Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double brisket cook tonight.

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Two prime briskets going on 14# and a 12# after trim weight. Smoking with pecan.
RD on the 14 Costco on the 12. RD prime looked superior to the Costco brisket, by far.
Has anyone else noticed any differences?
Using a coffee spice rub......

Another shot:

Trying to help some folks out, just finished her third round of chemo. Things are not going so well for our friend, thus far.
Hopefully some comfort food for their family will help.
Fvck cancer.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Looks like a feast awaits...hope it brings much needed comfort to all.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited April 2018
    I have not seen prime at my RD. Looks like a good start. Your a good man Ron.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Bowne1
    Bowne1 Posts: 20
    Thank you for doing that. Our son of 23 died after a 5year battle with cancer only 6 months ago. People like you are the solid foundation that people like me and others can count on during difficult times.  My bride and I are now doing the same for others.  Past it on my brother and god bless your friend and thank you. D
    Large, Med and a Yoder YS480 . 1 Beautiful Wife, 2 Dogs and always looking for a MM 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Good job Ron, you and Suzy are good and LOVING people, hoping for good results for your friend.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Good deed Ron.  Enjoy the cook and ensuing banquet.  Best wishes to your friend.  Fvck cancer.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:
    Two prime briskets going on 14# and a 12# after trim weight. Smoking with pecan.
    RD on the 14 Costco on the 12. RD prime looked superior to the Costco brisket, by far.

Another shot:

Trying to help some folks out, just finished her third round of chemo. Things are not going so well for our friend, thus far.
    Fvck cancer.
    That's a whole lot of comfort. Mighty find gesture also there Ron.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Very nice Ron, you are a very kind and good man. Best of luck to your friends.
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I don't know where to start so I will address the brisket question first...I do not have access to RD but for the past several months I have been disappointed with the Costco prime briskets.  Lower quality butcher job, very heavy on the hard fat and very thin with the flat.  
    What you are doing will be much appreciated beyond the true enjoyment of the groceries.  You provide a diversion that will have quite a carry-over impact and all to the positive.
    Now for the fvking cancer-take no prisoners, stay positive and above all do your best to not let the friggin treatments wear you down.  It sucks!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    You're a good egg Ron.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    We should all be so lucky to have friends so thoughtful. 

Ron- thanks for your caring heart and your post. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • YukonRon
    Thank you everyone for the kind words, they are appreciated.
    However, this I do know, I am doing nothing different than anyone on this forum would do, in a heart beat.
    This is a great group of folks, of which, more than once, I have been the benefactor from you all.
    Glad you all are my friends.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I've been thinking the brisket traffic has been slow lately,  way to make up for it!   Now do I spy 1 probe in the point and 1 in the flat?   Or is that first brisket just fat side up?   Bad eyes over here...   
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    Bowne1 said:
    Thank you for doing that. Our son of 23 died after a 5year battle with cancer only 6 months ago. People like you are the solid foundation that people like me and others can count on during difficult times.  My bride and I are now doing the same for others.  Past it on my brother and god bless your friend and thank you. D
    I am humbled by the sharing of your words, and deeply touched by your kindness.
    I am so sorry for the loss of your child.
    You will remain in our thoughts.
    I am only doing, what I know so many others in this forum do, everyday.
    Peace my friend.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Good job Ron, you and Suzy are good and LOVING people, hoping for good results for your friend.
    Thank you for the best wishes. They could use them right now. The chemo has taken its toll, and it has been devastating, to say the least.
    Hoping for the best.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Looks like a feast awaits...hope it brings much needed comfort to all.
    Thank you. That is what this is all about. Trying to bring comfort for those in much more need.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    JRWhitee said:
    I have not seen prime at my RD. Looks like a good start. Your a good man Ron.
    I see it rarely as well, but, this prime looked fantastic when I bought it. I was in the Louisville store this past week and they had 12, about a buck/pound more than Costco, and looked to be worth every penny.

Thanks for the kind words, you would do the same.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    bgebrent said:
    Good deed Ron.  Enjoy the cook and ensuing banquet.  Best wishes to your friend.  Fvck cancer.
    Thanks Brent. I put them on after My Beautiful Wife and I finished the slushies. Low and slow my man.....
    FC, indeed.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:

Another shot:

Fvck cancer.
    That's a whole lot of comfort. Mighty find gesture also there Ron.
    Hoping it brings them some joy. You are helping too. I am using the rest of the oak charcoal you were so kind to share with me for this cook.
    You are a good man.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Gman2 said:
    Very nice Ron, you are a very kind and good man. Best of luck to your friends.
    Certainly aporeciate the thoughts for our friends. 
    I am not doing anything special, just trying to help. The same as you would in times like these.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    I don't know where to start so I will address the brisket question first...I do not have access to RD but for the past several months I have been disappointed with the Costco prime briskets.  Lower quality butcher job, very heavy on the hard fat and very thin with the flat.  
    What you are doing will be much appreciated beyond the true enjoyment of the groceries.  You provide a diversion that will have quite a carry-over impact and all to the positive.
    Now for the fvking cancer-take no prisoners, stay positive and above all do your best to not let the friggin treatments wear you down.  It sucks!
    She is a courageous woman, who knows how to live life. Hate to see this happen to anyone.

I think I am done with the Costco packers for a while, I am going back to SRF. I will always check to see what they have, but doubt I will be wanting to buy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Your friend is indeed fortunate to have a friend like you. Very good of you, sir. Feeding the body does feed the soul.

Re: Costco briskets, I too found that the flats are thin, and the points are noticeably smaller than on other packers. I prefer to buy HEB Prime,  or CAB when they have them, even if they cost a tad more than Costco.

My brisket game is not at the point though where I would splurge on SRF without significant increase in sphincter tone. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    Jeremiah said:
    You're a good egg Ron.
    You would do the same. Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Wolfpack said:
    We should all be so lucky to have friends so thoughtful. 

Ron- thanks for your caring heart and your post. 
    Thanks for the kind words. You would do the same.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    GoooDawgs said:
    I've been thinking the brisket traffic has been slow lately,  way to make up for it!   Now do I spy 1 probe in the point and 1 in the flat?   Or is that first brisket just fat side up?   Bad eyes over here...   
    I did not really pay any attention in the set up, but I was sure to put the fat side down for both.
    I think your eyes are pretty good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    caliking said:
    Your friend is indeed fortunate to have a friend like you. Very good of you, sir. Feeding the body does feed the soul.

Re: Costco briskets, I too found that the flats are thin, and the points are noticeably smaller than on other packers. I prefer to buy HEB Prime,  or CAB when they have them, even if they cost a tad more than Costco.

My brisket game is not at the point though where I would splurge on SRF without significant increase in sphincter tone. 
    This is most unusual for me at this juncture, the need to do two...I do brisket about once a month or every two months as of late.

So I am thinking, when the sales come up, just buy a few and jeep them frozen until needed.
    The sources for full packers are few and far between around here.

If I could get prime anywhere else, I would.

Thank you for the kind words, you would do the same, of this, I am certain.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Unfortunately my RD rarely has prime but when I have been lucky to get one there I seem to recall there being less fat to trim.  

Nice of of you to cook a little comfort for your friend.  Hope your cook is stellar.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • YukonRon
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Unfortunately my RD rarely has prime but when I have been lucky to get one there I seem to recall there being less fat to trim.  

Nice of of you to cook a little comfort for your friend.  Hope your cook is stellar.
    Thank you for the kind words. I hope the cook turns out, I have been having some problems getting my temperature right. But I will get it.
    Looking fo a noon finish, but you never know.

Thinking on doing SRF next time the sale rolls around.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Cute dog alert
    Still growing. Thankful our daughter has a dog, that lives at our house. Bliss with two cats. Not really. Not at all. You get used to it though, like living next to the ATL, after a while you don't even notice.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Ron, please tell me her first name and I will include her in my prayers.
    By the way, good job bud.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs