Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daily grind...what’s yours?

Options
Sitting at work thinking about everything else but work. What do you guys do?

I am in accounting at a steel mill 7-4 with a hour commute and then do 5:30 -8/9 trying to help on the farm a couple days a week. Dreaming of cooking and competitive shooting the whole time.
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

Also sitting here wishing I was at home making a Brisket Point on the Egg. Alas in 2 hours I will make my 1.5hr drive home where I will be greeted for 5 seconds and then asked to make dinner. At least it will be outside on the egg.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Answering one email after another and thinking about its 5 o'clock somewhere, awe hell its 5 o'clock now...cheers fellas!!!!
    O-Town, FL

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Trying to read all the posts it the What Are you doing, and what are you drinking right now threads :open_mouth:
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • AintEZbeingme
    AintEZbeingme Posts: 177
    Options
    Been an educator for 30+ years & still love the 3 most favorite reason I chose  this profession - June, July, &  August
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Wish I was as lucky as @northGAcock and got to work from home. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options

Also sitting here wishing I was at home making a Brisket Point on the Egg. Alas in 2 hours I will make my 1.5hr drive home where I will be greeted for 5 seconds and then asked to make dinner. At least it will be outside on the egg.

I feel ya on this.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i get to the gym (a new item on the list) at 3:45, into the office by 4:30 before I get bugged and so I can be productive, home around 6:30 - 7p and get asked whats for dinner, kids to bed and TV time with the wife and then rinse repeat.  it may seem busy but I am so used to it I barely notice anymore, we are designing on a new program and its all hands on deck for a few years, its either all or nothing.   my wifes sister complained the other day  her husband working 9hrs, she said I wish I got that some times, but she never complains on Fridays.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Sorry to rub it in but woke up this AM with the kid for a half hour. Wife came home from the gym, took him to daycare. I went back to sleep. Woke up at 10:30 am. Got online. Went to get some lunch. About to dial into my first and only meeting today. Then probably go pick up the kid and hang out with him on a sunny afternoon.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Work in treasury on central time, start around 6, done before 3, home by 330 if I stop at the store.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2018
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Sorry to rub it in but woke up this AM with the kid for a half hour. Wife came home from the gym, took him to daycare. I went back to sleep. Woke up at 10:30 am. Got online. Went to get some lunch. About to dial into my first and only meeting today. Then probably go pick up the kid and hang out with him on a sunny afternoon.

Must be nice. I see my kids for about 2 hours a day. That's what I get for working so dang far from home but the money is good. Strike that, the money is sufficient but the time lost sucks big time

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I mowed the lawn today.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    In IT... clicking buttons, typing, and cussing stupid people most days. Get in the office 7:30ish, home 5:30ish. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    @dmourati are you hiring?

I work in water resources engineering.  Have been able to work from home a fair amount lately which has been nice.  @TEXASBGE2018 I used to do the long commutes in DFW and it is soul-sucking, so I feel for you.  
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Moved from Houston to get out of the rat race which was 6am-7pm or later. With a 30min-1hour commute each way (would always depend on traffic).

Now it's more like 730am to 5pm with a 20-25 minute drive home (and now just depends on if I get stuck behind a tractor). I'm in marketing/advertising for a barbeque company. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dmourati said:
    I have a lot of days like this. It’s awesome. Going on an 8 day trip to Seattle and MI starting tomorrow though so it all balances out. Taking the wife with me to seatttle through the weekend though so it’s all good. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Arabian dark roast, through a French press, water at 203º...
    Wait, wat?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Wilma likes her pepper grind kinda fine, but I like mine more on the course side.
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    No comment.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    I work as a right-of-way agent buying utility easements for electric and natural gas transmission and distribution.  Pretty flexible schedule.  Worked from home from 8:00 - noon today, then took the dog with me and drove an hour to a job site where I checked in with some property owners to settle damage payments from a new transmission line that was installed.  Home by 4:30.  I’ll make a few calls tonight to set up appointments for later in the week.  Not a bad gig.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Options
    dharley said:
    Surgical Tech/First Assistant. For ten years I worked in a Level 1 Trauma Center. Left to work for the much smaller hospital three miles (seven minutes) from my house, three years ago, to be closer to home and always available for my kids.

I work 0700-1530 most days. Take seven days of call per month. I worked fourteen yesterday fixing a few broken bones and delivering three babies via c-section. Fourteen in an OR might seem like a long time, but it goes quick and it's incredibly satisfying. Also, 14 straight in an OR will buy a new large.
    Nice.

I work in the hospital as well, 12s, that end up more like 13 after no lunch and bedside reporting off.  20 min commute through town.  Have a smaller hospital 5 min away, but I love my Mgr, staff, patients, preceptoring new nurses, instructing students, too much.  It's a pretty darn good gig.

Had an all day 8hr workshop yesterday.  It was brutal, as the time stood still.  Makes you appreciate being busy.

As crazy as the floor is, it is rewarding, as each day is different, with different challenges.
    For some strange reason, I don't see myself sitting around taking all day to decide what to egg during retirement.  I left a plastic injection molding plant due to the repetitive prison sentence bore.  Nothing wrong with it, just not my gig for 30 years when looking ahead.

I'm a grunt, and I'll just stay in the trenches, working as hard and long, as I can for my peeps.

I do see myself maybe getting a Minnie Winnie and exploring travel nursing in my 50s.  My house has a perfect spot for it.  I look at floating now as training. Lol
    We'll see.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    Focker said:
    dharley said:
    Surgical Tech/First Assistant. For ten years I worked in a Level 1 Trauma Center. Left to work for the much smaller hospital three miles (seven minutes) from my house, three years ago, to be closer to home and always available for my kids.

I work 0700-1530 most days. Take seven days of call per month. I worked fourteen yesterday fixing a few broken bones and delivering three babies via c-section. Fourteen in an OR might seem like a long time, but it goes quick and it's incredibly satisfying. Also, 14 straight in an OR will buy a new large.
    Nice.

I work in the hospital as well, 12s, that end up more like 13 after no lunch and bedside reporting off.  20 min commute through town.  Have a smaller hospital 5 min away, but I love my Mgr, staff, patients, new nurses, students, too much.  It's a pretty darn good gig.

Had an all day 8hr workshop yesterday.  It was brutal, as the time stood still.  Makes you appreciate being busy.

As crazy as the floor is, it is rewarding, as each day is different.
    For some strange reason, I don't see myself sitting around taking all day to decide what to egg during retirement.  I left a plastic injection molding plant due to the repetitive prison sentence bore.  Nothing wrong with it, just not my gig for 30 years when looking ahead.

I'm a grunt, and I'll just stay in the trenches, working as hard and long, as I can.
    I do see myself maybe getting a Minnie Winnie and exploring travel nursing in my 50s.  My house has a perfect spot for it.  I look at floating now as training. Lol
    We'll see.

The big hospital was 45 minutes without traffic, 1:15 with. I didn't care for the manager. The one before or after. If it had been 20, the choice would have been tougher.

Kudos for still digging the 12's. I worked 7p-7a through college as a CNA. That sh!t is tough. I'm a combat Marine, and I'll tell you that sh!t is tough.

I'm on board with the traveling. My youngest is 12, I'm 40. When he's done with school and off the payroll, I'm traveling in a Minnie Winne with a Mini Max.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I create preference and overcome objection. Work from home unless I'm on the road seeing prospects/clients. I'll be in Nashville for a conference next week.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    No grind here-don't do coffee!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    I’m a freelance gynecologist 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    DMW said:

I'd like to meet you one day Dwayne, but you and I are in very different worlds.

Phoenix 
  • DMW
    Options
    blasting said:
    DMW said:

I'd like to meet you one day Dwayne, but you and I are in very different worlds.

Not so. We both have Big Green Eggs. The same world, the only world that matters.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    DMW said:
    Nice ELK dashboards.
    Mountain View, CA