Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy Grail Pastrami

Options
124»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Getting this pretty dialed in. The point is like SRF marbled on these Meyer all natural prime briskets. Only change I’ll make is that my next one will be from the SRF Costco score from last week. This was a good as any I’ve had. Im declaring victory on this recipe and technique though. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Getting this pretty dialed in. The point is like SRF marbled on these Meyer all natural prime briskets. Only change I’ll make is that my next one will be from the SRF Costco score from last week. This was a good as any I’ve had. Im declaring victory on this recipe and technique though. 

Nice , on my very soon bucket list 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Nice , on my very soon bucket list 
    Thanks, Larry. I'll walk you through if you have any questions. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Holy Schneiky this was good. Wow. Homemade, pastrami, homemade rye, homemade pickles, homemade kraut, store bought Swiss. We will fix that soon enough :) 

• lkapigian
    Options
    Holy Schneiky this was good. Wow. Homemade, pastrami, homemade rye, homemade pickles, homemade kraut, store bought Swiss. We will fix that soon enough :) 

Off The Hook !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    Used a Restaurant Depot corned beef instead of brining a brisket myself. Desalinated it for 24 hours and used the rub as specified by @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  Rub had great flavor.  Misread the post and pulled it at 156 instead of 160 - 170. Added another six hours in the sous-vide because of that.  Reheated it by the sous vide  as well. Turned out awesome. Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker . 

South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks awesome to me
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Fire in the hole. Been way too long. Wagyu brisket point and a small piece of Wagyu flat. Ready to smoke next Sunday. The meat looks real nice. Should be a good one. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Awesome, I have had this bookmarked for some time, great thread and on my bucket list 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Awesome, I have had this bookmarked for some time, great thread and on my bucket list 
    I just read through the whole thing again making sure I didn’t forget anything. Like a little trip down memory lane. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Is that ‘muricanized Montreal Smoked Meat  ;)  Bet it’s as good if not better.
    canuckland
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Dang... I made pastrami Saturday. I’m really glad now I didn’t post it. I feel inadequate after seeing this. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Dang... I made pastrami Saturday. I’m really glad now I didn’t post it. I feel inadequate after seeing this. 
    I highly doubt that yours was much different than mine. 
  • teamunited33
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - generally how long do you steam these bad boys?

Lakeville, MN
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - generally how long do you steam these bad boys?

just until it's warmed through. you can tell- it gets really soft throughout when it's done. maybe 15-20 min
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yeah, those look anything but short. Doubt they'll turn out anything but awesome. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    You clearly powered thru without your forum access.  Great outcome right there.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Taking notes this time… in case the forum goes tits up again. 

After the brine - just rinse, or do you soak for any time ?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Taking notes this time… in case the forum goes tits up again. 

After the brine - just rinse, or do you soak for any time ?
    Just rinse- No soak needed for this one. It’s actually not salty at all; especially compared to store bought pastrami/corned beef. This is an equilibrium brine so you can leave it in there an extra day or 2 and it won’t make it more salty. Makes it handy if life gets in the way for few days.