Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It’s official. We have a problem

Options
2»

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Man, what an effort that I'm sure is worth it. 

So, @JohnInCarolina , get your game right. BB19 is not far away. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Does this mean that 6 of us are buying a milk cow and/or a wheat farm?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    You can’t run an efficient dairy operation with “a” milk cow. Check your mailbox. Bills will be sent. 

A milk cow... this guy. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You sir, are a god among men. All the way around. I love the absurd amount of effort for a simple pie. Things always taste better when you have slaved over it and can see the enjoyment on the faces of those that can tell the difference. 

There should be a warning label on signing up for this site. It would have been a better idea for me to buy a failing restaurant. 

Now to the Roccbox website. And then to Amazon to find a cheese making book. 
    You are on a slippery slope. I have pastrami and bacon in the cure, pickles from the garden in a brine im elbow deep in a commercial sausage textbook and we have 3 cheese books stacked in the coffee table. 

And kind of like owning a bge, the original purchase (in this case the cheese book) is by far the cheapest part. It is the gateway drug to additional refrigeration, temp
    controllers, hygrometers, humidifiers, and all other kinds of fun stuff. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Incredible looking pie!
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    I share the consensus view that you can't be taken seriously until you grow the wheat berries.

Tell me more about the cheese cave fridge!  That's hard core.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Now the only left to do is plant seeds for oak or hickory, grow the trees, harvest and make into lump. Can you start the fire with flint and steel or a bow?
    Cooking on the coast
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    Now the only left to do is plant seeds for oak or hickory, grow the trees, harvest and make into lump. Can you start the fire with flint and steel or a bow?
    I have the oak trees covered but I don't see myself making lump (yet). 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I share the consensus view that you can't be taken seriously until you grow the wheat berries.

Tell me more about the cheese cave fridge!  That's hard core.
    It's not as hard core as you might think. It's a Craig's list $75 used fridge with $200 worth of temp/humidity controls. Can be used for charcuterie as well, although not at the same time. Most cheese requires extremely high humidity in the cave (up to 95% for some). That would not work for sausages you are trying to dry. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    You can’t run an efficient dairy operation with “a” milk cow. Check your mailbox. Bills will be sent. 

A milk cow... this guy. 
    Exactly. 

We we could have made do with “a” pig. And we know how that ended up. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:

A milk cow... this guy. 
    Exactly. 

We we could have made do with “a” pig. And we know how that ended up. 
    My thoughts exactly. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Incredible looking pie!
    Thank you! Tasted as good as it looked. Getting the Roccbox dialed in a little better each time. It's all about the dough. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Fan-friggin-tastic!

I love fresh feta. Have been meaning to make mozzarella at home for some time now, but haven't progressed beyond buying the rennet. 
    Mozz is super easy and you have built in ricotta you can make from the whey as well. We used to make Mozz and ricotta when we owned the store back in the day. That is where this journey began (with a 10 year hiatus in between). 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    With a cave.
    Stop 
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Thinking you must have room for one of these . . . it's building suitable accommodations for the serfs that may be more challenging.

Image result for millstone
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it's building suitable accommodations for the serfs that may be more challenging.

That's what kids are for...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    You sir, are a god among men. All the way around. I love the absurd amount of effort for a simple pie. Things always taste better when you have slaved over it and can see the enjoyment on the faces of those that can tell the difference. 

There should be a warning label on signing up for this site. It would have been a better idea for me to buy a failing restaurant. 

You are on a slippery slope. I have pastrami and bacon in the cure, pickles from the garden in a brine im elbow deep in a commercial sausage textbook and we have 3 cheese books stacked in the coffee table. 

And kind of like owning a bge, the original purchase (in this case the cheese book) is by far the cheapest part. It is the gateway drug to additional refrigeration, temp
    I am late to the game chiming in (darn work), and love it that the guy that gave me nothing but s$#@ for two years just because I lured him into a multi-pig, multi-year commitment like the Time-Life book salesman. 

Now he’s in deep. 

As for pizza feedstock, don’t forget you have 1/3 of a coppa and 1/3 of a fiocco with your name on it ready to go, and 1/3 of a prosciutto in process.....and that’ll be you in a couple months, quieting your friends’ whining about dairy cow bills by promises of a 1/3 of a wheel of something awesome.

I said it.  It’s time to man up and make some large-format harder cheeses. You’ve been making paneer and mozzarella forever.  Feta?  Bi&$#, please! (but I would still like to try some).  

Time to step it up:

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:

I am late to the game chiming in (darn work), and love it that the guy that gave me nothing but s$#@ for two years just because I lured him into a multi-pig, multi-year commitment like the Time-Life book salesman. 

Now he’s in deep. 

As for pizza feedstock, don’t forget you have 1/3 of a coppa and 1/3 of a fiocco with your name on it ready to go, and 1/3 of a prosciutto in process.....and that’ll be you in a couple months, quieting your friends’ whining about dairy cow bills by promises of a 1/3 of a wheel of something awesome.

I said it.  It’s time to man up and make some large-format harder cheeses. You’ve been making paneer and mozzarella forever.  Feta?  Bi&$#, please! (but I would still like to try some).  

Time to step it up:

Not quite sure we are ready for a 100lb wheel just yet but I’m not one bit surprised you are pushing for it. 

More Sail! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'll await the first bill.  I can probably get my wife more on board for cheesemaking than pig butchering.  She spent her college summers on a Vermont dairy farm so she has some experience in this area.

(Says the guy who just writes a check, goes along for the ride, and occasionally contributes some manpower by making his son do some of the work).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    After a couple of days of chasing temps the cave locked in at 50 degrees. About perfect for queso. Looks like I won’t need a temp controller which is nice. Time to start aging....
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    That's a beautiful pizza!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va