Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    @WeberWho

sometimes you can put a lever or jack on the engine and move it an inch or so out of the way, can make a big difference getting stuff out.
    Thanks Nola.  I was at that point. I ended up removing the compressor brackets which they said not to do. No way it was coming out otherwise. I think I'm going to have a shop rebuild the alternator. 3 out of 4 local autopart stores don't carry it (Because it's Mitsubishi) or they can have it ordered for $350. Napa is pushing $200 after tax. I'm hoping to have it rebuilt for around a Benjamin. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Since I had the tools out in the garage earlier today, I just finished up replacing front discs and pads on my mother-in-laws vehicle. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looks some people ate like kings on Sat night @NPHuskerFL Great cook!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    edited May 2018
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    @WeberWho

sometimes you can put a lever or jack on the engine and move it an inch or so out of the way, can make a big difference getting stuff out.
    Thanks Nola.  I was at that point. I ended up removing the compressor brackets which they said not to do. No way it was coming out otherwise. I think I'm going to have a shop rebuild the alternator. 3 out of 4 local autopart stores don't carry it (Because it's Mitsubishi) or they can have it ordered for $350. Napa is pushing $200 after tax. I'm hoping to have it rebuilt for around a Benjamin. 
     My recommendation is rebuild or OEM.  Autoparts brand alternators are garbage.  Replaced an Acadia alternator.  Same deal, had to remove all sorts of accessories to pull it.  Shop manual said disconnect AC hoses and an engine mount.  I did not disconnect AC hoses because I am cheap.  Well 4hrs later ot was replaced.  8 months later the alternator died.  The life time warranty did not make me feel better.

Second one was OEM and cost twice as much, but it lasted till I sold that Range Rover wannabe.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Alternator failure is usually bearings or the voltage regulator.   
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    @WeberWho

We had a Mitsubishi space wagon when the kids were small and the parts costs were stupid. Mitsubishi UK only sold modules as well, so for one component in the distributor a whole unit was needed. Never again.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Just put these short ribs on..Going with an 11 hour cook at 250 with cherry for smoke... @tarheelmatt..
    Nice. I've got some in the fridge I'm gonna put on in a bit. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    @WeberWho

My recommendation is rebuild or OEM.  Autoparts brand alternators are garbage.  Replaced an Acadia alternator.  Same deal, had to remove all sorts of accessories to pull it.  Shop manual said disconnect AC hoses and an engine mount.  I did not disconnect AC hoses because I am cheap.  Well 4hrs later ot was replaced.  8 months later the alternator died.  The life time warranty did not make me feel better.

Second one was OEM and cost twice as much, but it lasted till I sold that Range Rover wannabe.
    Good to know. Thanks Ozzie. I'm hoping I can have it rebuilt 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Alternator failure is usually bearings or the voltage regulator.   
    Thanks Nola. They have a breakdown of the alternator in the manual to repair it. I had a hell of a time just getting it out. I'd be asking for trouble if I were to crack it open and go through it. I'm hoping I can have it serviced. Eoin in his post above has me a little worried. I appreciate the help and guidance!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    @WeberWho

We had a Mitsubishi space wagon when the kids were small and the parts costs were stupid. Mitsubishi UK only sold modules as well, so for one component in the distributor a whole unit was needed. Never again.
    I had no idea Mitsubishi was so protective of everything. When having the Alternator tested at the local O'Reilly auto parts store they mentioned we'd more than likely would have to buy the alternator from Mitsubishi. They didn't carry it. Ozzie mentioned to stay away from the cheaper alternators. I'm really hoping the local alternator shop will be able to fix it for me. The manual I have shows how to break down the alternator and repair it. Fingers cross that they have parts to repair it. 

Minnesota
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    @WeberWho

I had no idea Mitsubishi was so protective of everything. When having the Alternator tested at the local O'Reilly auto parts store they mentioned we'd more than likely would have to buy the alternator from Mitsubishi. They didn't carry it. Ozzie mentioned to stay away from the cheaper alternators. I'm really hoping the local alternator shop will be able to fix it for me. The manual I have shows how to break down the alternator and repair it. Fingers cross that they have parts to repair it. 

An auto salvage place might have one.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    @WeberWho

An auto salvage place might have one.
    Great point. I'm hoping this alternator was just random that it went out. I couldn't find any other issues online about the alternator going out on any other Outlander Sports. My only concern is that the next one has the same issue. I'll have to look around if I can't get this alternator serviced. Thanks for the tip Eoin!

Minnesota
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    beach

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhh BACON!

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I think I posted here a couple weeks ago about spreading some of last year's red chile powder around a juniper by my sidewalk/driveway, that all the local dogs decided to use as their pee-mail community center.
    We've had a couple rains since then, and only this morning did I remember to check it.  The cement's perfectly clean, can still see some light red stains in the concrete but there's no piss stains whatsoever!  I'm calling this a success.

Now, can anyone tell me how to get the 3 rat terriers (kept in a chain-linked backyard next door) from barking their fool heads off, especially when I'm in my own backyard, or their owners aren't home?  When left alone, they bark continuously, and not AT anything, just as a form of respiration.  
    I'm afraid when I retire in 2 years I'll end up shooting the damn things, and since my neighbor is a cop I'd like an alternate solution.  The SuperSoaker worked a couple times, until the damn mutts figured out its maximum range, and they bark from there.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Botch said:
    I think I posted here a couple weeks ago about spreading some of last year's red chile powder around a juniper by my sidewalk/driveway, that all the local dogs decided to use as their pee-mail community center.
    We've had a couple rains since then, and only this morning did I remember to check it.  The cement's perfectly clean, can still see some light red stains in the concrete but there's no piss stains whatsoever!  I'm calling this a success.

Now, can anyone tell me how to get the 3 rat terriers (kept in a chain-linked backyard next door) from barking their fool heads off, especially when I'm in my own backyard, or their owners aren't home?  When left alone, they bark continuously, and not AT anything, just as a form of respiration.  
    I'm afraid when I retire in 2 years I'll end up shooting the damn things, and since my neighbor is a cop I'd like an alternate solution.  The SuperSoaker worked a couple times, until the damn mutts figured out its maximum range, and they bark from there.  
    Quaaludes wrapped in bacon?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    And just like that, Danica's out.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Getting ready to prep this friggin cow for Monday's cook.

Only 2nd time down the Gold road-first time had a grease fire to deal with.  Hopefully nothing new tomorrow.  Time will tell.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Mowed the lawn again and planted some  tomatoes and peppers. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@JohnInCarolina   Looks good, but where's the money shot?

Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    blasting said:

@JohnInCarolina   Looks good, but where's the money shot?

Ha!  Didn’t get one (I know).  It was actually a little over, but didn’t last much more than five minutes anyway.  We were feeding guests and, well...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Had a visitor when I got home

Target practice.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow