Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - DC Restaurants

GATraveller
GATraveller Posts: 8,207
edited June 2018 in Off Topic
So I'm taking the family to DC in July. Last time I was there was in 1985 so I'm guessing things have changed a bit. I've read some but still need help. We eat all kinds of food so recommendations would be appreciated.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I spent two years in Ethiopia.  Loved the food and was always looking for "the best local food restaurant in town."  Someone told me it's not in Addis, it's in DC.  Sure enough - Dukem on U Street.  Just down from Ben's Chili Bowl - an institution.  Another sure bet is El Tamarindo, also on U Street, for Salvadoran pupusas.  DC has everything - literally, every kind of food you could ever want.  
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Bens chili bowl is iconic 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GATraveller
    We'd thought about Ben's and El Tamarindo looks fantastic! Thanks. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    You looking for family friendly fare or adult stuff or both?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    edited June 2018
    Family friendly as there'll be 2 12yr girls and a 15yr boy. But I'm open to fine dining. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    We'll be there week 7/21.  I’ll be following this closely. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Family friendly as there'll be 2 12yr girls and a 15yr boy. But I'm open to fine dining. 
    Any of the Jose Andres restaurants are fantastic.  Jaleo especially is great for families - it’s tapas, so everyone can get something to your liking.  Red Hen is fantastic Italian.

I’ll write up a fuller briefing in the next couple of days when I can sit at the laptop, but you can send me any questions you’d like.  It’s been a few years since I lived in DC proper, but we’re still there monthly or so.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GATraveller
    We'll be there week 7/21.  I’ll be following this closely. 
    We're coming in the 22nd.

Acn said:
    Any of the Jose Andres restaurants are fantastic.  Jaleo especially is great for families - it’s tapas, so everyone can get something to your liking.  Red Hen is fantastic Italian.

I’ll write up a fuller briefing in the next couple of days when I can sit at the laptop, but you can send me any questions you’d like.  It’s been a few years since I lived in DC proper, but we’re still there monthly or so.
    Awesome! Thanks for our help. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Filomenas in Georgetown. Amazing Italian food and a cool place as well. Old Ebbits Grill has great crab cakes. Close to the White House. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Doylestown - Pennsylvania
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    If you like Belgian beer and/or food, Brasserie Beck is a great take.  They have one of the few cicerone's who specialized in Belgian beer on the planet.  

Ask for Dean.  If you want his mobile number PM me. Or I can text him for you.  Either way, he'll take care of you.  Depending on how many adults are drinking, he'll split a bottle of beer by bringing each adult a chalice from the brewery and pouring a few ounces into each one - so that over the course of the night you can taste a bunch of beers.  

Oh yeah, the food is really good there too.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• well, since you're on this site, you HAVE to go to The Pig on 14th St, NW.  Do not miss the face bacon.

there's a bunch of stuff all up and down 14th now.  Churchkey/Birch and Barley (same place, two establishments) is also great on 14th.

Your family will love a Saturday or Sunday lunch at Union Market in NE.  

The SW Waterfront is all new and pretty nice, but missing a little of the town's inherent grit, though much of the city is now with all of the development the last 10 years.

will definitely second Filomena and Old Ebbit as that's a DC institution.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Will you be spending all of your time in DC proper? I spend a good amount of time in DC and the area around it. If outlying areas are good for you and the family unit, I can help there too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Red hot and blue is a decent bbq place.  Also Caddies in Bethesda has some of the wings I’ve ever had.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • GATraveller
    YukonRon said:
    Will you be spending all of your time in DC proper? I spend a good amount of time in DC and the area around it. If outlying areas are good for you and the family unit, I can help there too.
    Yes. We'll be right in town and not venturing too far out. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Firing up a mini max in front of the White House would be legendary. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    LMAO
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    Would that be frowned upon? 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Not if you cooked well done steak 
  • Acn
    OK - like I mentioned earlier, I would recommend any of Jose Andres's restaurants - if you're staying downtown, Jaleo has tapas, Oyamel has Mexican, and Zaytinya has Middle Eastern mezze.  

Fabio Trabocchi is another restauranteur who has several quality outposts in the city - if you get a seat with a view of the Potomoc, Fiola Mare in Georgetown is great.  I've done the pre-theater menu there, it can be a pretty good deal with appetizer/entree/desert for like $40/person.

Red Hen is great Italian, I have a few friends who claim it as their favorite restaurant in the city, although you'll probably want a ride there and back. 

Le Diplomate is good French, I'm partial to Montmartre on Capitol Hill - there isn't a lot around there, and it is also where I took my wife to dinner prior to proposing.  

I like Woodward Table near the White House.  Ed Lee just opened a location of Succotash on 9th st NW - I haven't been to that one, but I have been to the one at National Harbor, and would definitely recommend the dirty fried chicken and kimchi and collard greens are one of my favorite sides anywhere.

Rasika is great Indian if everyone would eat that, it is really good.

I haven't gotten there, but I have friends who really like the Momofuku outpost in DC.  If you get up to Adams Morgan, I also haven't been A Rake's Progress, but Spike Gjerde is a James Beard Best Chef winner and run's my absolute favorite restaurant (Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore), so I would think that would be worth a try as well.

Matchbox has a few outposts and is OK for a quick stop in for pizza or sliders, we'll use it for a quick pit stop to get some food in the kid and keep her going.

For me, Ben's and Old Ebbitt are in the same boat.  They are institutions, but the food isn't great.  It isn't bad, and going there will be good, but for the experience, not the food.  I'd recommend just doing a happy hour at Old Ebbitt, oysters or an app and a cocktail and watch the people. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    1789 Restaurant in Georgetown. To this day - the best meal I have ever had.  
    XL BGE
  • YukonRon
    Not if you cooked well done steak 
    Just add ketchup.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    How much do you tip in DC?
  • GATraveller
    Acn said:
    OK - like I mentioned earlier, I would recommend any of Jose Andres's restaurants - if you're staying downtown, Jaleo has tapas, Oyamel has Mexican, and Zaytinya has Middle Eastern mezze.  

Fabio Trabocchi is another restauranteur who has several quality outposts in the city - if you get a seat with a view of the Potomoc, Fiola Mare in Georgetown is great.  I've done the pre-theater menu there, it can be a pretty good deal with appetizer/entree/desert for like $40/person.

Red Hen is great Italian, I have a few friends who claim it as their favorite restaurant in the city, although you'll probably want a ride there and back. 

Le Diplomate is good French, I'm partial to Montmartre on Capitol Hill - there isn't a lot around there, and it is also where I took my wife to dinner prior to proposing.  

I like Woodward Table near the White House.  Ed Lee just opened a location of Succotash on 9th st NW - I haven't been to that one, but I have been to the one at National Harbor, and would definitely recommend the dirty fried chicken and kimchi and collard greens are one of my favorite sides anywhere.

Rasika is great Indian if everyone would eat that, it is really good.

I haven't gotten there, but I have friends who really like the Momofuku outpost in DC.  If you get up to Adams Morgan, I also haven't been A Rake's Progress, but Spike Gjerde is a James Beard Best Chef winner and run's my absolute favorite restaurant (Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore), so I would think that would be worth a try as well.

Matchbox has a few outposts and is OK for a quick stop in for pizza or sliders, we'll use it for a quick pit stop to get some food in the kid and keep her going.

For me, Ben's and Old Ebbitt are in the same boat.  They are institutions, but the food isn't great.  It isn't bad, and going there will be good, but for the experience, not the food.  I'd recommend just doing a happy hour at Old Ebbitt, oysters or an app and a cocktail and watch the people. 

Dude! You knocked it out of the park. Thanks for the effort as I know this takes time. Much appreciated.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    @Acn

That post is the best I have ever seen on the real deal in DC. Everyone should save this for review prior to heading in.

Great job. I just started putting mine together, and I just quit after reading this.

@GATraveller - you have been given the bible, have fun.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Acn
    Thank you gentlemen, just trying to help where I can, with recommendations where I can come up with something to contribute.  

In terms of non food spots, the FDR memorial is one of my favorites, and doesn’t get the same love some others do.  I love walking through after dark, it’s all illuminated and then you come out onto the tidal basin with a view of Jefferson and the area that is magic.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YukonRon
    Acn said:
    Thank you gentlemen, just trying to help where I can, with recommendations where I can come up with something to contribute.  

In terms of non food spots, the FDR memorial is one of my favorites, and doesn’t get the same love some others do.  I love walking through after dark, it’s all illuminated and then you come out onto the tidal basin with a view of Jefferson and the area that is magic.
    Love Jefferson Memorial. Spend a lot of time in Crystal City......

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Just got back to Charlotte from my 4 State, plus DC driving tour today. Wanted to add one more choice for DC lunch. If you’re near the DuPont Circle area, consider Dukes Grocery. The Proper Burger is really, really good. Also tried the corn appetizer. I could have made myself sick eating it, it was sooo good. Next time I will try the cubano and the truffle Mac and cheese. 

Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited June 2018
    Go to Ella's Firewood Pizza for lunch.    https://ellaspizza.com/
    Rose's Luxury for dinner.   https://www.rosesluxury.com/ 
    Ted's Bulletin for Adult Milkshakes at night  http://www.tedsbulletin.com/

Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • GATraveller
    Just got back to Charlotte from my 4 State, plus DC driving tour today. Wanted to add one more choice for DC lunch. If you’re near the DuPont Circle area, consider Dukes Grocery. The Proper Burger is really, really good. Also tried the corn appetizer. I could have made myself sick eating it, it was sooo good. Next time I will try the cubano and the truffle Mac and cheese. 

Both look incredible!!  I'm drooling.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA