V 60Hz 15 AMP.  I will most likely have it on the very back of a 26' UHAUL since height is adequate. I've been in consumption mode with pending move so down to  approximately 200 bottles  Helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.    

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2018
    Options
    A couple of things.....
    When is the move date?
    How much time do you anticipate the move to be?
    Is it all on one trip?
    200 bottles is the estimated total amount?
    How many coolers do you have? Or can you get?
    Did this years ago with 16 coolers with about 15-18 bottles per. Kept on back end of van, stacked on other objects, very few stacked one on top of the other. Checked ice twice per day.
    Hate sitting wine in a wine cabinet. Too many opportunities for things to go really bad. A couple bumps, a blow out, and everything is effected. Rental Van's are nice, but make lousy cold storage, and even worse, wine and cabinet storage.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I have nothing of real use to add here, except I’d love to see some photos of a 200 bottle wine cooler. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    A couple of things.....how much time do you anticipate the move to be?
    Is it all on one trip?
    Renting a 26" Truck and will tow a small 5X10 trailer so going to get it in one trip.  Will have a buddy driving with me so we will only stop for fuel so anticipate about 30 hours...will stop in Springtown outside of Fort Worth to unload a couple of things at a friends and probably stay the night, but I'll have access to power then and next day complete the trip to Tyler.   Thank you for your help...this is the worst time of year to be moving wine without temp control. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    YukonRon said:
    A couple of things.....how much time do you anticipate the move to be?
    Is it all on one trip?
    Renting a 26" Truck and will tow a small 5X10 trailer so going to get it in one trip.  Will have a buddy driving with me so we will only stop for fuel so anticipate about 30 hours...will stop in Springtown outside of Fort Worth to unload a couple of things at a friends and probably stay the night, but I'll have access to power then and next day complete the trip to Tyler.   Thank you for your help...this is the worst time of year to be moving wine without temp control. 
    Check out my original reply, just edited it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I recommend a party.  Then buy new wine once in Texas.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I have nothing of real use to add here, except I’d love to see some photos of a 200 bottle wine cooler. 
    Here’s some pics when it had more bottles...it holds 440 750ml bottles and one point she was full.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    I recommend a party.  Then buy new wine once in Texas.
    Okay...5:00...everyone is welcome to partake. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Here’s some pics when it had more bottles...it holds 440 750ml bottles and one point she was full.
    Good lord. You really really really like wine.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Jeremiah said:
    that will take a heck of an inverter--load it with dry ice blocks and keep it closed
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Use an inverter and run it off the uhaul battery
    I think this what I will wind up having to do for space considerations etc.  Thank you.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    There was a Seinfeld episode where George needed a power source to move the Frogger video game from their old hangout while keeping his highest score.  May want to check that for tips.
    I love that episode but as I recall Frogger didn't make it.  I hope to have a better end result.   =)
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hauling wine inside of a cooler doesn’t seem right. The smoothest ride is the front, the worst is at the back. Unless you get extremely high temps I don’t expect you would damage any in 30 hours. Here’s a thought. Put your wines in cartons. Stack them with some dry ice in plastic. Wrap the whole thing snug as possible with shipping blankets. Good luck. 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Jeremiah said:
    It was part of my rations for Earthquake preparedness. 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Did you buy that wine cabinet at Bed, Bath, and Beyond?
    It would have definitely been in the Beyond department...nope, Costco.com with free delivery.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Little Rock, AR

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Smart Thinking. For you or to trade when the scumbags start calling? Methinks hard liquors might be better.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I don't know anything about that wine rig but it sure looks like (as noted by @YukonRon) it is not designed for over-the-road travel.  Enough individual bottle storage space to bubble wrap each one??  
    Regardless, good luck with the move.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Did you buy that wine cabinet at Bed, Bath, and Beyond?
    It would have definitely been in the Beyond department...nope, Costco.com with free delivery.
    Just FYI, boxed wine stacks a lot better..............

Little Rock, AR

• SSQUAL612
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Smart Thinking. For you or to trade when the scumbags start calling? Methinks hard liquors might be better.
    Oh I have a full bar as well with plenty of Scotch, Bourbon and Tequila.   Have enough ammo to keep the scumbags at bay and I'm conservative when it comes to gun ownership...I think two for every window is a nice start. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Oh I have a full bar as well with plenty of Scotch, Bourbon and Tequila.   Have enough ammo to keep the scumbags at bay and I'm conservative when it comes to gun ownership...I think two for every window is a nice start. 

Welcome to Texas. You will fit in just fine.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    rent a refrigerated moving truck. i believe penske has them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Don't think my furniture will fare too well.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    my whole house is refrigerated at times during the winter =) thats not a furniture problem. i agee with the others, you dont want the bottles laying like that in the cooler, you need to atleast bubble wrap them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    my whole house is refrigerated at times during the winter =) thats not a furniture problem. i agee with the others, you dont want the bottles laying like that in the cooler, you need to atleast bubble wrap them
    Think I will have to bubble wrap em and go with inverter just for space considerations...I have few weeks so we'll keep opening a bottle or more a day till then.    Appreciate the info.  
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    You're going to need a very large inverter and it will probably draw down the battery pretty fast.  Check sizes before committing to using one.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA