Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC or Yeti?

Options

Comments

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    I have both. RTIC 45 and 20. Yeti 20. I like them all especially the RTIC 45 which I snagged from Amazon in 2017 for $122.49. A sincere thanks to YETI for that one.

XL BGE
    MD
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Woadie said:
    Like many here I have both.  I can’t really tell the difference.   I had the two yetis before I got the rtic.  As long as you cool the cooler down before you add the food/drink and then ice you’ll be fine.  
    They’re equivalent.  Shop based on price.  Only advantage of RTIC is size is true, unlike Yeti.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Which ever is cheaper....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    I have decided to make the jump and get a new cooler, 45 quart (or there abouts).  I was set on getting an RTIC due to cost, but then found out I can get a 30% discount on a Yeti which will put the totals within the $20-$20 dollar range.  I know we have both RTIC and Yeti fans here so what say you?
    If you are looking for something right around 45 quarts, then a Yeti 50 May serve you well. Let me say right up front that I’m not a Yetitard. Quite the contrary. I’m the bright lad that wrote the famous Yeti Land song for all the Yetitards. 
    However, the Yeti 50 has the added benefit of extra depth that most coolers in this size range do not have. This fills a particular need for me so I give the Yeti 50 real high marks. You can stand wine bottles, 1/5ths of liquor etc, etc straight up in a Yeti 50 due to the extra depth.
     All the rotomolded coolers are built rock solid. Can’t really go wrong with any them. Base your decision on what you need. Again, the Yeti 50 filled a particular need for me perfectly so that’s what I bought. With that said, if anyone else duplicates the height/depth of the Yeti 50 in an equal size cooler I will buy it and get rid of the Yeti. Not a Yeti fan at all. However they offered something that did exactly what I wanted. 
    With all the above said, dollar for dollar, there is no denying that RTIC is the way to go unless the added depth feature fills a need for you. 
    RTIC, kicking a$$ and taking names. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    I own quite a few yeti coolers. 20, 45, 65 and two soft coolers. After the whole NRA issue I won’t be purchasing another of their products. If I were in the market I’d look at Pelican. I’ve heard nothing but good about their coolers. Yeti makes a great product. Just don’t agree with their business decision. 
    Madison, AL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    lwrehm said:
    I have decided to make the jump and get a new cooler, 45 quart (or there abouts).  I was set on getting an RTIC due to cost, but then found out I can get a 30% discount on a Yeti which will put the totals within the $20-$20 dollar range.  I know we have both RTIC and Yeti fans here so what say you?
    If you are looking for something right around 45 quarts, then a Yeti 50 May serve you well. Let me say right up front that I’m not a Yetitard. Quite the contrary. I’m the bright lad that wrote the famous Yeti Land song for all the Yetitards. 
    However, the Yeti 50 has the added benefit of extra depth that most coolers in this size range do not have. This fills a particular need for me so I give the Yeti 50 real high marks. You can stand wine bottles, 1/5ths of liquor etc, etc straight up in a Yeti 50 due to the extra depth.
     All the rotomolded coolers are built rock solid. Can’t really go wrong with any them. Base your decision on what you need. Again, the Yeti 50 filled a particular need for me perfectly so that’s what I bought. With that said, if anyone else duplicates the height/depth of the Yeti 50 in an equal size cooler I will buy it and get rid of the Yeti. Not a Yeti fan at all. However they offered something that did exactly what I wanted. 
    With all the above said, dollar for dollar, there is no denying that RTIC is the way to go unless the added depth feature fills a need for you. 
    RTIC, kicking a$$ and taking names. 

I want one of those. I don't have room for it, have no way to move it around, but I want one.

FWIW, my Pelican 65 holds ice.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I just use my SRF foam cooler. Last of a dying breed.  Now you get some fiber wrap shît. 
  • SGH
    Options
    I just use my SRF foam cooler. Last of a dying breed.  Now you get some fiber wrap shît. 
    I actually just bought a cheap styrofoam cooler to put inside of a rubber floating pool cooler. As I stood there and gave them 2 dollars for the styrofoam cooler, I kind of felt stupid knowing that I have over two thousand dollars worth of rotomolded coolers. Funny how sometimes the simple things win out though.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    GregW said:
    I love my Coleman Extreme. I have a inner peace and calm about me when I go to sleep, knowing that nobody will bother with stealing it.

None of my RTIC coolers hold ice as long as my Coleman Extreme.  You're right, there is always the theft consideration too.
    Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    rtic45 holds 45 quarts or 36 cans of beer

yeti45 holds 37.6 quarts or 28 cans of beer

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I have one of each- I couldnt tell any difference on any of the 'features' and or benefits.

I also dont go days on ice either at most 24 hours.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I have a Cabela's 60 quart cooler, much less expensive than the Yeti, yet better.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    SGH said:
    If you are looking for something right around 45 quarts, then a Yeti 50 May serve you well. 
    The Yeti 50 is discontinued now.  I kept trying to find someone to swap my 65 for their 50.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Never had an rtic, but from looking from the photos it has the same handles as my yeti did and I prefer the molded handles on my pelican. Maybe if you have an opportunity try handling one the coolers loaded and see if the handles are comfortable for you. Also think of where you store your cooler as well, as for me in some applications the cooler just fits and the rope handles fall to the sides and I have to awkwardly move until I was able to grab handles. Not the case with molded handles again just my 2 cents
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    I have zero issues with my RTIC 65
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    Or buck the hard sided cooler all together..

These are the bees knees...

http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/product/48-pack-H2O.html
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Another option that is a great cooler, Nash Sub Z. I have the 20 and it keeps ice for days. They make a 48 with awesome reviews as well.

Grizzly also makes a great cooler. I have the 65. Both of these options are made in USA and price very competitively with great results. Probably not better than the others mentioned, but probably equal in performance.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• SGH
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    The Yeti 50 is discontinued now.  
    I had no idea. Just looked on their website and sure enough, it’s gone. I guess others didn’t care for the extra depth as much as I did. To me it was an ideal size. 
    I hate to see that one gone. It’s my most used (and favorite) cooler by far. 

Status- Standing by.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Buy two RTICs or one Yeti....
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Good point.
    It's good to have options, depending on event.

Two smaller Pelican 35s are manageable.
    Much better than one two-person big'un.
    One for bev, one for food.

The newer Pelicans are much lighter than the Gen 1s.  

I have a 120qt All Terrain Igloo Marine cooler that comes in handy.

Same goes for the RTIC 20 softie.  

I wouldn't go above 50qt.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I had to answer this question myself last week. It was down to either Yeti or RTIC in either 60 or 80qt. I headed  down to Cabelas to check out the Yetis and walked out with a Cabela's Polar Cap 80qt.  From what I could tell, it was by far a better constructed  cooler than the Yeti in every way - more sturdy, built-in rotomolded handles, a pressure release valve and much, much beefier rubber straps. 

The Cabela's is also MADE IN USA which the Yeti isn't. Most Yetis are made in the Phillipines and there's no indicator on the cooler where it's made so you never know. The only way to ensure you get one made in the USA is by special order direct from the manufacturer. 

If you have a Cabelas near by definitely go by and check them out.  They took top prize in a recent Field & Stream review of all top-end roto coolers and Cabeals came out the winner. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • EggbertGreenII
    EggbertGreenII Posts: 253
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There ya go! They are great, work well for FTC too. What SonVolt said.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Like SGH said above I have a Yeti 50 and it’s a much more useful design than the 45. It’s my go to cooler.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I guess I could add that the discount
    SonVolt said:
    I had to answer this question myself last week. It was down to either Yeti or RTIC in either 60 or 80qt. I headed  down to Cabelas to check out the Yetis and walked out with a Cabela's Polar Cap 80qt.  From what I could tell, it was by far a better constructed  cooler than the Yeti in every way - more sturdy, built-in rotomolded handles, a pressure release valve and much, much beefier rubber straps. 

The Cabela's is also MADE IN USA which the Yeti isn't. Most Yetis are made in the Phillipines and there's no indicator on the cooler where it's made so you never know. The only way to ensure you get one made in the USA is by special order direct from the manufacturer. 

If you have a Cabelas near by definitely go by and check them out.  They took top prize in a recent Field & Stream review of all top-end roto coolers and Cabeals came out the winner. 

Interesting, there have been a couple of comments about where the coolers are made.  The reason I am able to get a 30% discount is I have a family member that just started working at a plastics company in town...they make the Yeti rotomolded coolers.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    I guess I could add that the discount
    SonVolt said:

Interesting, there have been a couple of comments about where the coolers are made.  The reason I am able to get a 30% discount is I have a family member that just started working at a plastics company in town...they make the Yeti rotomolded coolers.

Very nice. Do you get to purchase the Yeti directly from that plastics company? That'd be the only way to know for sure that it's made here. Once it hits store shelves it's a toss up. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SmokeOnTheMountain
    Options
    I think when you start looking at that caliber of ice chest their all going to perform relatively the same. With that being said I went with a cabelas brand cooler. I have the same size as my Dad (he has a 45 quart Yeti), I paid significantly less and we get roughly the same ice retention. I say relatively because we have never actually sat them side by side, filled up with ice and left them without opening them for a few days to see whose did better. But on average I put ice in mine every 5 days or so, which is the same as my Dad, and if I want to I can go 7 days easy and still have cold drinks just no ice left.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    So far I'm getting 7 days in the shade in Alabama June heat. The past 2 weeks I've added 40lbs of ice and a case of beer on Friday after work and it's lasted through to the next Friday where I drain the water and do it all over again. There's probably ~8lbs of ice left and the beer's still ice cold. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Another benefit to the Cabela’s coolers is that they have carts that are designed for the coolers.  Makes moving it around much easier.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SonVolt said:

The Cabelas coolers look good, but for me, the rotomolded handles are somewhat of a dealbreaker. While nice, they hugely increase the footprint of the cooler. If I had tons of space to spare, I would not care, but given my size constraints when travelling, I want as much useable cooler space as possible relative to the footprint. Not knocking them; just stating they would not likely be ideal for my purposes. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options