Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - OT - OT OT 2018 World Cup, Who ya got? If you even care OT - OT - OT - OT

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Eoin said:
    @Foghorn European players see MLS as an end of career / semi retirement payday when they can't quite keep up over here any more.  Also, it must be hard to tempt athletic types into a football / soccer career when there are so many well paid prospective sporting careers with defined paths through the school and college systems in the USA.

You have to remember that in the UK and many other countries in Europe, South / Central America and Africa that football is THE game that all children play regardless of background and school and this carries on into adulthood with a network of teams down through the divisions including pub teams competing in Sunday morning leagues.  My son's college at Durham has approx. 1500 undergraduates / post graduates and has 13 full teams playing in the university league.

Participation is key to bringing enough home grown talent through to produce a decent national team, is that possible in the US with so many other sports competing for attention?
    We have plenty of youth participation, but there is a huge issue in general knowledge of the game.  The vast majority of youth coaches are parents who don't have much tactical knowledge of the game, and for whom the win or loss is the most important part, not skill development.  So there isn't a lot of skill practice - you put the biggest/strongest/fastest kids as forwards and kick long balls toward them and hope they can score.  Hardly any work passing, dribbling, touch, etc.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Foghorn said:
    "Are you suggesting that moving for money to a team far better than all others in their league was not the best preparation?"

As long as we're talking about preparation... Am I the only one who thinks that the MLS is the reason the US didn't qualify.  

It seems to me that having Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, Jones, Howard all leave Europe to play in MLS made them all soft.  They don't have to compete for starting spots and they don't play at the pace required to compete at the international level.  However, nobody in the US can say that publicly.

Hopefully this is a transition period and one day MLS will make it to a level where it does prepare players for the international stage, but it is not there yet IMHO.
    I had no idea that Jurgen Klinsmann had an egg!   =)

I don't think that MLS is the reason, but it definitely contributes.  The Ringer had a decent summary of the failure to qualify - there is definitely plenty of blame to go around.  MLS is in an odd spot, I definitely don't blame USMNT for being happy to live and play in the US and make a good living, but yes, USMNT players do tend to stagnate when not regularly playing against strong competition.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    " I definitely don't blame USMNT for being happy to live and play in the US and make a good living, but yes, USMNT players do tend to stagnate when not regularly playing against strong competition."

Agreed @Acn.

"
    We have plenty of youth participation, but there is a huge issue in general knowledge of the game.  The vast majority of youth coaches are parents who don't have much tactical knowledge of the game, and for whom the win or loss is the most important part, not skill development.  So there isn't a lot of skill practice - you put the biggest/strongest/fastest kids as forwards and kick long balls toward them and hope they can score.  Hardly any work passing, dribbling, touch, etc."

That part is getting better in most of the country.  A lot of youth programs have good trainers who played low level in (typically) England or Latin America - or former US college players.  The thing that Europeans have told me that they find unusual in the US is that soccer is played by upper middle class kids in the suburbs on nice green fields a couple of times a week when the parents drive the kids there.  In the rest of the world, it's played on dirt (or whatever) whenever the kids aren't in school and the sun is up - by all socioeconomic classes.  We just don't have the passion for the sport that the rest of the world has.   Our kids have a lot more passion for online gaming...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    F'in Redcoats!  Stupid defensive play to give up that corner and the GK looked like he had no idea one of the world's best scorers was in front of him.  Get and keep a body on that guy at all times in the box!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,850
    I don't think any of the scared the Belgians, but it's 3 points.  RLC for Alli at halftime would have been my choice.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Acn
    thetrim said:
    F'in Redcoats!  Stupid defensive play to give up that corner and the GK looked like he had no idea one of the world's best scorers was in front of him.  Get and keep a body on that guy at all times in the box!
    I couldn’t believe they left Kane that alone at the back post.  That’s a pretty serious breakdown.

Belgium looked good, ran over Panama like they did against us in 2014, unfortunately Tim Howard wasn’t around to play the game of his life.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Should have made changes earlier. VAR pointless if the results aren't consistent. Correct result, but once they sat back we looked like we were short of ideas until Loftus Cheek and Rashford came on. Why was Ashley Young on the pitch? So many questions, but can wrap up progression in the next game!
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Foghorn said:

That part is getting better in most of the country.  A lot of youth programs have good trainers who played low level in (typically) England or Latin America - or former US college players.  The thing that Europeans have told me that they find unusual in the US is that soccer is played by upper middle class kids in the suburbs on nice green fields a couple of times a week when the parents drive the kids there.  In the rest of the world, it's played on dirt (or whatever) whenever the kids aren't in school and the sun is up - by all socioeconomic classes.  We just don't have the passion for the sport that the rest of the world has.   Our kids have a lot more passion for online gaming...

Which is why the Women are so strong in the US.  Its a suburban game where they can strive to get the best college scholarships for their skill level and their parents can help pay to get them to that level.  My kids club- the boys DOC purposely manages a decent (not top) girls team as he wants to stay relevant to the pulse of US Soccer.

In my Suburban Subdivision with acres of huge open fields of pretty decent grass that could be used for any sport- and nobody is on them unless its arraigned club/ rec sports.  Same goes though for the 3 bball courts and (8) Tennis Courts (Except for the ladies club teams).
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • thetrim
    I'm not eating tacos or any Mexican food for two months after that German loss.  If we lose to Sweden, I am taking a year long hiatus from Ikea.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Acn
    thetrim said:
    I'm not eating tacos or any Mexican food for two months after that German loss.  If we lose to Sweden, I am taking a year long hiatus from Ikea.
    I heard somebody note that 12 European teams have played in the WC so far and Germany is the only one that lost.  

The hangover is real.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• thetrim
    Yeah, not a good start for Die Mannschaft.  Sweden didn't look great.  Hopefully, our front runners can work over the slow Swedish defense.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Acn
    edited June 2018
    thetrim said:
    Yeah, not a good start for Die Mannschaft.  Sweden didn't look great.  Hopefully, our front runners can work over the slow Swedish defense.
    Yeah, I was shocked at how slow Khedira looked, if he’s going to keep getting pushed up as far as Kroos they’re going to be killed on the break, he can’t backtrack that far.  Jogi needs to dial the press back a bit, I think.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    edited June 2018
    Iceland & Deutschland all the way.  I grew up in Germany as an Air Force brat.  I played in some local German teams & on the base league teams, until high school. 
  • Eoin
    Sorry @thetrim, us Brits are all cheering for an early German exit. That's just how it is.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I played on an all-star American team in the German leagues back in the late 70's, early 80's out of Heidelberg.  We were mediocre in the German leagues.  We participated in the US European championships (best of the American teams in Europe) and, because we played with locals, our team was bad-ass.  Unscored upon and took the championship, we were rock-stars around age 15. 

Went downhill from there...fast forward more than a few decades and I'm posting pictures of some dead meat on a food forum for fat, rich white guys.

At least the last part was good for meeting some interesting new friends, and regurgitating past memories of when I was a serious jock.  
    Early red card screwed Columbia!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Foghorn
    Are you saying it wasn't warranted?  I'm wondering is your use of the word "screwed" suggests that you think it was unjust.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    While i appreciate the international coming together soccer creates, i just cant get into it.  Counting down the days til college and nfl football kickoff....
  • Foghorn
    While i appreciate the international coming together soccer creates, i just cant get into it.  Counting down the days til college and nfl football kickoff....
    @westernbbq, I used to be a huge US sports fan - especially college basketball.  However, at this point I can't stand all the commercials.  I'll take 45 minutes of watching soccer, then a 15 minute halftime to use the restroom and get another beverage, then watch 45 more minutes of soccer - every time.

San Antonio, TX

• CPFC1905
    Foghorn said:
    @westernbbq, I used to be a huge US sports fan - especially college basketball.  However, at this point I can't stand all the commercials.  I'll take 45 minutes of watching soccer, then a 15 minute halftime to use the restroom and get another beverage, then watch 45 more minutes of soccer - every time.
    Try cricket.  Up to five days drinking interspersed with some polite contest. 
  • Eoin
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:
    Record score in the ODI today, all action. Aussies 5 down, over 300 short at the moment. Dropping down the rankings every game.
  • Foghorn
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:
    Yeah, cricket to me is like soccer is to most Americans.  I don't "get it".  Although I'm pretty sure that with some exposure/study I could.  And would.  

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Foghorn said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:
    Yeah, cricket to me is like soccer is to most Americans.  I don't "get it".  Although I'm pretty sure that with some exposure/study I could.  And would.  

"Real cricket" - those all day, multi-day events will never catch on in the US. Catch a T20 match sometime. It's a much shorter (timewise) format more suited to American attention spans. Each match is about as long as an American baseball game.

I'd love to see the US start a league equivalent to the Aussie Big Bash Leagues (male & female).

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• xfire_ATX
    Foghorn said:
    Are you saying it wasn't warranted?  I'm wondering is your use of the word "screwed" suggests that you think it was unjust.
    It was warranted and a valiant effort for Columbia to play 85' minute a man down and almost pull off a tie.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Foghorn
    xfire_ATX said:
    Foghorn said:
    It was warranted and a valiant effort for Columbia to play 85' minute a man down and almost pull off a tie.
    That was my take.

San Antonio, TX

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    xfire_ATX said:
    Foghorn said:

Isnt he out for next 2 matches also?
  • Acn
    There’s nothing like watching 8 seconds of game followed by 40 seconds of standing around in a circle.  There’s seriously like 12 minutes of game in that 3 1/2 hour time commitment.  I gave up on football before it became apparent that this entertainment was young men giving each other brain damage.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CPFC1905
    edited June 2018
    Now all teams have played at least once,  the odds are;

Brazil @ 4/1 are favourites  (+400)
    Spain @ 9/2   (+450) : odds shortened
    France @ 15/2    (+750)
    Germany @ 8/1  (+800) : odds lengthened
    Belgium @ 8/1  (+800) : odds shortened
    Argentina @ 11/1 (+1100) 
    England @ 12/1 - you've all missed the golden 14/1 days.
  • Eoin
    CPFC1905 said:
    Now all teams have played at least once,  the odds are;

Brazil @ 4/1 are favourites  (+400)
    Spain @ 9/2   (+450) : odds shortened
    France @ 15/2    (+750)
    Germany @ 8/1  (+800) : odds lengthened
    Belgium @ 8/1  (+800) : odds shortened
    Argentina @ 11/1 (+1100) 
    England @ 12/1 - you've all missed the golden 14/1 days.
    I definitely don't want to make the disappointment even greater by losing money when we go out!
  • xfire_ATX
    Tspud1 said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    Foghorn said:

Isnt he out for next 2 matches also?
    Out for the game he was playing in plus the next match in the competition.