Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ in Every State

thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,352
This is an MSN slide show which can be a bit annoying to navigate.

Heads up
Texas: Franklin's NOT Snow's
NC: Skylight Inn

=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• you can always tell when a grilling holiday is around the corner. The "Best of Lists" come out of the woodwork. Texas Monthly repackaged their "50 Best" (which comes out every 2 years and this is an off year) with a new cover and "10 new joints you must try now" that have all been mentioned before. They tried to add new content by adding "best Desserts" at bbq joints. I bought it. It sucked. I am a lemming. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • thetrim
    you can always tell when a grilling holiday is around the corner. The "Best of Lists" come out of the woodwork. Texas Monthly repackaged their "50 Best" (which comes out every 2 years and this is an off year) with a new cover and "10 new joints you must try now" that have all been mentioned before. They tried to add new content by adding "best Desserts" at bbq joints. I bought it. It sucked. I am a lemming. 
    I think that's the one my brother just mailed to me.  Your comments explain why I ended up with a copy.  Haha
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim said:
    you can always tell when a grilling holiday is around the corner. The "Best of Lists" come out of the woodwork. Texas Monthly repackaged their "50 Best" (which comes out every 2 years and this is an off year) with a new cover and "10 new joints you must try now" that have all been mentioned before. They tried to add new content by adding "best Desserts" at bbq joints. I bought it. It sucked. I am a lemming. 
    I think that's the one my brother just mailed to me.  Your comments explain why I ended up with a copy.  Haha
    I knew I'd been had before I got home. I read it all anyway. Desserts.... pfffft.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Blackberry cobbler at SaltLick.  Really the only dessert I’ll order.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I've got some work to do...only one on the list that I have tried ( a couple of times) is Franklin's.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    I know one thing... here in Alabama it definitely is NOT Big Bob's Gibsons. That place is embarrassingly overrated. 

EDIT: So I checked the list and yep, Big Bob's is rated #1. I work just down the road from that nasty shiit hole. How the owner can win competitions yet serve lousy bland and dry BBQ with run of the mill canned beans and slaw and take the top spot year after year is a mystery. Their customers are a bunch of blue hairs that still think it's 1960 and Bob ain't dead. Well, he's dead. Food sucks now. Has for a long, long time. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i have yet to be to bobs here in Alabama but plan to one day, I have heard the same thing @sonvolt is saying.  I am headed to Charleston next week and we are planning on going to Rodney Scott's while we are there, I am excited to try it.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• thetrim
    I thought the same about The Shed in Ocean Springs, MS.  I stopped there on the way to Brisket Camp in 2016.  It was a waste of time, money, and stomach space. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Kent8621 said:
    i have yet to be to bobs here in Alabama but plan to one day, I have heard the same thing @sonvolt is saying.  I am headed to Charleston next week and we are planning on going to Rodney Scott's while we are there, I am excited to try it.
    Try Lewis's in Charleston, SC you can thank me later.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    SonVolt said:
    I know one thing... here in Alabama it definitely is NOT Big Bob's Gibsons. That place is embarrassingly overrated. 

EDIT: So I checked the list and yep, Big Bob's is rated #1. I work just down the road from that nasty shiit hole. How the owner can win competitions yet serve lousy bland and dry BBQ with run of the mill canned beans and slaw and take the top spot year after year is a mystery. Their customers are a bunch of blue hairs that still think it's 1960 and Bob ain't dead. Well, he's dead. Food sucks now. Has for a long, long time. 

This is the place with the white BBQ sauced chicken right? The BBQ sauce that is like 50% Mayo and 50% apple cider vinegar with some pepper thrown in? That Chris Lilly guy is on BBQ shows all the time. I think he is a big Komodo Kamado guy right?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    Kent8621 said:

Best BBQ in Decatur is Smokey C's IMO.  We had a really awesome Texas style BBQ joint several years back that served killer brisket, but they didn't last long. I've heard Chuckwagon in Huntsville is best in the area though. I still haven't been. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    thetrim said:
    I thought the same about The Shed in Ocean Springs, MS.  I stopped there on the way to Brisket Camp in 2016.  It was a waste of time, money, and stomach space. 
    I live five miles from it and I agree. I used to take work visitors there that insisted but I consider it rather ordinary. He makes excellent sauces and rubs at a separate facility in town. He also wins a lot of contests so he is capable. That means no excuses.
  • thetrim
    The best BBQ in Alabama is Pruett's BBQ in Gadsden.  Their best dish is Fried Chicken.  Haha!!! 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Brother Trim......I would have to say the SC choice (is Good)....but would get argument also from those in state. Perhaps the source of information may be flawed....but then again, you / we will never get folks to agree on the best Que.. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SonVolt
    thetrim said:
    The best BBQ in Alabama is Pruett's BBQ in Gadsden.  Their best dish is Fried Chicken.  Haha!!! 

