Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who’s Cooking What this Saturday

Options
Just threw two racks of Baby Backs on the smoker, going to be holding at 250. Using some King Kooker Hickory dry rub and garlic. 
Now just waiting for the Giants/Cubs game to start. 

Whats everyone else else cooking today?

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Sadly nothing. But happily going to a dinner for my youngest niece who just graduated college with a mechanical engineering degree. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Bad weather predicted today through Tuesday. I did cook Green Lightning Shrimp yesterday though.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Will be grilling a London broil and corn for a steak salad. 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • SmokeOnTheMountain
    Options
    All looks/sounds great to me so far. @MJG sounds like a winning day to me! Plenty of other days to BBQ, only get to celebrate something like that a few times.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Egg is going to get a workout this weekend.

smoked ~5lbs of bacon.

wife found "kobe america" hamburger  2 x 1lb pkgs for 1/2 price - making burgers for dinner. second package going into the freezer. 

Doing a flat iron Sous Vide with a reverse sear for dinner tomorrow 

Finally, ~8# pork butt going on Sunday around 9:30 for Monday. 
  • SmokeOnTheMountain
    Options
    @onedbguru sounds like you have your work cut out for you this Memorial Day weekend. Hope your planning on posting lots of pics with those kind of cooks setup. How did you season all of that bacon?
  • ElkhornHusker
    ElkhornHusker Posts: 493
    Options
    Blackstone working today, bacon, hash browns, eggs for breakfast.  Hamburgers for lunch.  Father in law requested a refill on his meatloaf supply.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    @onedbguru sounds like you have your work cut out for you this Memorial Day weekend. Hope your planning on posting lots of pics with those kind of cooks setup. How did you season all of that bacon?
    bacon was cured with kosher salt, black pepper and brn sugar for 2 weeks.  smoked it this time with big chunk of maple. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Burgers today (prime rib chuck). Pichana tomorrow which is a first for us 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Some sausage from one of our butchering escapades with @20stone, @caliking, and @The Cen-Tex Smoker.

I'll probably put the sausages on some store bought biscuits from a can that are made en masse with a bunch of artificial ingredients. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Old school today, brisket on the bullet.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeOnTheMountain
    Options
    @onedbguru I’m going to have to give that a try. I haven’t delved into bacon yet. What temp and time are you looking at for something like that, sounds delicious. Might have to try it sooner then later.
    @unoriginalusername hope you post those first time pictures!
    @ElkhornHusker those black stones are nice, looking at getting one myself just waiting for the right time.
    @Skiddymarker my dad used that for years before upgrade to a Komodo Kamado. That thing did him justices though, and he got some great smokes out of it. How long has the brisket been on for?

Anyone have any great bbq planned for the next few days? Is memorial weekend, I’m hoping to throw a brisket on Monday. Have to drive my dad five hours away to pick up a new KK tomorrow. 10hrs round trip, looks like pizza on Sunday, brisket on Monday.
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Made a sausage/onion pizza followed by a pepperoni.  Dialed the temp back now and roasting some corn for a corn salsa with fish tacos tomorrow.  

Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Made a single green chile cheeseburger on the Small today.  It was delicious.

Still haven't been able to get my Smobot to talk to my router, but at least I got the unit to talk to the damper (that tiny 1/8" TRS plug takes some serious force to insert; only because the fine folks at Smobot mentioned it, did I put that much force to get it to "click").  Wasn't planning on any fancy cook on Monday but now that I can use my Smobot, may have to pick up some babybacks or something for Monday.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options

Hoster05 said:

@Hoster05 , I really did a double-take at your pizza stone support; is that the platesetter, legs down, with two bricks holding up the stone?  The shadows just throw me for a loop....    

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Botch said:

Hoster05 said:

@Hoster05 , I really did a double-take at your pizza stone support; is that the platesetter, legs down, with two bricks holding up the stone?  The shadows just throw me for a loop....    
    you are correct on the setup.  My support bricks have taken a good char to them while my platesetter has managed to stay pretty clean. 
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Did prime ribeyes tonight doing pork loin ribs tomorrow!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Have to get the Akorn Jr fired up too as my 7 year old boy says it's just his size.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • SmokeOnTheMountain
    Options
    Looks like we have a pretty good variety of cooks going on today through tomorrow. 
    @ElkhornHusker what are you planning on doing on the akorn?
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Followed Malcom Reed’s bbq shrimp and grits recipe. It’s outstanding 

• SmokeOnTheMountain
    Options
    @CigarCityEgger that’s what I’m talking about. You have a link to that recipe by chance?
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Looks like we have a pretty good variety of cooks going on today through tomorrow. 
    Probably some chicken drumsticks.  Something he can cook.  He was flipping burgers on the Blackstone today.  He loves food, the process, seasonings, flavors, he is all in.  Great dad/son time.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    @CigarCityEgger that’s what I’m talking about. You have a link to that recipe by chance?
    Yessir. He’s got some great instructional videos on a lot of different cookers/recipes.

http://howtobbqright.com/2018/03/29/bbq-shrimp-and-grits/ 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Guys weekend at my boating/fishing/drinking cottage.  Chili dogs for lunch. Buffalo wings for dinner.  Sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast tomorrow.  Flatulence for the next 48 hours, but since we're in a wife-free zone, really doesn't matter.  No pics of food because too drunk to cook AND photo.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options

Started with chicken fajitas and then loaded up with more Rockwood and apple chunks.  Put on 2 pork shoulders for overnight... still going strong this morning !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @onedbguru I’m going to have to give that a try. I haven’t delved into bacon yet. What temp and time are you looking at for something like that, sounds delicious. Might have to try it sooner then later.
    @unoriginalusername hope you post those first time pictures!
    @ElkhornHusker those black stones are nice, looking at getting one myself just waiting for the right time.
    @Skiddymarker my dad used that for years before upgrade to a Komodo Kamado. That thing did him justices though, and he got some great smokes out of it. How long has the brisket been on for?

Anyone have any great bbq planned for the next few days? Is memorial weekend, I’m hoping to throw a brisket on Monday. Have to drive my dad five hours away to pick up a new KK tomorrow. 10hrs round trip, looks like pizza on Sunday, brisket on Monday.
    Total time was under 6 hours, turbo’d brisket if you will. Spritzed with apple juice for first couple hours, temp just over 300º. Once IT was 160º foiled with more rub and juice for another 2 hours. Then FTC until dinner. 
    To some the idea of a braise for a couple of hours seems wrong, but our family likes it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!