Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Started planning for the outdoor kitchen and bar

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
I have seen some images shared on this forum of some of the most spectacular kitchen builds, ever.

I am humbly asking for some insight on building a smaller design of <150 sq ft, that will be covered with access to all utilities.

What I am looking for is what you found that works great, and what you want to add or if you could modify, what that would it be.

This will be a very long project for me. I plan on completion by Labor Day 2020.

I also plan on redoing the landscaping, again, to allow for this project.

As always, thank you in advance for any insight you wish to share, and hopefully I can host y'all one day for an evening of fun when (if) I complete the project.

These Big Green Eggs are so expensive, after the purchase. Such is life, I suppose.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Ron....the fun is in the design, build and ongoing enjoyment. Having seen your spot...and knowing your landscaper....looking forward to following your design and progress. With your money and taste, I reckone a recon trip to see @SciAggie ....I am in when you are ready!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Ron....the fun is in the design, build and ongoing enjoyment. Having seen your spot...and knowing your landscaper....looking forward to following your design and progress. With your money and taste, I reckone a recon trip to see @SciAggie ....I am in when you are ready!
    That is a great idea. His palatial estate and cooking venue is what everybody dreams about. I am hoping I can get just a fraction of his set up, then I would feel like royalty.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Hey Ron - 

I just finished up a small[er] build that runs along my garage (replaced the old landscaping bed).  This is likely smaller than you were envisioning, but happy to offer some insight if you see anything of interest.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • YukonRon
    Options

I like the set up. How is storage for your cooking area? I am not sure about a gassed at this point, but certainly not off the table, either.
    What appliances did you go with?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Just keep the vision in mind! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• YukonRon
    Options
    heres my spectacular setup =) nice to be able to sit and wave to the boats going by

100_0865jpg

start with the things you need, i need a large egg, a gasser, a big burner for boils/steaming/canning, a smaller sized blackstone, a big cutting board(plastic so i can toss it in the lake before bringing it indoors)  i have all those things on the deck and it still kinda looks like this pic ;) that weber in the back is now an herb garden, you want an herb garden in there, i roll that into the house for winter, just rolled it back out sunday
    I have a Weber I have been using for storage, and I really like your idea for a herb garden.

I do want to incorporate 3 BGEs ( MM, Med, XL), a Blackstone, maybe a gasser (?), water supply, electrical, gas.. fridge, maybe an ice maker(?) Wine / drink cooler. Work spaces, cutting boards, (like the idea on hd plastic).

Getting all of this together under a roof might be an issue. I definitely wish to maximize the storage capability, as I need to get a bunch of cooking items out of the garage and kitchen.

Oddly, I am not that interested in a pizza oven, as I love what we do with the BGEs. They will be my focal point.

Thank you for providing direction... 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Thanks Ron!  The storage is fairly excellent - lots of beer storage in my refrigerator. 

But in terms of storage, the combo unit directly beneath the propane grill is full storage, as is the unit directly under the egg - and the access drawer leading to the p-trap for the sink is 100% storage too.  The unit on the right is a trash/recycle.

The primary units that you see are a Liebherr RO 510 fridge (very impressed with the condenser on this unit in the TX heat), a DCS 30" grill with rotisserie, and a Forno Bravo Casa2G90 wood-fired oven (thanks @SciAggie).  I'm happy to get info on the other units (manufacturer/model #) if you're interested.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    YukonRon said:

I like the set up. How is storage for your cooking area? I am not sure about a gassed at this point, but certainly not off the table, either.
    i would not build the gasser in, roll it away after use.  pretty much only use it for cooking corn and toasting bunns, and the rare guest that brings food and wants to cook it. i seen one of those bread ovens on tv on a turn table that spun with a fire place in back
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    YukonRon said:

i would not build the gasser in, roll it away after use.  pretty much only use it for cooking corn and toasting bunns, and the rare guest that brings food and wants to cook it. i seen one of those bread ovens on tv on a turn table that spun with a fire place in back
    Haha, I'm liable to get banned for saying this, but the utility of the gasser goes far beyond cooking corn and toasting buns (although my preference will always be for cooking on the big green egg).  But these DCS units are professional devices in every respect - they get to ~700 degrees within 2 minutes of firing.  I'd have to burn through a lot of lump with a weed burner and a makeshift hairdryer to do that with a BGE.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    And to your point, I incorporated electrical (4 outlets, 20A dedicated service w/ GFCI) and a cold-water line to my outdoor kitchen.  Well worth the effort!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thanks Ron!  The storage is fairly excellent - lots of beer storage in my refrigerator. 

But in terms of storage, the combo unit directly beneath the propane grill is full storage, as is the unit directly under the egg - and the access drawer leading to the p-trap for the sink is 100% storage too.  The unit on the right is a trash/recycle.

The primary units that you see are a Liebherr RO 510 fridge (very impressed with the condenser on this unit in the TX heat), a DCS 30" grill with rotisserie, and a Forno Bravo Casa2G90 wood-fired oven (thanks @SciAggie).  I'm happy to get info on the other units (manufacturer/model #) if you're interested.
    We have been doing a neighborhood pizza/clean your fridge night pretty regularly around here on the BGEs, and it is a lot of fun, so I don't know that I will go for the pizza oven as yet, but my design will be done so that we may modify at a later date with additional items.

As I get closer to selecting appliances, I will reach out to you. I will need to consider 4 seasons within set up, with temp ranges of below zero to 105F+ here in Louisville.

