Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Hoo Doo Brown BBQ - Connecticut

20stone
20stone Posts: 1,961
I am being taken by my boss for the best BBQ in CT (I am told).  I will provide a review later, but found something interesting on the Hoo Doo's website.  They had a link to this:
https://firstwefeast.com/eat/the-best-bbq-from-every-state/

I have always wondered why folks come to Houston from out of state and want BBQ.  It's great in Houston (really fantastic), but we have tons of great restaurants of all types.  Then, I see something like that list, and realize how crappy the food looks from the "best" BBQ spot in each state.

It looks like there is a market out there for better BBQ (maybe not in Austin or Houston, but, you know, Arkansas and stuff), because the current stuff looks pretty grim in a lot of spots.
(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Cool list- I Have been to the Hitching Post is Ca, it is very good, better than most BBQ around, but only on or Sub Par from what one can do @home
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831

I agree with you that this list looks pretty sad. We are spoiled here in Texas. This list however seems incredibly flawed in several ways because the number 1 in Texas was Louie Mueller?!?!? Not Franklins, Not Snow's, Not Cattleack, Not Bodacious, not Pecan Lodge or Coopers. They pick the number 5 best rated in the state as the best. No way!!! This list is now invalid =)

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    @lkapigian is right..We have the right tools at home...the 'right' seasoning for us and our families...so it's always only sub-par when we dine out too.  
    Arlington, TX
  • DFW
    D@mn...the point of that last post was to mention I'd still like to eat at some new places..including Hoo Doo's next time I'm in CT!  Day drinking is not for kids, folks! Ha!  Time for that damn pool....
    Arlington, TX
  • Not sure I would rely on that list to be accurate.  Jones BBQ damn sure ain't the best in Arkansas.  

Little Rock, AR

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Never heard of it, which of course is meaningless. I had to look on Maps to find Ridgefield! Seems it's about 80 miles from me. LOL.

A Texan coming to CT for BBQ? Should be entertaining. A Texan who knows how to COOK BBQ coming to CT for BBQ, even better! Try not to laugh at the food... bad career move! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DFW
    Hey...we can cook bbq in my house, but we also love to travel.  Wasn't long ago we lived in Raleigh/ Cary...and I'm originally from Savannah, GA...so, I've got some BBQ coursing in the blood.  Still, would rather at one of yalls places any day of the week!

Maybe Butt Blast can be worked out...would be awesome to shake some hands of the guys recipes I've been replicating the last 2 yrs!
    Arlington, TX
  • Good luck. 

Someone should take that website down. Turrible. 

Mall the rockstar places in Memphis and they pick some podunk one lady setup? 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    This place was on Man, Fire, Food. Looked decent enough, but as others here have said, likely not better than what many of us are capable of at home. I’m 100 miles north, but don’t mind a good weekend cruise from time to time. If you report good things, we may take a ride. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961

Well, I tried it out and it is a pretty good spot. The beef rib was really good, brisket was not, and the sides were 50/50 (I really liked the greens)

So, if you’re semi local, I’d say it is worth a modest detour if you're in the greater area. 

I’ll be taking my boss out for pizza if he makes it down to Houston. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The rib looks legit. nap-worthy for sure. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That tray doesn’t look half bad. 

Re: what’s best in a given state, and how it compares to the best in the same category in another state, there will definitely be some that leave some (or a lot ) to be desired. For instance, I think Greek fare is pretty mediocre in Houston, but awesome in Chicago. Guess it depends on who migrated where. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    CTMike is gonna be mad hearing this is the "best".
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I have been to Hoodoo Browns a few times. The last time the quality certainly had slipped. They have doubled their output(second smoker) from the early days and I think the fire got away from them some last trip. The brisket was dried out. They tried to hide the worst bits inside a monster sandwich, but it was obvious it was way overdone. I had thought Hoodoo Brown to be the second best in CT out of all I have tried, but now will reserve that opinion until I try again. Anyone can have a bad day, but if they are cutting corners I will know.  My vote is for Bear's BBQ in Hartford as my favorite in the state.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Nah, I’m good. I’ve stopped going to BBQ restaurants because I am always disappointed. Several friends told me that BT Smokehouse in Sturbridge, MA was fantastic. My wife and I stopped last year and it was turrible, Brisket was dried out and bland, Pork was tasteless. The only thing we had that was worth a damn were the collard greens. 

Haven’t tried Bears or Hoodoo. 

When end we make our pilgrimage to Austin I expect we will not be disappointed. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • I haven’t tried hoodoos, but bears is pretty good.  It’s almost a weekly staple as I’m in Hartford for business one day every week.   I really like their burnt ends, brisket, and smoked turkey.  
    Southwestern CT
  • CTMike said:
    Nah, I’m good. I’ve stopped going to BBQ restaurants because I am always disappointed. Several friends told me that BT Smokehouse in Sturbridge, MA was fantastic. My wife and I stopped last year and it was turrible, Brisket was dried out and bland, Pork was tasteless. The only thing we had that was worth a damn were the collard greens. 

Haven’t tried Bears or Hoodoo. 

When end we make our pilgrimage to Austin I expect we will not be disappointed. 
    Come on. I’ll tour guide. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2018
    And you will not be (disappointed)