Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foolproof Pizza

Options

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Good grief that’s sinful!
    Lol, I know!
    I could eat this daily, at any time.
    Same with the 3 Floyds.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Man that looks awesome!

Little Rock, AR

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not bad. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    That looks awesome. Period. 
  • Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback folks.
    It was awesome.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Not bad. =)
    Coming from you, I'll take that.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GrillSgt
    Options
    What do you think? 

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hongso-PG421-Pre-seasoned-12-Inch-Cast-Iron-Pizza-Pan/2183978192

Waykea and Lodge make them also. Amazon is half of the eBay price but it posted my personal info when I linked it. 

• Focker
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    What do you think? 

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hongso-PG421-Pre-seasoned-12-Inch-Cast-Iron-Pizza-Pan/2183978192

Waykea and Lodge make them also. Amazon is half of the eBay price but it posted my personal info when I linked it. 

I would avoid it.
    You could go with a 12" Lodge.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GrillSgt
    Options
    So Focker do you think you could cook two at the same time and move one from the bottom to raised at the 6 minute mark? Those things look so good I’ve been drooling every time I look at the pic. It’s exactly the crust both of us like. 
  • Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    So Focker do you think you could cook two at the same time and move one from the bottom to raised at the 6 minute mark? Those things look so good I’ve been drooling every time I look at the pic. It’s exactly the crust both of us like. 
    Thank you, it's a HOF simple recipe, quality ingredients.  Perfect for the BGE.

For this style of pizza, vessel, and longer bake time, I think a multi-grid setup would work just fine with rotating top and bottom, front and back.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Decided to follow in @Focker footsteps. Not quite as pretty but tasted awesome.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Focker
    Options
    Decided to follow in @Focker footsteps. Not quite as pretty but tasted awesome.

Nice work!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Why cook a 12" pizza when you could make a 15" or 17"  B)
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    I was very lucky to enjoy @Focker pizza last weekend at @pgprescott Eggfest. I encourage anyone on the fence about egged pizza to try this. Absolutely fantastic!
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    Lodge Cast perfect for a Large Egg.

Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Going to make some dough today for a breakfast pizza tomorrow. I've made this before with great success. In fact its the only home dough that turned out good for me.
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    I’ve made this dough 4-5 times as a nice change up to my normal dough. I use a springform pan. I was a bit skeptical using CI fearing it wouldn’t heat up fast enough. I’m guessing that’s not an issue.  Do u preheat first?  It seems that it would be tough to work the dough with a hit CI pan. 
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    great post, and even better looking pie!
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    I’ve made this dough 4-5 times as a nice change up to my normal dough. I use a springform pan. I was a bit skeptical using CI fearing it wouldn’t heat up fast enough. I’m guessing that’s not an issue.  Do u preheat first?  It seems that it would be tough to work the dough with a hit CI pan. 
    No you don’t preheat the CI. You put the raw dough in the CI and then let sit for 2 hours or so. I just let it sit while I lit my egg and got it to 550 temp.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Focker
    Options
    I was very lucky to enjoy @Focker pizza last weekend at @pgprescott Eggfest. I encourage anyone on the fence about egged pizza to try this. Absolutely fantastic!
    Was really nice hanging out with you Jerry.
    If you're ever in the QC, you're always welcome here.  There is an egg or two, some decent breweries.  Even if it's a quick beer or two passing through.   =)  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Lodge Cast perfect for a Large Egg.

Nice lookin' pie 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    TTC said:
    great post, and even better looking pie!
    Thank you.
    It really is foolproof.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    Going to make some dough today for a breakfast pizza tomorrow. I've made this before with great success. In fact its the only home dough that turned out good for me.
    A breakfast pie sounds wonderful.
    Post it up.  :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• steel_egg
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    No you don’t preheat the CI. You put the raw dough in the CI and then let sit for 2 hours or so. I just let it sit while I lit my egg and got it to 550 temp.
    That’s what I do when I use my springform pan. Works well. I just thought that the CI would not let it cook the crust as well. Guess I should just trust Kenji. 
  • Focker
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    steel_egg said:
    That’s what I do when I use my springform pan. Works well. I just thought that the CI would not let it cook the crust as well. Guess I should just trust Kenji. 
    Except for the 10" pan and 2T EVOO.
    1T, or enough to coat the pan on bottom and sides is plenty.  It will still fry.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    @Focker thanks for the invite. I will be sure to look you up if I make a trip to QC. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • steel_egg
    Options
    Not as crusty on the bottom as I’ve had in the past. Tried a little less oil. Still very good.  Kids love this recipe. Put some chopped up bacon and pepperoni as a topping.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    Not as crusty on the bottom as I’ve had in the past. Tried a little less oil. Still very good.  Kids love this recipe. Put some chopped up bacon and pepperoni as a topping.

Looks damn good to me.

I can attest to the crunch on @Focker s cast iron crust. Legit.