First time I ever had a pickle on a BBQ sandwich was at Pruett's. Used to eat there all the time on way to visit my grandparents in Gadsden.  Haven't been there in a decade or more...  
  • Kent8621
    SonVolt said:
    Kent8621 said:

Best BBQ in Decatur is Smokey C's IMO.  We had a really awesome Texas style BBQ joint several years back that served killer brisket, but they didn't last long. I've heard Chuckwagon in Huntsville is best in the area though. I still haven't been. 

I have heard good things about chuck wagon but have yet to go, we go to smokeys in Madison sometimes or lawlers when the do the two taters for $12 hard to beat those.

Boiler Up!!

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    thetrim said:
    I live five miles from it and I agree. I used to take work visitors there that insisted but I consider it rather ordinary. He makes excellent sauces and rubs at a separate facility in town. He also wins a lot of contests so he is capable. That means no excuses.
    The Shed is definitely mediocre. 
    New Orleans LA
  • thetrim
    @SGH told me about the Shed, but after the fact.  I would've rather grabbed a Whataburger in Defuniak Springs and gotten to Nawlins earlier.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Legume said:
    Blackberry cobbler at SaltLick.  Really the only dessert I’ll order.
    it is really good. definitely the only bbq dessert I ever get
  • Kent8621 said:
    you have to go to John Lewis bbq right by Rodney's place. He was Franklin's pitmaster when he won all the accolades. The guys is a wizard. I will say that Rodney Scott changed my world when I ate some of his whole hog though. Both of those guys have made a big impact on the way I cook bbq. One with pig and the other with beef (brisket, ribs and sausage)
  • thetrim
    thetrim said:
    I knew I'd been had before I got home. I read it all anyway. Desserts.... pfffft.
    Is this the mag your we’re talking about?

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Kansas' and Missouri's winners are both in the Kansas City metro, not surprisingly   Joe's Kansas City BBQ (Formerly Oklahoma Joe's) is 1000% accurate.  FANTASTIC.  The Missouri entry is LC's, and I can't remember if that one is egghead forum-approved or not.   It's an easy drive to KC, so I'd be curious to get the report from other guys and gals on here. 

I can tell you that Rosedale BBQ and Arthur Bryant's are trash.    

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 said:
    you have to go to John Lewis bbq right by Rodney's place. He was Franklin's pitmaster when he won all the accolades. The guys is a wizard. I will say that Rodney Scott changed my world when I ate some of his whole hog though. Both of those guys have made a big impact on the way I cook bbq. One with pig and the other with beef (brisket, ribs and sausage)

we will definitely try that out, we will be out there the whole week with my wife's whole side  of the family so any excuse to slip away I will take it.

Boiler Up!!

• jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    SaltySam said:
    Kansas' and Missouri's winners are both in the Kansas City metro, not surprisingly   Joe's Kansas City BBQ (Formerly Oklahoma Joe's) is 1000% accurate.  FANTASTIC.  The Missouri entry is LC's, and I can't remember if that one is egghead forum-approved or not.   It's an easy drive to KC, so I'd be curious to get the report from other guys and gals on here. 

I can tell you that Rosedale BBQ and Arthur Bryant's are trash.    
    It’s been forever since I’ve been to LCs. It’s in a rough area and I’m on the KS side so I’d pass at least 2 other places I’d rather go to get there. Good stuff though. Best in MO is Q39. 
  • SonVolt
    I had to go eat at Big Bob Gibsons so you could all see for yourselves the quality of brisket served daily. Oxidized dried-up jerky right from the get-go. 

• thetrim said:
    thetrim said:
    Is this the mag your we’re talking about?

That be the one. Sitting right beside me on my desk as we speak.
  • Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:

we will definitely try that out, we will be out there the whole week with my wife's whole side  of the family so any excuse to slip away I will take it.
    https://lewisbarbecue.com/
  • Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    In Kentucky, hands down it is Frank's house. @lousubcap puts them all to shame...
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:

Dont forget the corn bread its like pudding, fantastic!

Johns Creek, Georgia