Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! Need Temporary Power source to move wine cabinet.

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    2400 btu is nothin.  inverter 
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Jeremiah said:
    I have nothing of real use to add here, except I’d love to see some photos of a 200 bottle wine cooler. 
    Here’s some pics when it had more bottles...it holds 440 750ml bottles and one point she was full.
    that will take a heck of an inverter--load it with dry ice blocks and keep it closed
    I think that is what I'm going to wind up doing...I'll bubblewrap the bottles as others suggested.  I'll be able to plug it in within 24-30 hours so it should work.  Thank you for your input.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Not an electrician, but isn't that 1800 WATTS on the draw? That's quite the task for an inverter. 

Only option I see is shipping it with a freight courier in a reefer unit. Box it up, throw it on a pallet, and let them handle it.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    The specs that were given was 5 amps at 110 Volts which would be over 500 watts.  I would think a regular 12V battery would last 2-3 hours at that rate.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm in the drink it all before or gift whatever is left to your friends camp.  Unfortunately, as great a friends as you may have, you probably have some really kick ass bottles that you'd rather not part with.  May I suggest a SoCal ButtBlast?  Many of the degenerates on here would happily show up.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Hire someone to drive the truck.  You and a buddy roady sody it to Texas with the wine!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SSQUAL612
    Options
    Shiff said:
    The specs that were given was 5 amps at 110 Volts which would be over 500 watts.  I would think a regular 12V battery would last 2-3 hours at that rate.
    What about the inverter dry ice combo?  It won’t be running continuously & I could set at 65 so it wouldn’t cycle on as much. 
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    You are going to love Tyler!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    2400 btu is less than 3 amps.  Need 3x watts to start the compressor, that's less than 1000 watts, well within the range of a $140 inverter.  Once it's running, it will use under 300 watts.
    Options
    I want to Thank all of you for your input and help with this dilemma.  One of the things that I really admire about this forum is how everyone is willing to share their knowledge about any subject whether it's Egg related or not.   Appreciate all the comments and looking forward to meeting some of you in Texas.  
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    I would not attempt to move them in your cooler, personally unless you can pack so much bubble wrap they cannot move and your cooler is also packed in tight, remember any cooler exchanges air so make sure it can still function, nothing blocking airflow.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I want to Thank all of you for your input and help with this dilemma.  One of the things that I really admire about this forum is how everyone is willing to share their knowledge about any subject whether it's Egg related or not.   Appreciate all the comments and looking forward to meeting some of you in Texas.  
    Helpful yes, and a lot of armchair debates ...myself included 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I would put some padding under the cabinet and between the cabinet and the wall of the van or other boxes if that can be done without hitting any of the coils. Even if there are coils underneath, maybe those anti fatigue mats like they have at Harbor Freight may work.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Penske or Ryder will rent you a refrigerated moving truck that will have a divider. You can use the divider to only cool the forward half of the truck and then put the furniture in the other half. We use them for large catering gigs all the time. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    use a wine moving service most collectors use them for transporting higher end wines.  They will ship you the boxes and all you need to do is pack them.  Some services even offer to pack them for you.   
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Penske or Ryder will rent you a refrigerated moving truck that will have a divider. You can use the divider to only cool the forward half of the truck and then put the furniture in the other half. We use them for large catering gigs all the time. 
    Thanks but a Refer Truck requires a CDL.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I don't think you have to have CDL if for personal use. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Not all of them do - just depends on the size of the truck. Here's a Penske that's non CDL: https://www.pensketruckrental.com/commercial-truck-rental/commercial-trucks/medium-duty-trucks/18-26-foot-refrigerated-truck/

Also you can hire a Wine Moving company: http://www.viptransport.com/residential-services/wine-moving/ 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SSQUAL612
    edited June 2018
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I don't think you have to have CDL if for personal use. 
    They are air brake equipped...CDL required.   Website says CDL required then link takes you to Non CDL so I called & it’s State dependent, but they do NOT rent refers for 1 way rental. 

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I have done something similar to this. I ended up going with original wine boxes, any wine shop will gladly give them to you, under lots of moving blankets. They will never get warm. Maybe up a few degrees. Plus I am pretty sure you need to leave the wine fridge upright for 24 hours after moving unplugged to settle, similar to a fridge.

Good luck on the move.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA