Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - OT - OT OT 2018 World Cup, Who ya got? If you even care OT - OT - OT - OT

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Soccer/Football is a fascinating game, assuming you’re pre-frontal cortex exists. It is the Beautiful game. Watch out for Brazil. I’d take them over Germany and Spain. Those 3 and France, a winner comes from those. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    What a match and Ronaldo definitely rose to the occasion.  Entertaining for sure.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    lousubcap said:
    What a match and Ronaldo definitely rose to the occasion.  Entertaining for sure.  
    As usual Ronaldo 'flopped' to the occasion.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    bgebrent said:
    Soccer/Football is a fascinating game, assuming you’re pre-frontal cortex exists. It is the Beautiful game. Watch out for Brazil. I’d take them over Germany and Spain. Those 3 and France, a winner comes from those. 
    Does the pre-frontal cortex control a person’s grammar? 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    bgebrent said:
    Does the pre-frontal cortex control a person’s grammar? 
    :rofl:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,850
    Intersting set of games today.  Both Arg and France should win, but both matches might be very close.  Anyones guess for the other two matches.

We have had a contrived result on Day 1, an exemplar match last night and so today will produce either a seismic controversy or melt-down of a top team.  

In years gone by Day 3 was about when a Jack Russell would enter the pitch and chase the ball around for 10 minutes.  Sadly those days are gone.

However, a 'collectors item' treble is captured in this footage at 5m 30s.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yJsBdr_Mk4
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    There are not usually many good matches in the group stages, but that was an exception last night. Nobody seems to be tipping Portugal?
  • CPFC1905
    Allez Les Bleus
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    edited June 2018
    All set for doing many "Viking claps" in the next couple of hours.

Skulum fara á Íslandi

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @HeavyG - I agree.  Great work by the ad agency right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    I sure wish this announcer would start calling Sunday Night Football. #collingsworthsucks
  • CPFC1905
    Only Croatia v Nigeria left and no dogs not he pitch yet.
    Also, no red cards - but today feels like the day, given the penalty mayhem so far.
  • CPFC1905
    This is what I think;

Serbia : one-nil,  regard the majesty of Luka Milivojević.  He will score the winner with a glorious curling 35 yard free-kick.    If you thought Jedinak was good for the Aussies, Luka is the v2 upgrade.  Each have been lucky enough to lead the mighty Crystal Palace and probably view the World Cup as trivial in compares to that honour. 

Brazil : comfortable two-nil 

Germany : 3-1

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    El Tri!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eoin
    CPFC1905 said:
    ....... Each have been lucky enough to lead the mighty Crystal Palace and probably view the World Cup as trivial in compares to that honour.........

Don't get carried away.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I think I'll go with Mexico as a Spoiler!!!

Just to take Germany out and really screw up the mix!

Woohoo!!! Viva Mexico!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Eoin
    Enjoyed that Mexico win. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Eoin said:
    Enjoyed that Mexico win. 
    As did I!!  My expectations now are that Deutschland will start to get serious with playing and, unfortunately, Mexico will probably loose in the next round!

They played a GREAT game!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Not a great start for the big 4, with only France opening with a win.  Spain at least won’t have Ronaldo taking every free kick against them, and De Gea really shouldn’t let in another goal that soft.  Germany needs to tighten against counters, a stronger team than Mexico could have hung 3+.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited June 2018
    Yep.  But I don’t think Germany is going to wilt like Spain did in 2014.

And I saw nothing to discredit my previous prediction that Brazil is not capable of winning it all because they don’t play enough team football. Individually they are brilliant but that’s not enough any more. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    The Germany loss was a tough one.  I really thought they’d find the back of the net in the 2nd half.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CPFC1905
    Germany won't lose to S Korea or Sweden,  so a minor hiccup for them.  

Brazil aren't known for digging in and playing out a safe one-nil.  I anticipate they will go all out for multi-goal thrashing of Costa Rica.  I fancy Serbia over Switzerland - but if they draw it sets up a mighty clash between Brazil and Serbia next week.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Serbia will beat the hell out of poor little Neymar!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CPFC1905
    thetrim said:
    Serbia will beat the hell out of poor little Neymar!
    Are you suggesting that moving for money to a team far better than all others in their league was not the best preparation?
    I suspect little mercy will be on display towards the golden-shirted ones in that match.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    "Are you suggesting that moving for money to a team far better than all others in their league was not the best preparation?"

As long as we're talking about preparation... Am I the only one who thinks that the MLS is the reason the US didn't qualify.  

It seems to me that having Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, Jones, Howard all leave Europe to play in MLS made them all soft.  They don't have to compete for starting spots and they don't play at the pace required to compete at the international level.  However, nobody in the US can say that publicly.

Hopefully this is a transition period and one day MLS will make it to a level where it does prepare players for the international stage, but it is not there yet IMHO.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eoin
    @Foghorn European players see MLS as an end of career / semi retirement payday when they can't quite keep up over here any more.  Also, it must be hard to tempt athletic types into a football / soccer career when there are so many well paid prospective sporting careers with defined paths through the school and college systems in the USA.

You have to remember that in the UK and many other countries in Europe, South / Central America and Africa that football is THE game that all children play regardless of background and school and this carries on into adulthood with a network of teams down through the divisions including pub teams competing in Sunday morning leagues.  My son's college at Durham has approx. 1500 undergraduates / post graduates and has 13 full teams playing in the university league.

Participation is key to bringing enough home grown talent through to produce a decent national team, is that possible in the US with so many other sports competing for attention?
  • Eoin
    It's coming home .........
  • CPFC1905
    Alli injures,  Walker on a yellow, soft penalty.  Normal service resumes!!
  • CPFC1905
    Penalty not given, scuffed shooting and hit the post.  Normal.......