Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Komodo kamado Instagram post - OT

Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    That is a pretty cool cooker.  I was thinking of getting one as a solid tailgating grill for the fall.  haha. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Hahaha......yeah on the other side put a pile of money vs. a smaller stack of bills.   Either way they are still very nice and I'm sure I'll buy one at some point.
  • Hans61
    Plus it looks like kk big bad vs a large egg 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    ColtsFan said:
    Lol.... They left out the 9k price tag.

I'll take my two larges, KJ Jr and all their accessories for a third of the price all day

I've got $3,200 into my smoker, pizza oven, griddle, grill collection.
    I'm good at a third of the price, justifies everything.  I don't have a problem.  Thanks for the confirmation. =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    I just don’t understand the appeal of paying so much more for what amounts to a decorative exterior.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    To me, the reasoning is similar to the people who have three million dollar second homes at the Jersey shore. Sometimes these are third homes. They spend the weekends, maybe three months a year down there.
    Wish I could afford one. 
    The cooker or the home :)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    A lot to spend for doing a couple briskets pr bits with baked beans or mac and cheese.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    edited May 2018
    To me, the reasoning is similar to the people who have three million dollar second homes at the Jersey shore. Sometimes these are third homes. They spend the weekends, maybe three months a year down there.
    Wish I could afford one. 
    $1,000,000 question.

Does the $9000 ceramic cook that much better than the $3000 ceramic?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JohnInCarolina
    Wish I could afford one. 
    Yeah “just because you can afford it” doesn’t really cut it with me.  It would be one thing if the KK actually cooked better than the alternatives at the same price point, but I see no evidence of that.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Isn’t that a Vision on that shirt?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Focker
    Smarter, not harder.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I just don’t understand the appeal of paying so much more for what amounts to a decorative exterior.  
    To be fair, I think they are a lot more than just a pretty exterior.

But we live in a world where some folks will spend $25K for a Kalamazoo gas grill so a few grand for a KK is peanuts.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Don't they use less lump?  It will eventually pay for itself.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Focker
    edited May 2018
    Rockwood only in the KK.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Focker said:
    Rockwood only in the KK.
    93 octane?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hans61
    Foghorn said:
    Don't they use less lump?  It will eventually pay for itself.

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited May 2018
    I think they are nice. Kinda like a Ferrari, part of the allure of owning one is its beauty. 
  • Focker
    edited May 2018
    Foghorn said:
    Focker said:
    Rockwood only in the KK.
    93 octane?
    Optimum performance.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DoubleEgger
    The 32” Big Bad is roughly $6100. The 29” XXL is about $3800. The BB has multi level cooking as well. I’ll never buy one but I don’t think the differential is too bad. 
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    If I had the $ I’d get one to look like R2D2. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • JohnInCarolina
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Am I the only one that thinks these are the ugliest grills ever? Even if I had Bezos money I wouldn’t waste it on that ugly crap. I could buy an XXL, XL and about $400 worth of SRF Briskets and still have money left over.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Just an opinion here, but damn those things are fugly. I wouldn’t care it it was on the same price point, as an egg; FUGLY. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited May 2018
    Focker said:
    Wish I could afford one. 
    $1,000,000 question.

Nope, but a Honda Civic will get you to the same places a Mercedes S Class will.  I realize cooking on a Kamado is not the same as driving a Mercedes vs a Honda but you get the point.
  • DoubleEgger
    Focker said:
    Wish I could afford one. 
    $1,000,000 question.

Nope, but a Honda Civic will get you to the same places a Mercedes S Class will.  I realize cooking on a Kamado is not the same as driving a Mercedes vs a Honda but you get the point.
    How do you know how a $9k kamado cooks? 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Good marketing on the T.  I'll bet they are a great grill.  

I like things understated, not sure these would work for me.  Good thing I can't afford one anyway.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited May 2018
    blasting said:

Good marketing on the T.  I'll bet they are a great grill.  

I like things understated, not sure these would work for me.  Good thing I can't afford one anyway.

I dunno. The shirts are kinda dumb. You spend $6k on a cooker and you feel the need wear a shirt comparing it to an egg? It’s like buying a Bentley and wearing a shirt that says my Bentley is better than your Ford Taurus. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    I am open to the possibility that the KK is worth the extra money.  I’ve just yet to hear much of a coherent argument in support of that.

In the meantime, I’ll just go back to polishing the F40 in the garage...
  • DoubleEgger
    I spent $8k on a Wolf stove that I rarely used. I know I would have used a KK far more.