Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What muscle car would you buy?

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    14 year old wrecks his dads brand new Shelby GT500 .....

https://youtu.be/vQPp88lplVg
    You think that’s bad. What about the kid that toasts his dad’s Ferrari 250GT...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Nunm3Sbzo

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Cameron in Ferris Bueller’s day off 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Who thought giving Eddie Griffin the keys to a Enzo was a good idea?

https://youtu.be/cNVrMZX2kms
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Range Rover.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    edited May 2018
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Range Rover.
     If @fishlessman 's RR breaks down, what is the socially acceptable response?  I like him and genuinely hope it does not.  Having lived with a habitually broken GMC product I know the pain, but we have warned him, so I am torn.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I believe Range Rovers come with an array of free tennis skirts. 
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2018
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Range Rover.
     If @fishlessman 's RR breaks down, what is the socially acceptable response?  I like him and genuinely hope it does not.  Having lived with a habitually broken GMC product I know the pain, but we have warned him, so I am torn.
    @Ozzie_Isaac
     It should be something canned and consistent, as we will be saying it frequently.
    I guess,  maybe try this; "Well, at least it is not a Ford."
    That won't work. RR is the only vehicle that makes a Ford look awesome.
    Give me some time, this will be difficult...
    I too really like Fish. So happy (sorry) for him.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Range Rover.
    @Ozzie_Isaac
     It should be something canned and consistent, as we will be saying it frequently.
    Is “I told you so” too harsh?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    My old Buick Grand National or my 74 Nova SS witha ls6 conversion
    Love me a BGN! ‘87?!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Maybe a Good Friday night topic but.... I have a while but I’m thinking about buying an American muscle car. I can’t get a demon or shelby or ZL1 so don’t recommend some 80,000-90,000 track car. I plan on keeping my existing 4Runner and driving it into the ground. Whatever muscle car I get will be a fun, rub it with a cloth diaper weekend car  Eventually when I retire decades from now maybe show it around. I will keep it for the rest of my life. Which would you buy if you had your choice of the following:

Dodge Challenger R/T
    Ford Mustang GT
    Chevy Camaro SS
    Used Corvette Stingray
    Depends what you are looking for in a muscle car. Are you after looks, specs, or something else?

I am the happy owner of a Mustang GT with track pack. It’s definitely a fun ride. 

Last weekend, a friend let me test pilot his Challenger HellCat. 707hp and around 650ft-lbs of torque stock. Quite the animal indeed!!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Something in manual transmission 
    While I am a manual enthusiast (currently being the proud owner of a sportscar with a stick), sadly, manuals are now largely much slower than their automatic counterparts and are going the way of the dinosaur. 

Doesn’t much matter... I predict driving by humans will be outlawed by the time the automated self-driving tech is good enough. Statistically much too dangerous. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Range Rover.
    @Ozzie_Isaac
    Is “I told you so” too harsh?
    Maybe if delivered in a nice tone of text????

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    While I am a manual enthusiast (currently being the proud owner of a sportscar with a stick), sadly, manuals are now largely much slower than their automatic counterparts and are going the way of the dinosaur. 

Doesn’t much matter... I predict driving by humans will be outlawed by the time the automated self-driving tech is good enough. Statistically much too dangerous. 
    I hear you. A sequential gearbox makes sense on a track or strip where every second counts. Most sad to see manual transmissions disappearing. Especially in sports cars. I grew up driving manuals when most cars were automatic. I can't fathom owning a sports car without a 3rd pedal. That's just me though. Everyone has their perception of a perfect car. 

My dream car is a 1996 Impala SS. The 96 came with floor shift transmissions. That of course would be switched out with a 6 speed manual transmission. Just need to win the lottery to buy the car and do the transmission swap!  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    WeberWho said:

You need to go sport instead of muscle. Putting a BMW ‘76 2002tii through some turns  around 60 mph that you would have to do 35 in a muscle will rejuvenate you. 
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    A gently used corvette stingray.. 1966 split window is my favorite.. I may have the year wrong though.
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Having grown up in the era of '60s muscle, my heart yearns for some old Detroit iron. I had a '67 Firebird back in the day. That said, compared to modern performance cars, my 'Bird was anemic and handled a lot like a lumber truck. Modern American muscle (Camaro, Mustang, etc.) are really heavy and underpowered unless you spend the big bucks for the jacked up V8s.

If you want affordable fun, take a look at a Subaru WRX or STI. I had a 2011 WRX sedan I drove for almost four years. They are stupid fast and handle like a rally car (they are rally cars). They hold corners so tight they'll throw you out of the seat if you're not strapped in tight. They will absolutely smoke most anything coming out of Detroit today. The only downside was punk kids wanting to race.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    As far as fun cars I had a 72 Buick GS convertible and a 93 Mustang GT. Both fun cars at the time and I thought they were both fairly quick when I had them. Pretty sure they’d both be spanked by a current Honda Oddesey. Once my kids are done with college, 6 years from now, I will be buying a Mustang GT...most likely a ragtop. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Range Rover.
    You are assuming that he bought it. He’s probably still at the dealer on a cot. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Stubby said:
    A gently used corvette stingray.. 1966 split window is my favorite.. I may have the year wrong though.
    I believe 1963 was the only year for the split window. The visibility out of the rear widow was so bad that production of the split window only lasted for one year. My Dad's friend has a 63 Corvette convertible. It's a beautiful car. Not quite as pretty as a split window though. 

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Range Rover.
    You are assuming that he bought it. He’s probably still at the dealer on a cot. 
    This is funny.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Any idea what age declining motor skill and reaction time intersects with increasing knowledge, experience and judgement?  There has to be a sweet spot there for driving the shjt out of a high performance car.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Legume said:
    Any idea what age declining motor skill and reaction time intersects with increasing knowledge, experience and judgement?  There has to be a sweet spot there for driving the shjt out of a high performance car.
    Paging @nolaegghead
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Legume said:
    Paging @nolaegghead
    Spit my coffee...
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    WeberWho said:

You need to go sport instead of muscle. Putting a BMW ‘76 2002tii through some turns  around 60 mph that you would have to do 35 in a muscle will rejuvenate you. 

Dad had a 2002tii restored and painted a factory orange in Alaska. He sold it a couple years back to a Hollywood camera man if I remember right, that guy drove it 1,000 miles across alaska loaded it on a barge and rode with it to “the lower 48”.  He sends dad photos of his car with famous people every now and then. I can still smell that leather.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Legume said:
    It happens precisely six years before the disposable income required is available.  :glasses:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    WeberWho said:

Or you can spend a little money and upgrade the suspension and handling on your muscle car. 
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    Not mine but my wife's car. She always wanted a Mustang so she got one for her 65th birthday. A 2017 GT Premium and it is a beast and fun to drive.

Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.