Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whataburger Spicy Ketchup — BBQ Sauce

Options
Treat Yo Self. You love Texas. You love Whataburger. It’s spicy. It’s smoky. It’s a tad sweet.

The 2017 Rub And Sauce Exchange last year was good to me! @tonyled hooked me up last year (among a great many other things) with a bottle Whataburger Spicy Ketchup. Unfortunately i horded it in my outside fridge to the point where it needed to find redemption. 

I give you...Whataburger Spicy Ketchup based BBQ sauce. 

1 cup Whataburger Spicy Ketchup
1 cup of Sweet Baby Rays Original (it needed darker color and less Ketchup base for my southern bbq brethren)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1 onion
1/2 head of garlic
Couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp of lemon
1 chipotle
3 or 4 tbsp of brown sugar 
Molasses and honey (at your preference)
cayenne, salt, pepper, ground mustard, cumin at your discretion. (Y’all know what a basic bbq sauce is)

Cook the onions and the garlic. Pour in the rest. Heat up and cut the heat to low for half an hour. 

Please excuse the shrivled skin. Our guests showed up an hour late. Like a boob job after a liquid lunch. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Laughed twice and stole the recipe. You win. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There's a few constant favorites from Texans - HEB, DQ, and Whataburger.  As a transplant, I don't fully get the Whataburger thing, but I sure like the spicy ketchup!

In lots  of small towns, dairy queen is the only chain restaurant. It may not be a big town favorite, but small towns are all in.  Jalitos alone make me stop.

(Edit) looks great!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Looks like you have overacheived again, and congrats. I had been using sriracha sauce in my ketchup, for heat and smokey flavor, but now, I have BBq sauce to try and make.
    Thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @sumoconnell in the south the kiss of death for a small town is the “Trio”

Taco Bell, KFC, and Sonic. If you are rolling through on a long road trip and see all 3 and nothing else, chances are you can score some smack behind the now vacant K Mart. 

The spicy ketchup sold me on Whataburger. This thread was inspired by the In and Out suggestion on another thread. It feels like the constant fight between me and my wife on Hardee’s vs Chick Fil A breakfast. 

@YukonRon I still have 2 bottles left (and a newly found local store that sells every spice you can think of...if you still need an excuse to come to Franklin)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Treat Yo Self. You love Texas. You love Whataburger....
    Only been to Texas once, back in the '70s, and I did love it!  Galveston and Austin.  Amazing.  I'd never had real barbecue before, and when I tasted Texas barbecue (Salt Lick, and ribs in a roadside stand with a smoking oil drum, because I couldn't resist the sign: "Polk Ribbs" :)), I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

Never had a Whataburger, though.  Sauce and chicken look great!
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    gonna try this!!!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Thanks, that's some great looking chicken!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Straight Whataburger spicy ketchup over meatloaf is good too .
    Gittin' there...
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Straight Whataburger spicy ketchup over meatloaf is good too .
    Damn that's a great idea!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Looks killer!

What exactly does "boob job after liquid lunch" mean?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Looks killer!

Haha. @Ozzie_Isaac like a plastic surgeon decided to have mid day cocktails and then botched an afternoon breast augmentation. (The skin is pulling and sagging)

South of Nashville, TN

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Looks killer!

Haha. @Ozzie_Isaac like a plastic surgeon decided to have mid day cocktails and then botched an afternoon breast augmentation. (The skin is pulling and sagging)
     Lol! I see the connection now.  I would still hit it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

Full disclosure I totally forgot I had made this...

Found it buried in my garage fridge tonight. @Gravy_ona_Biskit gives seal of approval on chicken. 

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Patton was from my state.
    We don't have Whataburgers here.  

Near San Francisco in California
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I had to check, I do have some spicy ketchup in the fridge, but its from McIlhenny Farms, makers of Tabasco (so I can imagine what's been added).  
    Have saved the recipe above, thanks!   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @botch Whataburger Ketchup is basically regular ketchup with jalapeño powder in it. If you cant get your hands on that you can just add jalapeños to the mix and get pretty close to what you’re looking for. 

For what it is it’s fairly sweet with a kick. 

South of Nashville, TN