Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First and last “Turbo”

Options
2»

Comments

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Looks like too much rub, with too much sugar, cooked too high for too long to me. 

Gotta wrap if you turbo, right around the stall. 

Or dont turbo and enjoy a few more beers while you yell at everyone to leave you alone, while you cook dinner. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Looks like too much rub, with too much sugar, cooked too high for too long to me. 

Gotta wrap if you turbo, right around the stall. 

Or dont turbo and enjoy a few more beers while you yell at everyone to leave you alone, while you cook dinner. 
    I've told by many porkheads here NEVER wrap on turbo.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    edited May 2018
    Options
    high IMF, wrap and make pork butt jelly
    Low IMF, no wrap but also no pork butt jelly
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I always do butts low and slow, tried a turbo once but as has been said, the texture isn't the same. Goodwife said " It doesn't pull the same....".  we like our pulled pork shredded, not chunky. I start first thing in the AM, usually done and pulled by 9:00 PM.  We have it the next night for supper, I enjoy it more when my nose is not smoked up from tending the fire.  I have a second egg, and a KBQ, so am able to do something else at the same time!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I always do low and slow. I primarily use my pellet smoker now due to ease of use, I smoke for 12 hrs @ 190 deg and increase the temp to 225 and cook until the butt hits 195 internal temp. At this point I probe to determine tenderness and either remove from the smoker or continue to cook. Depending on the butt size, the total cook time is 15 to 17 hours.
    Cooking at the lower temp allows the butt to spend a lot longer in the smoke and yields a better smoke profile.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I’m not a big ‘turbo fan, funny how quite a few older retired gentlemen on this site (with lots of time on their hands are really into fast turbo cooks AND how the younger crew here (with little or no extra time are into low & slow smoking — ‘Sunday observations’
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @SoCalTim - from this old retired guy's perspective there never seems to be enough time to get everything done that me and SWMBO want to accomplish. The hourglass here has much more sand on the bottom than the top and it is dropping down at an accelerated pace. You have more time left to enjoy that long cook so cherish that time. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.