Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Free $34.95 Penzey's Spice Box

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    Is anyone else worried about the impending start of WWIII
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Nah.  Seems like it might actually be for the best.  Time to start over.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nah.  Seems like it might actually be for the best.  Time to start over.
    The cockroaches will probably build a pretty decent society.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Will it mean I won't have to go back to work? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - Who knows who's gonna start it but I am confident in who's gonna own all the chips when it's over.  Now, what the winnings look like may be a bit of concern but those of us in the "fly over states" should do just fine.  "Ready, fire, aim!"  =)  

Paraphrasing Clausewitz , "War is diplomacy by other means."  I really think the more dialog the less chance and the I'm rooting for the less chance at every turn.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Botch said:
    ^^^ Many of those points have been in work over the last 7, 8 years.  Some of them aren't true at all (#5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20).  
    Cadet Bonespur can take credit for 10, 16 (which is a bad thing), and we'll see about #15.  
    You need to quit watching Faux News, Brietbart, and/or InfoWars.  
    Botch, I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.  Not an insult or an assumption.  I didn't accuse you or anyone else of watching/reading a different propaganda machine of the left.  If lower taxes are a bad (if that is what you meant), I'll take the difference and invest it wisely.  
    ICV, I am a conservative; I am also a registered republican (although I haven't voted for one in years).  When your nation is $19T in debt, you DO NOT give a tax break to everyone, particularly the top 1% who are sucking up 80% of the profits generated by that nation.  
    The US had a higher debt-to-GDP ratio at the end of WWII (not by much, but it was greater).  At that time, the Greatest Generation imposed a 91% tax on the most wealthy, and the guv'mint spent a lot on research, education, and infrastructure.  The result was that everyone advanced in income over the next 4 decades.  The ultra-wealthy do NOT stop investing/making more money if their taxes are high, as the Tea Party used to claim.  
    A couple times previous, I've posted articles/arguments to a list like yours, but its deleted the next morning, and is not worth my time.

Finally, Thank You.  We disagree but you've posted in a civilized manner, and that doesn't happen too often anymore on the 'net.  I appreciate that.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Rough interview by Pres Clinton’s former Chief of Staff (at least during the part when asking about why Comey helped elect Trump).  Your unbiased media at work.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Rough interview by Pres Clinton’s former Chief of Staff (at least during the part when asking about why Comey helped elect Trump).  Your unbiased media at work.  
    I’m not sure anyone is running around claiming unbiased media.  Except maybe the media, but nobody really buys that, do they?  In the end, Comey’s answers are his answers.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    This may come as a news flash to you i guess, but his announcement that the email investigation was being reopened about ten days before the election... didn’t help Hillary.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    You missed my point entirely, John. Maybe you can read it again at half speed.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that you might not be quite as bright as you claim.  Maybe I can put a message together with pictures.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited April 2018
    Options
    thetrim said:
    You missed my point entirely, John. Maybe you can read it again at half speed.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that you might not be quite as bright as you claim.  Maybe I can put a message together with pictures.  
    My apologies.  Making sense of nonsense takes a continuous effort on my part.

I understand you believe George went too hard on Comey with that line of questions,  and that this demonstrates media bias, I just don’t agree with you.  But then I don’t drink from a steady fountain of Hannity or Limbaugh all day long.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Am I the only cheap bastige that is bothered by the fact that this box of soul otherwise cost $35?!  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    caliking said:
    Am I the only cheap bastige that is bothered by the fact that this box of soul otherwise cost $35?!  
    I spent $21.35 on stuff that should have cost $6.87 so I could get free shipping on that stuff plus the $35 box that should have cost $9.49.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    $4.40 a jar (give or take) for spices?  It’s not far off the going rates these days.
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    $4.40 a jar (give or take) for spices?  It’s not far off the going rates these days.
    Not at Indian stores.  But they don’t get rated by Cooks’ Illustrated either. 

• iCurevegans
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    ^^^ Many of those points have been in work over the last 7, 8 years.  Some of them aren't true at all (#5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20).  
    Cadet Bonespur can take credit for 10, 16 (which is a bad thing), and we'll see about #15.  
    You need to quit watching Faux News, Brietbart, and/or InfoWars.  
    Botch, I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.  Not an insult or an assumption.  I didn't accuse you or anyone else of watching/reading a different propaganda machine of the left.  If lower taxes are a bad (if that is what you meant), I'll take the difference and invest it wisely.  
    ICV, I am a conservative; I am also a registered republican (although I haven't voted for one in years).  When your nation is $19T in debt, you DO NOT give a tax break to everyone, particularly the top 1% who are sucking up 80% of the profits generated by that nation.  
    The US had a higher debt-to-GDP ratio at the end of WWII (not by much, but it was greater).  At that time, the Greatest Generation imposed a 91% tax on the most wealthy, and the guv'mint spent a lot on research, education, and infrastructure.  The result was that everyone advanced in income over the next 4 decades.  The ultra-wealthy do NOT stop investing/making more money if their taxes are high, as the Tea Party used to claim.  
    A couple times previous, I've posted articles/arguments to a list like yours, but its deleted the next morning, and is not worth my time.

Finally, Thank You.  We disagree but you've posted in a civilized manner, and that doesn't happen too often anymore on the 'net.  I appreciate that.  
    Much appreciated.  I am not trying to create and argument with my question.  It is a legitimate question and I'm looking for honest answers.  I'm fairly conservative and I felt like I had to ask myself the same question when Obama was President.  

I don't "like" Trump and I hate his tweets, but he is apparently speaking to and reaching a certain part of the population.  I am also confident that the vitriol that is spewed from either side and people on this site because of perception or unmitigated party support is ridiculous and unhealthy.    

As for the taxes and your reply, we will need to see what happens.  Our country is very different than the country immediately post WW2.  I know that I have invested my small increase in pay (ok I also bought a smokeware cap) and I am hardly the 1%.  

"They may look like gentle, fruit-eating monkeys, but I'm pretty convinced one of these things is gonna suddenly land on my head and start humping my earhole with his sharp, furry penis, so I'm little uncomfortable."
    -Anthony Bourdain

Zionsville, IN
    LBGE, MM
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    How do Penzey's compare to the spices at the Indian store?  I find Penzey's to be very good and very consistent.  When I need bulk I buy their large pouches, not little tester jars like this box has.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    @stlcharcoal

see if you can contact @The_Buffalo and get @JohnInCarolina 's
    screen name to @gottagethlastwordin
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    @stlcharcoal

You’re cute.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    missed out on the free spices, same sheet different day. with penzeys new found tax breaks, its no wonder he now has the cash to give away free spice =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    How do Penzey's compare to the spices at the Indian store?  I find Penzey's to be very good and very consistent.  When I need bulk I buy their large pouches, not little tester jars like this box has.
    Dunno. I would drive by 15 Indian stores to get to Penzey's, so I've almost always bought my spices at the Indian store. 

We try to buy whole spices,  and just grind as much as we need for the week's cooking. The pantry stock stays air tight or vac sealed if possible. That has made a significant difference vs. buying large stocks of ground spices and having them go stale.  

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    The spice game is such a racket. I needed peppercorns (usually buy bulk but ran out). At Kroger's the McCormicks was $7.99 or 8.99 for a small jar. I was pissed and looked in the generics, no peppercorns. However, McCormick had a pepper grinder with the same amount as the non-grinder for $4.99.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    billt01 said:
    @stlcharcoal

You’re cute.
    thanks for helping... =)
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    The spice game is such a racket. I needed peppercorns (usually buy bulk but ran out). At Kroger's the McCormicks was $7.99 or 8.99 for a small jar. I was pissed and looked in the generics, no peppercorns. However, McCormick had a pepper grinder with the same amount as the non-grinder for $4.99.
    Costco is your friend. You can get a jar that will last 4-6 months for $6.99

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    I am surprised that this thread hasn’t been trampled by a bison herd yet.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I think the Buffalo got scared off by the snake thread!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Man, you all are really passionate about spices
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I buy these. Love it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001M0Z6Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Yeah, thank god some opinionated a-hole doesn't own a charcoal company....... can you imagine the lump threads then??????    :lol:
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Yeah, thank god some opinionated a-hole doesn't own a charcoal company....... can you imagine the lump threads then??????    :lol:

New Friday night, bourbon soaked, thread on the horizon.......
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky