Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy Crap, Never Had That Happen Before

Options
So I did a burn off last night.  Cleaned out the debris and ash and loaded fresh lump.  Went to start it with a Looftlighter and after a minute or two there is a lout whooosh and a two foot flame starts jetting out of the lit spot.  Loud and strong like a propane torch.  Lasted about 45 second.  WTH!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Delayed Backflash...but, would've thought it was out  :confused: 
    It must have still had some life to it when you added the new lump
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Delayed Backflash...but, would've thought it was out  :confused: 
    It must have still had some life to it when you added the new lump
    I've never had a back flash that was jet like.  Always just a general flash when the lid was lifted.  The lid had been up 15 minutes when this occurred.  Since the back flash occur when oxygen hits smoldering embers maybe you're right and there were pack lump that opened up, but man this was like a torch.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited May 2018
    Options
    So I did a burn off last night.  Cleaned out the debris and ash and loaded fresh lump.  Went to start it with a Looftlighter and after a minute or two there is a lout whooosh and a two foot flame starts jetting out of the lit spot.  Loud and strong like a propane torch.  Lasted about 45 second.  WTH!
    Had that happen, but with propane weed burner.  Fire sucked oxygen out, propane still flowed, opened lid, huge fireball.  Kids were most impressed.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Jebus, just went to stir the old lump and add more for steaks and what do I find?  A burned ruptured aerosol can.  Mosquito spray, something else?  That explains the flame jet.  Never saw anything other than rocks in the lump before.  Guess I will pay more attention.

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    Jebus, just went to stir the old lump and add more for steaks and what do I find?  A burned ruptured aerosol can.  Mosquito spray, something else?  That explains the flame jet.  Never saw anything other than rocks in the lump before.  Guess I will pay more attention.
    wut...
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Yowza! Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how concerned I would be about what might have been in that spray can.

I quit pouring charcoal straight from a bag a few years ago. Now I empty  whole bags into Rubbermaid storage containers. That allows me to pick/sort so I can get the sizes I need for whichever grill it's going into and helps deal with fines/chips. It also allows me to see any unexpected items that might be in the bag.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Bet he’s using cowboy lump
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Holy crap. Glad you weren’t injured. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Charcoal.... now with DEET. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I think Doc was one of the guys that buys the shops out of Royal Oak when it gets crazy cheap.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Jeebus is right.  You're lucky nobody was friggin killed man!  

In totally unrelated news, please nobody bring old aerosol cans to the next Butt Blast. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Dodged a real potential disaster right there.  Time to buy a lottery tix.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Find some old c rats, of peanut butter, in the can. Toss on the campfire. Seek shelter, enjoy the missle launch.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Dayam!!   :o

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Damn Doc, first off glad you didn’t get hurt by the potential torpedo in the lump, 2nd care to share brand of lump for other users?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Doc, you need more Allegro. Protects the cook from the lump fighting back, bourbon does not hurt either. 
    Glad all is well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Jason Bourne did that in Tangiers.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    St. Elmo's Fire......very rare..last seen in the mid eighties! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Damn Doc, first off glad you didn’t get hurt by the potential torpedo in the lump, 2nd care to share brand of lump for other users?
    Royal Oak.  Only other thing I've ever found in it is rocks.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Check the bag again, maybe its their new self-lighting lump?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
     Pyrolysis
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Jeebus is right.  You're lucky nobody was friggin killed man!  

In totally unrelated news, please nobody bring old aerosol cans to the next Butt Blast. 
    I can picture @nolaegghead throwing them in the fire....

Johns Creek, Georgia