Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Started planning for the outdoor kitchen and bar

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Re : tunes - I'm no audiophile, but have you considered Sonos? The Play 1 units are specifically designed for high humidity environments (bathrooms) and can be paired for stereo. No wiring to run, except power.

I've had one outside, on the shelf of my BBQ table, so it doesn't get wet in the rain, has worked well for the past couple of years. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Hey Ron -

i work in the restaurant business.
    Pointers I’d contribute are things like -

lots Of prep  space that’s easy to clean. Especially oil spills that stain surfaces easily - floor splatters!!

Everyone wants granite cutouts and useless rock. I’d integrate cutting board cutouts that fit those standard vinyl boards that can be put in the dishwasher that are different colors for different foods. Utilitarian? Maybe. But cheap to replace and easy to clean means more meat in the grill and more time spent with family. 

Real power and real sink is very very helpful. 

Storage is good. Having your cooking needs handy on the fly is really good. Don’t be ashamed of hanging things like pizza peels, spatulas ladels and tongs, towels, and rib racks. 

I would integrate a waterproof overhang, specifically for my Smoke wireless thermometer. I love that thing. Whatever electronics you use will thank you for this. 

Dont forget the music. No real
    kitchen ever existed without 
    robotic sounds or death metal. 

lighting - more is better

fire suppression - safety first!

I would also suggest looking at an outdoor deep fryer. We have a small one. It gets used less than the egg, but if you’re frying anything the advantages of having it outside become clear very quickly. This also harkens back to the floor splatters suggestion. 

We ALMOST MIGHT be using our blackstone more than our egg. Integrating that would be a definite, in our home. 

Outdoor refrigerators will fail. Indoor refrigerators have got it bad enough, as it is lol. I’d make an insert that fit a standard mini fridge style size and literally slide those things in and out as they die. Cheap. My friends with outdoor kitchens barely use their outdoor fridges. And the ones who have them have broken fridges they never bother to get repaired. But cold beer is delicious. 

As is bourbon slushies...

... as is bloody marys.......

ok. Now I’m thirsty. 

Good luck! Hope I threw some out of the box ideas your way. Cant wait to see how it goes!

8-Damien

Very good points, but if the weather is as Ron is describing, I think an indoor-style fridge will be woefully inadequate.  It definitely won't hold food-safe temperatures, and your beer won't be particularly chilled.  The only two brands sold at the BBQ Outfitters store down here that can maintain food-safe temperatures are the Leibherr and Tru brands.

FWIW, keeping your fridge stocked is an excellent way to reduce the stress on your compressor.  We regularly go to Costco to buy drinks in bulk and keep it loaded down.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    MaskedMarvel said: cerf
    Hey Ron -

lots Of prep  space that’s easy to clean. Especially oil spills that stain surfaces easily - floor splatters!!

Everyone wants granite cutouts and useless rock. I’d integrate cutting board cutouts that fit those standard vinyl boards that can be put in the dishwasher that are different colors for different foods. Utilitarian? Maybe. But cheap to replace and easy to clean means more meat in the grill and more time spent with family. 

Storage is good. Having your cooking needs handy on the fly is really good. Don’t be ashamed of hanging things like pizza peels, spatulas ladels and tongs, towels, and rib racks. 

I would integrate a waterproof overhang, specifically for my Smoke wireless thermometer. I love that thing. Whatever electronics you use will thank you for this. 

I would also suggest looking at an outdoor deep fryer. We have a small one. It gets used less than the egg, but if you’re frying anything the advantages of having it outside become clear very quickly. This also harkens back to the floor splatters suggestion. 

We ALMOST MIGHT be using our blackstone more than our egg. Integrating that would be a definite, in our home. 

Outdoor refrigerators will fail. Indoor refrigerators have got it bad enough, as it is lol. I’d make an insert that fit a standard mini fridge style size and literally slide those things in and out as they die. Cheap. My friends with outdoor kitchens barely use their outdoor fridges. And the ones who have them have broken fridges they never bother to get repaired. But cold beer is delicious. 

ok. Now I’m thirsty. 

Good luck! Hope I threw some out of the box ideas your way. Cant wait to see how it goes!

8-Damien

Damien:
    These are all Great points, and thank you very much. Kentucky, especially, Louisville, is a very very humid place, which is surprising to many upon their first visit here, and temperatures of the various seasons have tremendous differences. That had been my concern about outdoor fridges.

We are planning a full service sink, and the two things we found important on the demolish and rebuild of our kitchen: storage and prep space, just as you had mentioned.

We are going with a roofed structure, with sufficient overhang to protect all the electronics, and there will be lighting, a significant amount, as well as ceiling fans, and mounted on the 4 corner posts, we will add oscillating fans.

There will be plenty of power and outlets available, and we plan on using a small, instant on water heater. A water shut off valve will be located inside our home for freezing weather.

I also agree about tunes. We will integrate an HQ audio system within the structure, and add a monitor as well.

One concession I have made for My Beautiful Wife, is an outdoor fireplace. We already have a fire pit, but, ok.....

Thank you again for the pointers. Your insight is valued.

Ron.....sounds like you have already given this a bit of thought. What you thinking about the bar side. I am sure there are some wine related things you have in mind?
    @northGAcock

Robin:
    Given the fact that the sq footage will be somewhat limited, and the cellar as well as the wine fridge in our kitchen is within crawling distance, The provisions for our wine will be stemware and maybe a couple of decanters.
    Suzy wants to put a small wine cooler outside, but, you have seen how we go through the wine at events, and I would just end up going back inside to get more anyway. Besides, I would get the responsibility of keeping that thing stocked, so, being fat, slow and lazy, I think I will treat the guests to selecting whatever they want, and let them do the fetching. Great idea or what?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Here is an idea you can consider.  My wife did not like the idea of a bar/kitchen on our patio.  Here in central IL the winters would have been hard on it plus we would not be able to use it a lot of the year.  So we built a bar along the wall that leads to the outside patio.  Don't have to walk any further than we would if it was outside.  This allowed for all year usage plus appliance were inside out of the elements.  I know you are in the middle of gutting/redoing your house so just something to think about.I do like that idea, unfortunately, the rear entrance to our house is the kitchen door we just finished. 
    @saluki2007

Given the fact the winters can be a bit difficult to handle, we were thinking using some radiant IR heaters as well as some propane standing heaters, along with HD curtains we can draw to help keep the heat in.
    I actually saw this on a VRBO in Colorado a few years back, at an elevation of around 9000 ft, where in summers, at best it might get to the mid 70sF, and at night, while there in August, it never got above 40F.
    I figured if they can handle it there, we should do ok in the winter here.
    The curtains were 18" from the top horizontal beam and ran almost to the floor, so there would be adequate ventilation.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    Re : tunes - I'm no audiophile, but have you considered Sonos? The Play 1 units are specifically designed for high humidity environments (bathrooms) and can be paired for stereo. No wiring to run, except power.

I've had one outside, on the shelf of my BBQ table, so it doesn't get wet in the rain, has worked well for the past couple of years. 
    Absolutely nothing is off the table. I do like Sonos, and everyone I have heard has been impressive. 
    Thank you for the input. This will be considered.
    I have also been looking at a few companies, one of which is also one of our clients, Bose.
    I am looking at RHA and others as well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @YukonRon I'm not sure what your design process entails, but I found it very helpful to "build" my kitchen using Google Sketchup. My wife admits to having trouble visualizing some ideas. This software was very helpful for her in this regard. It was helpful for me because I could see things in the appropriate dimensions and scale. Our kitchen came out almost exactly the way we had drawn it up.

One other thing: You might consider the prevailing wind as you lay out your kitchen. It's often breezy here in Coleman. I purposefully laid out the eggs so that the prevailing winds would blow across the kitchen and not into our faces. I'll actually pat myself on the back for that one - it has made the kitchen more pleasant. Something to think about...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @YukonRon I'm not sure what your design process entails, but I found it very helpful to "build" my kitchen using Google Sketchup. My wife admits to having trouble visualizing some ideas. This software was very helpful for her in this regard. It was helpful for me because I could see things in the appropriate dimensions and scale. Our kitchen came out almost exactly the way we had drawn it up.

One other thing: You might consider the prevailing wind as you lay out your kitchen. It's often breezy here in Coleman. I purposefully laid out the eggs so that the prevailing winds would blow across the kitchen and not into our faces. I'll actually pat myself on the back for that one - it has made the kitchen more pleasant. Something to think about...
    Absolutely great input. Prevailing winds here typically are primarily southwest for summers and northwest for the winters in origin.
    The placement I had in mind took this into consideration. However, I will also share that our location in Louisville, gets wind from almost every direction.
    I will do Google sketch up. I do want to have it drawn up, and utilize something that will allow me to edit for design change.
    Thank you sir!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Hey Ron -

ok. Now I’m thirsty. 

8-Damien

Damien:
    These are all Great points, and thank you very much. Kentucky, especially, Louisville, is a very very humid place, which is surprising to many upon their first visit here, and temperatures of the various seasons have tremendous differences. That had been my concern about outdoor fridges.

We are planning a full service sink, and the two things we found important on the demolish and rebuild of our kitchen: storage and prep space, just as you had mentioned.

We are going with a roofed structure, with sufficient overhang to protect all the electronics, and there will be lighting, a significant amount, as well as ceiling fans, and mounted on the 4 corner posts, we will add oscillating fans.

There will be plenty of power and outlets available, and we plan on using a small, instant on water heater. A water shut off valve will be located inside our home for freezing weather.

I also agree about tunes. We will integrate an HQ audio system within the structure, and add a monitor as well.

One concession I have made for My Beautiful Wife, is an outdoor fireplace. We already have a fire pit, but, ok.....

Ron.....sounds like you have already given this a bit of thought. What you thinking about the bar side. I am sure there are some wine related things you have in mind?
    @northGAcock

Robin:
    Given the fact that the sq footage will be somewhat limited, and the cellar as well as the wine fridge in our kitchen is within crawling distance, The provisions for our wine will be stemware and maybe a couple of decanters.
    Suzy wants to put a small wine cooler outside, but, you have seen how we go through the wine at events, and I would just end up going back inside to get more anyway. Besides, I would get the responsibility of keeping that thing stocked, so, being fat, slow and lazy, I think I will treat the guests to selecting whatever they want, and let them do the fetching. Great idea or what?
    Are you saying I am gonna have to get up off my lazy butt and walk all the way inside to get another bottle of wine for you (and me)? You are killing me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Hey Ron -

ok. Now I’m thirsty. 

8-Damien

Damien:

@northGAcock

Robin:
    Are you saying I am gonna have to get up off my lazy butt and walk all the way inside to get another bottle of wine for you (and me)? You are killing me.
    Maybe I can invite someone else over too?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    edited May 2018
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Hey Ron -

ok. Now I’m thirsty. 

8-Damien

Damien:

@northGAcock

Robin:
    Maybe I can invite someone else over too?
    Will you be putting in a urinal so that the guy folk don't have to go in pee on the Suzy's landscaping?

• YukonRon
    Options
    um, no.

We just demolished and redone both bathrooms and it took us almost a year to do. it will either be in the back yard (away from My Beautiful Wife's flower gardens), or our two newly remodeled, redesigned bathrooms.

For you, I will make sure to have a bucket on hand though, just in case it is raining.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    um, no.

We just demolished and redone both bathrooms and it took us almost a year to do. it will either be in the back yard (away from My Beautiful Wife's flower gardens), or our two newly remodeled, redesigned bathrooms.

For you, I will make sure to have a bucket on hand though, just in case it is raining.
    Those large crowds you have, you should really think about an outdoor spot for the guys. Suzy would appreciate the guys not trucking through the house. I bet with someone smart, we could trench and join into a neighbors sewer system....all on the downlow. Let me know. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    You keep getting me into a lot of trouble.
    As old as the sewer system is around here...no way do I want problems with that.....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    caliking said:

Sonos is AWESOME!! I have them everywhere on my property. I LOVE it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    I like the oscillating fans on the corner posts... will they be of the misting variety?  
    Southwestern CT
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I like the oscillating fans on the corner posts... will they be of the misting variety?  
    I do not believe so. I really have not thought about swamp coolers, just some decent air movement. Will investigate though. Today where we are in Louisville, about 4-5 miles from the river, the humidity is low for this time of year, just 82% RH with temps in the upper 80s. This morning and yesterday it hovered around 95% the entire time with temps in the 90s.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:

Our friends and my BIL absolutely agree with you. We are definitely going to check them out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    caliking said:

Our friends and my BIL absolutely agree with you. We are definitely going to check them out.
    +1 on the Sonos.. And the newer versions come with Alexa capabilititpes built in.. 
    Southwestern CT
  • northGAcock
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    You keep getting me into a lot of trouble.
    As old as the sewer system is around here...no way do I want problems with that.....
    Ron....we just talkin number ones....no number twos ;)

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,535
    Options
    If I could re-do my backyard setup, I'd only change one thing, but it's a biggie:
    Keep your cooking area on the ground level, whether it be pavers, cement, flagstone, gravel, dirt, bones of laborers, etc.  I would NOT put it up on any decking, even 6" as I'd done (others may disagree, I've seen some cool setups).  My 2-scents... 

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,535
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    ...the humidity is low for this time of year, just 82% RH with temps in the upper 80s. 
    And suddenly I love living in the Rockies again, despite the church-state!

I've had a chance to catch up on this thread now, glad to see Ron that you're building on solid ground.  

Another, more general thing I've noted:  there's so much enthusiasm, even militant tribal support for those damn esspensive Yeti and YTIC coolers, that hold ice for weeks, yet folks are recommending fancy outdoor fridges that stand up to the humidity....  Why not just buy a couple $2 bags of ice every Saturday and use your fancy coolers?  Flame suit: check!   ;)

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• YukonRon
    Options
    Botch said:
    If I could re-do my backyard setup, I'd only change one thing, but it's a biggie:
    Keep your cooking area on the ground level, whether it be pavers, cement, flagstone, gravel, dirt, bones of laborers, etc.  I would NOT put it up on any decking, even 6" as I'd done (others may disagree, I've seen some cool setups).  My 2-scents... 
    We are planning to keep it on level ground as you had suggested.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Botch said:
    YukonRon said:
    ...the humidity is low for this time of year, just 82% RH with temps in the upper 80s. 

I've had a chance to catch up on this thread now, glad to see Ron that you're building on solid ground.  

Another, more general thing I've noted:  there's so much enthusiasm, even militant tribal support for those damn esspensive Yeti and YTIC coolers, that hold ice for weeks, yet folks are recommending fancy outdoor fridges that stand up to the humidity....  Why not just buy a couple $2 bags of ice every Saturday and use your fancy coolers?  Flame suit: check!   ;)
    That's what I would do here in IL, with Arctic Ice Chillin Brews.  Plan ahead on Thurs night by prechilling.  

My 35qt Pelicans make for a great casting stand, bait box, seat, ottoman, outdoor end table.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,236
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Botch said:

Stamped concrete is worth the extra money. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Botch said:
    YukonRon said:

That is exactly what My Beautiful Wife pointed out to me tonight. Great minds......
    I am catching hell for all my Yeti purchases, which we use everday.....such is life...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Botch said:

Stamped concrete is worth the extra money. 
    A guy up the street had it done. Looks killer, and I want it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Focker said:
    Botch said:
    YukonRon said:

That's what I would do here in IL, with Arctic Ice Chillin Brews.  Plan ahead on Thurs night by prechilling.  

My 35qt Pelicans make for a great casting stand, bait box, seat, ottoman, outdoor end table.
    I agree. I will have them in use.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Haha I'll say y'all are right with the coolers, it's a lot cheaper and just as effective - but the last thing I wanted to do is put in a great entertaining area and roll out coolers to serve drinks to people.  Just one guy's $0.02 :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Haha I'll say y'all are right with the coolers, it's a lot cheaper and just as effective - but the last thing I wanted to do is put in a great entertaining area and roll out coolers to serve drinks to people.  Just one guy's $0.02 :)
    I understand what your thinking, but I will need something to make my fellow forum friends to feel right at home..   
    The debate rages for the fridge on the home front. I will say this, whether we get it or not, a space will be made available for a fridge in the plans, just saying..  

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Ron when I was in college we had a kegerator on the front porch but kids kept trying to steal it. So we put it in the living room and ran a tap line through the wall. We could take the head off when we weren't using it so nobody could just walk up and pour beer. 

Now, I'm sure you're going to want to have a much classier set up, but you could do the same thing with a couple of different bottles of wine and set them up on a pour tap. (Obviously this one is for beer but as you know they make them for wines as well. And leave you more space outside. (Then you can take the tap heads off when the kids and their friends come home!)
    Then you could just cabinet in a small cheap fridge. My dad kept one on a carport in Tennessee by the lake and that thing lasted at least a decade. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN