Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What muscle car would you buy?

Options
TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
Maybe a Good Friday night topic but.... I have a while but I’m thinking about buying an American muscle car. I can’t get a demon or shelby or ZL1 so don’t recommend some 80,000-90,000 track car. I plan on keeping my existing 4Runner and driving it into the ground. Whatever muscle car I get will be a fun, rub it with a cloth diaper weekend car  Eventually when I retire decades from now maybe show it around. I will keep it for the rest of my life. Which would you buy if you had your choice of the following:

Dodge Challenger R/T
Ford Mustang GT
Chevy Camaro SS
Used Corvette Stingray

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Something in manual transmission 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    Nothing made after 1972.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    The Stingray will probably hold the most value over time especially if you plan to hold on to it. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    IF they made it, a 450hp V6 Ecoboost Mustang.

No need whatsoever for that boat anchor V8.       

Not to forget the Ford GT gets near or just above 650hp from a V6.    And nobody is complaining that's too slow!

Cost no object?   An L-88 Corvette.    Shelby 350 (original)   or a 'new' Shelby, which I learned in Vegas (factory there) can still be had NEW and called a '66 or maybe '67.     

The modern 'paddle shift' auto has convinvinced me that Manual Transmission is going away.   
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Dodge Demon or Nissan GTR
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Nissan GTR
    He said no 80-90k track cars so you toss out a $100k track car. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    70’s Stingray for me. And I’m a Porsche prick. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Reading is fundamental.

The Stingray is really the only one of those that appeals to me.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Those options are all basically the same performance wise. It’s just a matter of which one speaks to you more. You can’t go off of others recommendations, it has to be solely about what puts a smile on your face. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Those options are all basically the same performance wise. It’s just a matter of which one speaks to you more. You can’t go off of others recommendations, it has to be solely about what puts a smile on your face. 
    Like I said
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited May 2018
    Options
  • Wchapman74
    Wchapman74 Posts: 52
    Options
    My old Buick Grand National or my 74 Nova SS witha ls6 conversion
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    The newest Mustangs have a beautiful rear, and I'm a butt man, so that's what I'd go with.  
    Had a '71 Rustang but it was hardly a muscle car, just kinda looked like one.  And it wouldn't've lasted into my retirement even now.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    If cost was no object then a Pagani or a Koenigseegg.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited May 2018
    Options

Full disclosure: my son, @DoubleEgger Camaro 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I would like to change my answer.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Nissan GTR
    He said no 80-90k track cars so you toss out a $100k track car. 
     Oops.  First post was tldr.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Nice Chevelle Yolk.

Muscle cars died in the 70s, lots of greats in the 60s.

The cars you listed are really more modern performance than muscle.  Nothing wrong with 'em if that's what you like and they are pretty civilized daily drivers with lots of go.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    70’s Stingray for me. And I’m a prick. 
    FTFY
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    From those choices, I'd pick the stingray. If you can pay cash, or find a way, I'd buy a classic something over any of those choices any day. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I’d love an old challenger or charger but I don’t have 60,000 for the one I want. I like the mustang and new challenger lookwise but I like the power of the ss Camaro.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Rereading, I would get a Tesla Model S 90D to stay US, but since Daimler and Chrysler once were joined, I think a Mecrcedes C63 AMG S Coupe would work.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     Which would you buy if you had your choice of the following:

Dodge Challenger R/T
    Ford Mustang GT
    Chevy Camaro SS
    Used Corvette Stingray
    I like all 4. I’m not brand loyal. I would be happy with any of those choices. 
    On a separate note, if I had the money that most of the high rollers on here have, I would buy one of each =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Rereading, I would get a Tesla Model S 90D to stay US, but since Daimler and Chrysler once were joined, I think a Mecrcedes C63 AMG S Coupe would work.
    You re-read, did you?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Dodge Demon or Nissan GTR
    My Dad's buddy just got a Demon.  840HP.
    I like the modern approach with the trim, dash, sequential lights etc, but I'm in the American old school muscle camp.  There is no substitute, and so many options, car or truck.

Out of the choices, Stingray, all day(Pre 70s).

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You re-read, did you?
    I did.  US made, less than 80K.  Tesla fits the bill.  Mercedes not so much, but I gave a caveat.

I wouldn't get any of those 4.  I have had a mid tier muscle car and always wished I had the faster version, but that is me and I drive a Jeep, so my judgement is already questionable.