Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy Chicken Biscuit with Sausage Gravy

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050

Fried chicken breast coated in Hooters Hot Wing Sauce on a homemade buttermilk biscuit and doused in sausage gravy...  :flushed:

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    Yep.  I'd hit that. Several times,  making myself look stupid in the process.
    Las Vegas, NV

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Craig, that looks delicious.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dyal_SC
    Thx y’all. Can’t eat this everyday, but it’s nice to cut loose every now and then.  
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    bgebrent said:
    Craig, that looks delicious.
    It really does. Good job brother. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    I think it moved... 
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Yes, Yes, YES!!! That's my kind of food right there!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Salivating
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Print and frame that photo.  I want that for dinner.
    Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    Not sharing that sausage gravy recipe is treasonous. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I LOVE biscuits and gravy!! Mom used to make the gravy with the fat she used to fry the chicken. Wonderful!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dyal_SC
    Super easy. One roll of Jimmy Dean Sausage, brown it up in a big deep skillet. Leave the fat in the pan and toss in some flour on it.  In the microwave, melt a few tablespoons of butter in a mug. Then add about 4 to 6 tablespoons of flour to the mug of melted butter and stir to form a roux. Add about a half gallon of whole milk to the pan of sausage and bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Stir in your roux and simmer until it thickens. Also add a good bit of salt and pepper to taste. If it’s taking a long time to thicken, make some more roux with melted butter and flour and stir it in. Whisk until it thickens and make sure there aren’t any clumps of roux in there... heavy whisking helps. 

It makes a lot, so I always freeze the leftover gravy in quart sized freezer bags. Makes it super easy for quick biscuits and gravy in the future. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    That looks incredible, nicely done!
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Dyal_SC said:
    Super easy. One roll of Jimmy Dean Sausage, brown it up in a big deep skillet. Leave the fat in the pan and toss in some flour on it.  In the microwave, melt a few tablespoons of butter in a mug. Then add about 4 to 6 tablespoons of flour to the mug of melted butter and stir to form a roux. Add about a half gallon of whole milk to the pan of sausage and bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Stir in your roux and simmer until it thickens. Also add a good bit of salt and pepper to taste. If it’s taking a long time to thicken, make some more roux with melted butter and flour and stir it in. Whisk until it thickens and make sure there aren’t any clumps of roux in there... heavy whisking helps. 

It makes a lot, so I always freeze the leftover gravy in quart sized freezer bags. Makes it super easy for quick biscuits and gravy in the future. 
    YOU CAN FREEZE GRAVY?!?!? How in the heII did I not know this? How do you reheat it? I thought it would separate. This may well be a game changer.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Geez Louise yum!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Oh hell yeah!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I would go on a bender tonight, if only to justify tucking in to that in the morning. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Goodness gracious that looks like heaven 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Bruh....
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Damn!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoubleEgger
    Thanks for the recipe. Appreciate you. 
  • Dyal_SC
    edited June 2018
    @dharley, yessir... Lol, it freezes very well.  I just put the bag of gravy in the microwave on the defrost setting until it is loose enough to come outta the bag. Dump it in a bowl and nuke it ...  stir occasionally until it’s heated through. Tastes just as good, if not better out of the freezer. 
  • dharley
    Dyal_SC said:
    @dharley, yessir... Lol, it freezes very well.  I just put the bag of gravy in the microwave on the defrost setting until it is loose enough to come outta the bag. Dump it in a bowl and nuke it ...  stir occasionally until it’s heated through. Tastes just as good, if not better out of the freezer. 
    Thank you!
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2018
    That is my favorite cook from you......since your last cook that was my favorite.
    You flat killed that one right there dude.
    Don't stop, the world will collapse and die.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    Amongst all this gravy talk,remember that there’s a homemade biscuit in there too. 
  • dharley
    Amongst all this gravy talk,remember that there’s a homemade biscuit in there too. 
    Yes. Agreed. Buttermilk? Self rising flour(?) from White Lily? Do you grate frozen butter or work quickly with cubed? They look amazing and I need to make a batch tomorrow morning for four generations. Share if you would. 

USMC Veteran

• Dyal_SC
    That’s Mrs. Dyal’s doing. Her recipe:

2 cups all purpose flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    6 Tbsp cold butter
    1 cup buttermilk 

Put dry ingredients and cold butter chunks in food processor. Pulse until combined and “grainy”.  Add buttermilk and run processor until combined into a dough. It’s usually sticky. Put dough into floured surface, pat into a flat square.  Fold it and pat it down again about 6 times. Cut into round biscuits with a drinking glass.  Put them on ungreased cookie sheet with the edges touching, and bake for 10-12 minutes at 450 deg F. 

Best biscuits ever. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Dyal_SC said:
    That’s Mrs. Dyal’s doing. Her recipe:

2 cups all purpose flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    6 Tbsp cold butter
    1 cup buttermilk 

Put dry ingredients and cold butter chunks in food processor. Pulse until combined and “grainy”.  Add buttermilk and run processor until combined into a dough. It’s usually sticky. Put dough into floured surface, pat into a flat square.  Fold it and pat it down again about 6 times. Cut into round biscuits with a drinking glass.  Put them on ungreased cookie sheet with the edges touching, and bake for 10-12 minutes at 450 deg F. 

Best biscuits ever. 
    @foghorn
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Dyal_SC
    Here are the leftover biscuits. Makes about 8 of them. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow