Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First and last “Turbo”

Options
Tried the “turbo” method today on a pork butt (a little over 8lbs); 340 dome temp. For me, it took 8 1/2 hours to get to internal temp of 200. Got lots of good bark but the rest was dry and tough. Got some good flavor but going to stick with low and slow. Saw other posts where their turbo took about 5 hours so not sure why mine took longer. Maybe should have used multiple thermometers to compare. This was my 2nd cook for a pork butt on the BGE. First one did low and slow (250) that took 16 1/2 hours then FTC. Texture on that one was perfect but still learning on getting the smoke flavor where I want it. Guess one can’t rush these things. 
Large BGE
Milton, WV but from the Deep South. 

Comments

• MGOms
    MGOms Posts: 21
    Options
    Large BGE
  • MGOms
    Options
    Second pic was the low and slow. It didn’t shrink up like the turbo method. Both butts were about the same size. 
    Large BGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    When doing Turbo and it's the only way I will do them............. I double wrap them in foil when the internal hits 160 ish, put it back on until internal is 195-200 then in the cooler at least 1/2 hour just as good as low and slow. As for the smoke if you are comparing to a pellet smoker it will never be that smoky. I have found that most people don't really like PP real smoky.  

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• MGOms
    Options
    Have an electric smoker that I am comparing results to. Low and slow on the BGE unquestionably has the better texture. Figured there would need to be a “wrap” in the equation for the “turbo” method. We like the bark so much so I hate to wrap since it tends to make the bark mushy. 
    Large BGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Just increasing the temp is the wrong way to do turbo in my opinion.

I keep the low temp until it hits 160.  That lets the Butt pick up as much smoke as possible.  Then you wrap in foil and bump the temp to 350 or so.  It cruises right through the stall.  If you don’t wrap, you won’t get that.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I’ve found my best results with pork butts are to wrap about it hits the stall...speeds up the cook and comes out super moist. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    MGOms said:
    Have an electric smoker that I am comparing results to. Low and slow on the BGE unquestionably has the better texture. Figured there would need to be a “wrap” in the equation for the “turbo” method. We like the bark so much so I hate to wrap since it tends to make the bark mushy. 
    I think you will find the bark to be as you like it, I agree with John above on the smoke. I like my sleep and low and slow is 100% to me not worth the time. If you can make it to the GA. Mountain Eggfest I will prove it to ya. Either way keep working on it and you will find what works for you, it took me several years to do so. The most important thing is what works for you and a finished product that you like, I have tried many a recipes on here that others loved and for me not so much. Keep at it and you will find your winner. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Well said, Jim!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I will start at 325-350 and end there too.  Keep an eye on the sugar content of the rub but other than that just let it roll.  I’ve done a 10lb in 8hrs

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    100% turbo butt fan. I usually cook 5 pounders. 350 indirect at 45 minutes per pound gets me to the 190 range. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I wouldn’t declare defeat yet. Your thermometers either need some recalibrating, or the probe in your pork was not in the correct place. That happened to me once. A four pounder was taking forever. I moved the probe and found that the pork was done. From what you described, your pork was likely way over cooked. Probably boiled off most of the moisture in there.  Also, I never wrap when using the egg. Wrapping does a few things. One is get you thru the stall faster. Cooking at 300 plus pretty much elimates the stall. Wrapping also adds moisture. For pork, moisture usually isn’t a problem. The egg also holds moisture well. The other thing wrapping does is softens the bark. Some like that aspect and some don’t. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • MGOms
    Options
    Checked thermometers and they are all spot on. I noticed that I had the meat probe under the bone so not the right location. I’ll know next time to check temp with other probes after 4 hours to be sure. Thanks for all of the feedback! 
    Large BGE
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I like to cook pork butts around 300 dome. I spritz hourly with 50/50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar. I wrap when it hits 160 and spray heavily. Remove from egg @ 195-200 and FTC until ready to eat. Comes out great every time.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I am right there with you.  Not a fan of turbo.  Nope.  Low and slow for me.  I'm in no hurry.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    I've done a couple turbos recently but prefer slow n low. The texture just seems weird to me on turbos. Flavor was always good, it was just something about the texture I didn't like. Wife and kids don't seem to notice though. I don't think I ever had one go 8 hours though so I agree you left it on there too long.
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    Add another to the list of not a fan of "turbo".  I have had much better results with low and slow for my ribs and pork butts.  Although, turbo is a great option being it gives you the ability to enjoy tasty, smoked meats if you are short on time.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    As others have said, turbo is almost fail proof. I've never done a low and slow butt. Turbo butt is the easiest cook for bank for the butt you can do on the egg. Beef ribs are a close second.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I perfer Low and slow for butts, but I will do turbo. I am a huge fan of turbo ribs however.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Fat content...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    I do mine at 350 until `160, then I put the butt in a Dutch oven in back in teh Egg or in the oven in the house and let it finish.  Works perfect every time.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I just did my first turbo butt yesterday. A little over 8 lbs, at about 370. Foiled at 165, then pulled at 205. Total time 5 ½ hours. Texture was obviously different from the low and slow method, but still outstanding. I think I'll be doing this from now on.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited May 2018
    Options
    faaaaaaaaat

content...

or IMF for them there folks who went to them there universities.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Is that a probe in the left end?  If so, looks like a lot of fat and that may have been problem.  Wrong place.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    opps sorry, meant right end of butt
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I do mine at 350 until `160, then I put the butt in a Dutch oven in back in teh Egg or in the oven in the house and let it finish.  Works perfect every time.

@xfire_ATX Just curious, what's the purpose of finishing inside?  If the DO finish is your thing, why not finish outside in the already hot egg?

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    When doing Turbo and it's the only way I will do them............. I double wrap them in foil when the internal hits 160 ish, put it back on until internal is 195-200 then in the cooler at least 1/2 hour just as good as low and slow. As for the smoke if you are comparing to a pellet smoker it will never be that smoky. I have found that most people don't really like PP real smoky.  
    Don’t listen to him, he is from North Carolina. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    @xfire_ATX Just curious, what's the purpose of finishing inside?  If the DO finish is your thing, why not finish outside in the already hot egg?

Cook other things or likely want a more controlled finish if I need to leave the house
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.