Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchases that last a lifetime

Options
Jeremiah
Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
So I was scanning faceblock and come across an article with that title. Got me to thinking back to when and why I became a BGE owner. I try to buy things like this and continue the “buy once cry once” theory. I carried this thinking to several purchases from my Honda push lawnmower, to my Lodge cast iron. Anyone else keeping to this madness? Care to post up your “well worth it and I’ll never replace it” purchases?  

—the first jackwagon with a Harbor Freight response gets banned by the way. 
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    —the first jackwagon with a Harbor Freight response gets banned by the way.
    Ha!
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Craftsman tools, Honda lawnmower, bge, wusthof knives, Remington shotgun, colt python, custom shop jazz bass, Toyota 4Runner. Most of
    my cast iron are handme downs so I didn’t purchase them but some of them have been in the family since the late 1800s

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Do Yeti coolers count?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Remington 870 pump is a perfect response. I’ve dropped mine in the freezing river, pulled it out, as the water froze instantly, and kept shooting. Lots of guns, I’ll never sell that one. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I subscribe to the concept of purchase quality but have never gone into any with the life-time concept.  Did get 29+ years out of a used car and going on 42 years with a watch.  Now with a late start the BGE should see my life-time finish-line.  
    I could comment on SWMBO but I don't want to take this down a dirt road right now.  ;)
    Edit:  forgot about knives.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    When it comes to tools ,guns and knives yes.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    My BGE and Shirley Fabrication Offset 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Do Yeti coolers count?
    Yes. So what if they’ve become cliche. Mine’s six years old, looks and works like a new one. 
  • Jeremiah
    Options

My house. 

Can’t say. I’ve never been invited to dalton. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

My house. 

I meant the behavior. Now you may never be. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

My house. 

You’re not missing anything man.  It’s a house full of bitters.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Jeep 4 liter straight 6.  Why the hell did they quit making that engine?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

My house. 

And ants. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Jeremiah said:

My house. 

And ants. 
    Ants for sure.  Those little bastards. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Footjoy golf shoes and MacBook Air.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Estwing hammer. Rigid power tools. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Perfect response! Been looking into golf stuff, and the footjoy shoes are a regular mention. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My parents just got rid of the Honda push mower that I used to use 30 years ago. Was still running fine just didn’t look too great anymore from all the salt air in coastal Florida. Also would add my 2005 Honda Accord V6 I’ve changed a starter and an altenator outside of normal maintenance and it’s still going strong. Will probably pass this thing on to my kids. 
  • Jeremiah
    Options

buzzvol said:
    Jeep 4 liter straight 6.  Why the hell did they quit making that engine?
    Agreed. Great motor. Right up there with the Cummins 6, the LS motors, the 5.0 fords, and the 350 chevys. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    TN_Egger said:
    Perfect response! Been looking into golf stuff, and the footjoy shoes are a regular mention. 
    Check out Ecco shoes.  

Also, have a MacBook Air. Biggest issue is storage...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Honestly, it is getting harder and harder to live by that philosophy.  The build quality for things these days is junk.  99% of things are made as cheaply and quickly as possible.  Things are built to fail and be tossed, then buy again.

Knives, guns, hand tools, and cookware fall into the buy once cry once for me.  Everything else is buy knowing it is not for life, and usually hope I get 5 years.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac exactly why I brought this up. This group, seems to keep to the same philosophy. Figured we could gather our own list. Yolks’ ant ridden house doesn’t count by the way. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Lodge Cast Iron.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Some other notables: Coleman lanterns, R and V fryers, USA made Wilton shop vises...
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac exactly why I brought this up. This group, seems to keep to the same philosophy. Figured we could gather our own list. Yolks’ ant ridden house doesn’t count by the way. 
    I caught Amy with a gas can and a weed torch when I got home from work today.  #thoughtsandprayersappreciated
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Just remembered, my flat bed trailer.  Planned lifetime buy with it.  American made sturdy trailer.  Figure it will outlast the various toys O haul with it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    @Jeremiah , great thread idea!  
    My Le Creusets enameled pots/pans, All-Clad pans, Henckel's knives, for sure.  My KitchenAid blender, processor, and mixer, probably (they're the older, cast-iron models).  
    Had a 2-stroke LawnBoy mower, purchased new, that would've lasted my lifetime (like Dad's did) except the dumbsh*t owner forgot to mix the oil into one batch of gasoline, she welded solid after a lap around the lawn.  Still kicking myself; now own the OP's Honda also, may last my lifetime now since I'm old.
    Good feelings about my wood shop.  The Lie-Nielsen planes, british chisels, japanese handsaws, even the Delta power tools with electric motors, would be passed to my grandchildren, if I had any.   :|
    The fiddles, saxophones, mandolin, will live as long as no one sits on them.  The synthesizers, not so much; they'll eventually die out along with the computers.  
    Similarly, the older Nikkor lenses will outlive me.  The cameras (even the film versions) and the newer lenses with AF and VR and plastic bodies, not so much.  
    Finally, my Guaranteed-30-year roof is now 17 years old; she and I are in a race to see who dies first; Die, Beyotch!!   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month