Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

AFC (Asian Fried Chicken) Wings

calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
A riff on Korean fried chicken. I’ve been thinking of these for a while, so decided to do something about it. 

Chix wings marinated overnight in rice cooking wine, Malaysian fermented chili paste (minyan cili), black pepper, fresh ginger. 

Blotted dry, then dredged in AP flour (seasoned with salt, cumin, and pepper... left over from a previous cook) 1/3rd cup, rice flour (1 TBSP), and cornstarch (2/3rd cup). Fried at 350F for 5 mins, rested, then fried at 400F for 5 mins. 

Made sauce with with extra hot Indonesian chili sauce (samba extra pedas), more chili paste, thin sliced garlic, agave nectar, and the remaining marinade (about 2 TBSP). Simmered for 5 mins. Tossed the wangs in the sauce. Dusted with shichimi togarashi and roasted sesame seeds.


 

Flavors came together very well- crunchy, hot, sweet, deep spicy flavor. Scratched the itch for sure. 

Hope everyone is having as good a day as I am :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
«1

Comments

  • stv8rstv8r Posts: 638
    Love KFC for sure!   2 wings though?   I'd be left hungry lol
    Seriously though they are fantastic looking
  • Looks good @caliking. Looks like you can do wings as well as you can demolish bourbon slushies.  ;)
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
    stv8r said:
    Love KFC for sure!   2 wings though?   I'd be left hungry lol
    Seriously though they are fantastic looking
    Those were just for the fancy picture. :)

    There were 10 more lurking off set. Caliqueen called midday to check on me, and asked me to save her some. 

    *crickets*

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyoutheyolksonyou Posts: 16,186
    Damn the many miles between our cribs.  That sounds frickin awesome. 
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

    My chili did not suck. 
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 11,548
    Damn son!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

    "The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT


  • theyolksonyoutheyolksonyou Posts: 16,186
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

    My chili did not suck. 
  • TheophanTheophan Posts: 2,123
    Wow, don't know what a bunch of those ingredients were, but it all sounds and looks spectacular!
  • blind99blind99 Posts: 4,202
    Damn that sounds awesome and looks even better!!

    whats with the double fry?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,328
    I wish you could hit the like button twice. Man those look and sound amazing!
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
    Looks good @caliking. Looks like you can do wings as well as you can demolish bourbon slushies.  ;)
    Sometimes, I can :smiley:

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
    Theophan said:
    Wow, don't know what a bunch of those ingredients were, but it all sounds and looks spectacular!
    Thanks.

     I'm an "ethnic ingredient" hoarder, so at any given time, I have all kinds of ketchups, hot sauces, seasonings, fermented spicy things in the pantry. Often times, its hard to go wrong throwing a bunch of those things together. 

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
    @blind99 - the double fry is key to getting the signature crunch of Korean fried chicken.

    I took some liberties with the recipe for the sauce, and it needs to be tweaked. But the frying x2 was common to all of the recipes I found. 

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,422
    edited May 15
    Dude- looks fantastic!

    I'm in Seoul right now, going for Galbi now, but I see some chimaek in my future.. Inspirational!

    Edit - a colleague just got in, he wants to eat now now.. Chimaek now, galbi later.. Thanks again!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,218
    That was an incredible read of your recipe. The end results look delicious. I absolutely love wings, but that is at a level I will never reach.
    You are the MAN!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
    @sumoconnell  - Nice!  

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99blind99 Posts: 4,202
    caliking said:
    @blind99 - the double fry is key to getting the signature crunch of Korean fried chicken.

    I took some liberties with the recipe for the sauce, and it needs to be tweaked. But the frying x2 was common to all of the recipes I found. 
    I've never done a double fry but may have to give it a whirl.

    I think we need to modify the pork belly burnt ends recipe with a deep fry finish.  i'd love a bite that has a bit of crunch on the outside.  i've tried crisping the edges in a CI pan but it's really time consuming and still not quite the right consistency.  

    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:
    @blind99 - the double fry is key to getting the signature crunch of Korean fried chicken.

    I took some liberties with the recipe for the sauce, and it needs to be tweaked. But the frying x2 was common to all of the recipes I found. 
    I've never done a double fry but may have to give it a whirl.

    I think we need to modify the pork belly burnt ends recipe with a deep fry finish.  i'd love a bite that has a bit of crunch on the outside.  i've tried crisping the edges in a CI pan but it's really time consuming and still not quite the right consistency.  

    You need to ping @DMW. I think he’s done brisket burnt ends with a deep-fry finish. They looked pretty amazing. 

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99blind99 Posts: 4,202
    that mofo probably drank some bourbon and deep fried some stuff... fess up @dmw .... googling the forum is not helping me 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DMWDMW Posts: 12,463
    blind99 said:
    that mofo probably drank some bourbon and deep fried some stuff... fess up @dmw .... googling the forum is not helping me 
    I did boneless short ribs sous vide, then cubed them and flash fried to finish. They were glorious.

    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1630950/#Comment_1630950
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

    XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 5,387
    This looks incredible. I love it!
    You really make me want to up my game. 

    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

                                                                                  -Umberto Eco

    2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blind99blind99 Posts: 4,202
    DMW said:
    blind99 said:
    that mofo probably drank some bourbon and deep fried some stuff... fess up @dmw .... googling the forum is not helping me 
    I did boneless short ribs sous vide, then cubed them and flash fried to finish. They were glorious.

    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1630950/#Comment_1630950
    yeah that looks damn good.  i'm so hungry now

    it's time to add deep frying to the game...
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • HubHub Posts: 658
    Ain't nothing wrong with it!! I love Asian food.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
    blind99 said:
    that mofo probably drank some bourbon and deep fried some stuff... fess up @dmw .... googling the forum is not helping me 
    you apparently know Dwayne well...

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,457
    Dude!  Killing it here lately.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
    bgebrent said:
    Dude!  Killing it here lately.
    Just barely trying to catch up with you, sir :)

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,734
    Now to finish off the perfect Egg cook of those wings. 

    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

  • texaswigtexaswig Posts: 2,226
    Cali those wings look and sound awesome . 
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

    Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
    edited May 16
    Mickey said:
    Now to finish off the perfect Egg cook of those wings. 
     I don't think I'm grown up enough to pull that off :)
    What temp do you get the oil up to when frying on the mini?

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,106
    texaswig said:
    Cali those wings look and sound awesome . 
     Thanks! Where have you been hiding?

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.