Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AFC (Asian Fried Chicken) Wings

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
A riff on Korean fried chicken. I’ve been thinking of these for a while, so decided to do something about it. 

Chix wings marinated overnight in rice cooking wine, Malaysian fermented chili paste (minyan cili), black pepper, fresh ginger. 

Blotted dry, then dredged in AP flour (seasoned with salt, cumin, and pepper... left over from a previous cook) 1/3rd cup, rice flour (1 TBSP), and cornstarch (2/3rd cup). Fried at 350F for 5 mins, rested, then fried at 400F for 5 mins. 

Made sauce with with extra hot Indonesian chili sauce (samba extra pedas), more chili paste, thin sliced garlic, agave nectar, and the remaining marinade (about 2 TBSP). Simmered for 5 mins. Tossed the wangs in the sauce. Dusted with shichimi togarashi and roasted sesame seeds.

Flavors came together very well- crunchy, hot, sweet, deep spicy flavor. Scratched the itch for sure. 

Hope everyone is having as good a day as I am :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Love KFC for sure!   2 wings though?   I'd be left hungry lol
    Seriously though they are fantastic looking
  • Looks good @caliking. Looks like you can do wings as well as you can demolish bourbon slushies.  ;)
  • caliking
    stv8r said:
    Love KFC for sure!   2 wings though?   I'd be left hungry lol
    Seriously though they are fantastic looking
    Those were just for the fancy picture. :)

There were 10 more lurking off set. Caliqueen called midday to check on me, and asked me to save her some. 

*crickets*

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Damn the many miles between our cribs.  That sounds frickin awesome. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    Damn son!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Wow, don't know what a bunch of those ingredients were, but it all sounds and looks spectacular!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Damn that sounds awesome and looks even better!!

whats with the double fry?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I wish you could hit the like button twice. Man those look and sound amazing!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    Looks good @caliking. Looks like you can do wings as well as you can demolish bourbon slushies.  ;)
    Sometimes, I can :smiley:

• caliking
    Theophan said:
    Wow, don't know what a bunch of those ingredients were, but it all sounds and looks spectacular!
    Thanks.

I'm an "ethnic ingredient" hoarder, so at any given time, I have all kinds of ketchups, hot sauces, seasonings, fermented spicy things in the pantry. Often times, its hard to go wrong throwing a bunch of those things together. 

• caliking
    @blind99 - the double fry is key to getting the signature crunch of Korean fried chicken.

I took some liberties with the recipe for the sauce, and it needs to be tweaked. But the frying x2 was common to all of the recipes I found. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited May 2018
    Dude- looks fantastic!

I'm in Seoul right now, going for Galbi now, but I see some chimaek in my future.. Inspirational!

Edit - a colleague just got in, he wants to eat now now.. Chimaek now, galbi later.. Thanks again!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    That was an incredible read of your recipe. The end results look delicious. I absolutely love wings, but that is at a level I will never reach.
    You are the MAN!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    @sumoconnell  - Nice!  

• blind99
    caliking said:
    @blind99 - the double fry is key to getting the signature crunch of Korean fried chicken.

I took some liberties with the recipe for the sauce, and it needs to be tweaked. But the frying x2 was common to all of the recipes I found. 
    I've never done a double fry but may have to give it a whirl.

I think we need to modify the pork belly burnt ends recipe with a deep fry finish.  i'd love a bite that has a bit of crunch on the outside.  i've tried crisping the edges in a CI pan but it's really time consuming and still not quite the right consistency.  

• caliking
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:

I've never done a double fry but may have to give it a whirl.

I think we need to modify the pork belly burnt ends recipe with a deep fry finish.  i'd love a bite that has a bit of crunch on the outside.  i've tried crisping the edges in a CI pan but it's really time consuming and still not quite the right consistency.  

You need to ping @DMW. I think he’s done brisket burnt ends with a deep-fry finish. They looked pretty amazing. 

• blind99
    that mofo probably drank some bourbon and deep fried some stuff... fess up @dmw .... googling the forum is not helping me 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    blind99 said:
    that mofo probably drank some bourbon and deep fried some stuff... fess up @dmw .... googling the forum is not helping me 
    I did boneless short ribs sous vide, then cubed them and flash fried to finish. They were glorious.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1630950/#Comment_1630950
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    This looks incredible. I love it!
    You really make me want to up my game. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blind99
    DMW said:
    blind99 said:
    I did boneless short ribs sous vide, then cubed them and flash fried to finish. They were glorious.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1630950/#Comment_1630950
    yeah that looks damn good.  i'm so hungry now

it's time to add deep frying to the game...
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Ain't nothing wrong with it!! I love Asian food.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • caliking
    blind99 said:
    you apparently know Dwayne well...

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Dude!  Killing it here lately.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    bgebrent said:
    Dude!  Killing it here lately.
    Just barely trying to catch up with you, sir :)

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Now to finish off the perfect Egg cook of those wings. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Cali those wings look and sound awesome . 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • caliking
    edited May 2018
    Mickey said:
    Now to finish off the perfect Egg cook of those wings. 
     I don't think I'm grown up enough to pull that off :)
    What temp do you get the oil up to when frying on the mini?

• caliking
    texaswig said:
    Cali those wings look and sound awesome . 
     Thanks! Where have you been hiding?