I am thinking a small instant on water heater for the kitchen. Do you have any experience with that?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @northGAcock @YukonRon Y'all c'mon over. we'll cook some kind of dead animal and drink something that's been fermented for a while.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @northGAcock @YukonRon Y'all c'mon over. we'll cook some kind of dead animal and drink something that's been fermented for a while.
    I will reach out to you, and brother Robin, when I get a bit more of the scope of the project understood. Thank you for the generous offer.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Haha, I'm liable to get banned for saying this, but the utility of the gasser goes far beyond cooking corn and toasting buns (although my preference will always be for cooking on the big green egg).  But these DCS units are professional devices in every respect - they get to ~700 degrees within 2 minutes of firing.  I'd have to burn through a lot of lump with a weed burner and a makeshift hairdryer to do that with a BGE.
    it all depends on your needs. my lobster steamer setup holds 20 two pound lobsters, i cook alot of lobsters =) and i use the propane tank off the gasser for that =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @YukonRon - if you scope this well you can eliminate any serious landscaping and no grass to mow.  Of course, scoping and then getting Planning and Zoning approval (Suzy) may be a tall order.  Good luck.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @NorthPilot06 I hope you enjoy your WFO as much as I enjoy mine.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - if you scope this well you can eliminate any serious landscaping and no grass to mow.  Of course, scoping and then getting Planning and Zoning approval (Suzy) may be a tall order.  Good luck.  
    A huge ROGER THAT!
    My zoning board and home CPA may have a bit of an input on that, as she absolutely is death threatening me on a daily basis about her flower garden.
    But, if I can get by with at least one area not having to mow, I am all in.
    Great tip Cap! Thank you.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Commenting so I can follow. Thinking of doing something similar. Need to do something to enjoy the 4 months of half decent weather we get here. 
    Looking at digging this area out, stairs down from above and a nice patio. Not hikacking, just want to see what you do so I can try to steal it. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @gmac
    No worries, this is going to be an open forum type dialogue, and any information shared will be beneficial to all which participate, or at least that is my goal.
    Feel free to participate in any manner you please.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I’d try to keep it as generic as possible. By that I mean don’t overly commit to something like built in gassers etc. At some point in time, a piece of equipment is going to need replacement and you might have a hard time finding a suitable replacement of exact dimensions. When we were looking at houses, a lot of places had built in gassers, fridges etc. Most outdoor kitchens were in rough shape appliance wise. Many outdoor setups I considered to be tear outs because they were too customized to outdated equipment. 

Also, give yourself some room to grow. Your tastes might change/evolve moving forward. 

Can’t wait to see your final designs 
  • gmac
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @YukonRon what’s the budget?  I’ve got about  $78 to work with. Gonna be tight :)
    Can’t wait to see what you end up doing. Glad to see someone is ready to pull the pin. I cant make up my mind. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited May 2018
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168392/show-us-your-cookin-spot/p1

Some great pics in that thread.  Putting my XL in the corner helped kill any unusable spaces and made my L shaped kitchen flow much better. 

I've since covered my grilling space. I had let all the fear of blackening the ceiling keep me from covering it. Covered is the way to go. I have 10 foot ceiling height and there is no sign of smoke damage in 2+ years.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168392/show-us-your-cookin-spot/p1

Some great pics in that thread.  Putting my XL in the corner helped kill any unusable spaces and made my L shaped kitchen flow much better. 

I've since covered my grilling space. I had let all the fear of blackening the ceiling keep me from covering it. Covered is the way to go. I have 10 foot ceiling height and there is no sign of smoke damage in 2+ years.

@Thatgrimguy

Excellent information and thank you so much for the input. I am planning a cover and may vent. I also had wanted about a 10-12ft ceiling with fans mounted in the corners and on the ceiling as well.
    I really like the corner placement idea, I can see how that can impact usable space.
    Appreciate it brother.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I’d try to keep it as generic as possible. By that I mean don’t overly commit to something like built in gassers etc. At some point in time, a piece of equipment is going to need replacement and you might have a hard time finding a suitable replacement of exact dimensions. When we were looking at houses, a lot of places had built in gassers, fridges etc. Most outdoor kitchens were in rough shape appliance wise. Many outdoor setups I considered to be tear outs because they were too customized to outdated equipment. 

Also, give yourself some room to grow. Your tastes might change/evolve moving forward. 

Can’t wait to see your final designs 
    Michael, good idea and great input. I am a million miles from that spot, throwing plans together. 
    Had an architect at the house last night and he gave me a ton of pointers.
    Our space here in the city is rather small, so I really do not have the room for being overly extravagant, which is good, because it would not fit the aesthetics of our old craftsman type home we are restoring.
    I am trying to design to retro fit as needed and add on, but, I think it unlikely to add too much more.
    Thank you for the input.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    gmac said:
    @YukonRon what’s the budget?  I’ve got about  $78 to work with. Gonna be tight :)
    Can’t wait to see what you end up doing. Glad to see someone is ready to pull the pin. I cant make up my mind. 

I am starting a go fund me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Especially since you may be tight on space, maybe reconsider the fridge and wine cooler?

i briefly looked into building an outdoor kitchen, and wanted a fridge, but the cost of a good fridge that would do well in the TX heat didn’t seem worth it. 

Again, my dalliance with the idea doesn’t come close to the thought you are giving to yours. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gmac
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    gmac said:

I am starting a go fund me.
    Can you make it a go fund us?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @YukonRon if I recall right, wasn't last night a brisket, slushie and wine fueled evening?  Thus you may want to have a do-over  =) 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.