Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double brisket cook tonight.

Options
13»

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    @blind99  @lousubcap
    Well I thought I would pass along some of the info to Costco for review.  I'm not holding my breath that this will get any attention, but I ran it up the chain.
    I even informed them that it was "Senior Members" with a lot of experience and advanced culinary skills.   :)

Esmeralda V has joined the chat
     James: I'm an avid back yard cook and I'm a member on a forum where members can share experiences and post cooks, recipes etc. Recently Costco Prime Briskets are getting less than stellar reviews for the quality. Has something changed?
     Esmeralda V: Hi James! Thank you for choosing Costco! My name is Esmeralda V - I'm reviewing your request and will be with you in just a moment.
     James: Here's a post from a senior member who has a lot of experience with Prime Cuts. 
     James: As far as the beef, I have no idea why Costco briskets get graded prime. I used to get RD briskets, and they were graded choice. The RD beef was every bit as good as the Costco stuff. I try to find the oldest, floppiest brisket available and hope it's had some time to wet age and maybe tenderize a bit. Might be fun to buy one a few week ahead of time, and another the day before the cook, and cook side by side and see if there's a difference.
     James: Here is another from a senior member with advanced culinary skills. 
     Esmeralda V: Thank you for bring this to our attention. On your behalf, I will forward your information to the appropriate department. 
     James: usually let the brisket wet age a couple of weeks. I don't have access to RD but I can tell you that my Costco packer brisket experience for the past few months has been of lower quality than before. They all have more hard fat, long and thinner (width-wise), more silver skin and very thin in the flat. Definitely seems to be a downward trend quality-wise. FWIW-
     Esmeralda V: Thank you. 
     Esmeralda V: I will forward your information. I do not see any changes that have been made on the Briskets. 
     James: Thank you...a lot of forum members purchase Costco Prime frequently but now are looking at other sources due to inconsistency. Thank you for your help.
     Esmeralda V: You are welcome, have a wonderful day. We'd love to know how we did serving you! If you would like to tell us about your experience, please share your feedback here: https://secure.opinionlab.com/ccc01/o.asp?id=hBWebQdN
     James: Will someone follow up with me?
     Esmeralda V: I am sorry, no, we will forward your information for further review. They do not follow up with members. 
    Thank you for the heads up. That needed to be done.
    I am a big time Costco brisket cooker, and I know for a fact, my Costco quality for briskets has declined since they ran out last summer and replaced what they were selling with the briskets we get now.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @SSQUAL612 - most excellent for running this up the corporate organization.  Hopefully some action but given their foot-print who knows how, if any action will translate to the supply chain.  BTW- you have very broad definitions of culinary skills  ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SSQUAL612 - most excellent for running this up the corporate organization.  Hopefully some action but given their foot-print who knows how, if any action will translate to the supply chain.  BTW- you have very broad definitions of culinary skills  ;)

My mistake...meant to say Advanced Bourbon Skills. =)
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • YukonRon
    edited April 2018
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    lousubcap said:

My mistake...meant to say Advanced Bourbon Skills. =)
    Got that right.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Next door neighbor came by this afternoon, had a brisket sammie.
    Took home a two pound slice. He is very happy. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Bourbon skills... brisket skills... we sound like the napoleon dynamite of the bbq world!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle