Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kimchizza

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
Found some real kimchi in the back of an Asian grocer's cooler, ingredient list was perfect.  Kind of like chorizo, the real, good stuff, is not at the chains.

Was going to do a half-and-half, but the boy actually loved the kimchi.  Yes!!!

Pork and kimchi, cool.
Pizza, pork, and kimchi....a party!

Decided to give this a whirl on the BS today.  Learned to ring the kimchi out of liquid before tossing on the pie, stored it on paper towels briefly before assembly, it helped.

Went with Reinhart's Craftsy Class Neapolitan dough using Caputo 00, split into two balls, tomato sauce, mozz, buckboard, fresh pineapple, scallion, kimchi, cracked white pepper.

Didn't time the bake, go by sound on the afterburner, and eased up on the throttle due to the heavy top.  Was 3 min if I had to guess.  

A fun rip tonight after a blessed day of Michigan Rummy with some friends. 

BAM!!!

Paired well with one of my favorites.

As per usual, went heavy handed on the toppings, but the dough stands up to it.

Thanks fer lookin'.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great friggin idea.  Love legit kimchi .
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Looks awesome and I share your love of kimchi. 

Never thought of it on a pizza. 

Have several Korean suppliers and after the main meal, they taught me to grill the kimchi on the table top grill. Gives a nice additive flavor. 

Might work for drying it out too. But sounds like your method worked fine. 

Got me thinking I need to try this one- maybe a little bulgogi to add some sweetness. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What kind of rolling pin did you use?
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Kimchi is also an excellent DIY, if you are into bugs.  Fermented veg is fun, though with kimchi, you run the risk of getting kicked out of the house if you don’t manage odors carefully (one of my buddies keeps a “kimchi fridge”)

Great looking pie. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Focker
    bgebrent said:
    Great friggin idea.  Love legit kimchi .
    Thanks bud, me too. 
    And it's a gut healthy pizza.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Nice dude! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    Wolfpack said:
    Looks awesome and I share your love of kimchi. 

Never thought of it on a pizza. 

Have several Korean suppliers and after the main meal, they taught me to grill the kimchi on the table top grill. Gives a nice additive flavor. 

Might work for drying it out too. But sounds like your method worked fine. 

Got me thinking I need to try this one- maybe a little bulgogi to add some sweetness. 
    Thank you.
    Wringing it out is critical on pizza.

Bulgogi would be awesome.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    What kind of rolling pin did you use?
    Joe Mom's.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Drooling.  Srsly.  That's the kimshizzle peezizzle.
    Lol......For shizzle. (David Chappelle's Tiger Woods' voice)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Years ago I had an employee who was stationed in Korea for 8 years and he came home with a Korean bride who used to make Kimchi for gifts at Christmas time. Talk about looking forward to unwrapping presents!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    20stone said:
    Kimchi is also an excellent DIY, if you are into bugs.  Fermented veg is fun, though with kimchi, you run the risk of getting kicked out of the house if you don’t manage odors carefully (one of my buddies keeps a “kimchi fridge”)

Great looking pie. 
    Thanks 20stone.  
    I may play around with it at some point, but the odor may be the dealbreaker.  And I can go 5 minutes down the road to get a large jar for 9 bucks.  Hard to pass on that. Making your own would be fun though.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Tasty looking pie!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    RRP said:
    Years ago I had an employee who was stationed in Korea for 8 years and he came home with a Korean bride who used to make Kimchi for gifts at Christmas time. Talk about looking forward to unwrapping presents!!!
    What a great Christmas gift!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    edited April 2018
    I'm not a fan of other cultures' classics put on pizzas (taco, hawaiian, bbq, swiss chocolate, lutefisk, etc) but I'd try kimchee, something just sounds right! And, you've got me wondering what hot/grilled/smoked kimchee on its own tastes like.  Hmmm...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Focker
    Hans61 said:
    Nice dude! 
    Thanks bud.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2018
    Botch said:
    I'm not a fan of other cultures' classics put on pizzas (taco, hawaiian, bbq, swiss chocolate, lutefisk, etc) but I'd try kimchee, something just sounds right! And, you've got me wondering what hot/grilled/smoked kimchee on its own tastes like.  Hmmm...
    This was inspired by a local joint that makes a Canadian bacon, pineapple, saurkraut pizza that's really good.  Thought Kimchi would kick it up a notch.  (Another shameless Emeril plug, who was also an inspiration, when I first started cooking my own meals.)

Kimchi actually works here.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Now that is a great audible right there.  @Focker I don't know your history but for someone in the mid-west to cruise into kimchi much less such a great adaptation indicates a prior appreciation.  Great outcome with that cook BTW.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    WeberWho said:
    Tasty looking pie!
    Thanks V, flavor bombs with each bite.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Focker
    I would of gave this the Double Seal if you cooked more than one. What the heck, it’s my last night home. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    lousubcap said:
    Now that is a great audible right there.  @Focker I don't know your history but for someone in the mid-west to cruise into kimchi much less such a great adaptation indicates a prior appreciation.  Great outcome with that cook BTW.  
    Thanks much Cap.
    Have never been to Korea, or dined at a legitimate, authentic restaurant, but I felt this Asian store was the only place around that may have the good stuff, real ingredients.  I went down every aisle, and finally found it.  They have some great hard to find Jamaican products too.

The other kimchi I've tried at the regional chain, was more vinegary, if that's a word.  Lol
    Tasted like a saurkraut marinaded in sriracha.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Up front apology for a thread hi-jack but here you are:
    @SGH I wish you a safe trip to your latest off-shore gig.  Hopefully not nearly as long as your last one.  Truck and fryer will be waiting, never mind the rest of your toys.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Very nice. There are some great flavors happening in there. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    SGH said:
    @Focker
    I would of gave this the Double Seal if you cooked more than one. What the heck, it’s my last night home. 

An honor brother, thank you.  To make it worthy, I will cook another with the last doughball and post it here, tomorrow. 
    Safe travels.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Focker said:
    Safe travels.
    Thank you brother. I hope that this is the last time that I ever step on a ship or platform again. I have learned to never say never though. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    SciAggie said:
    Very nice. There are some great flavors happening in there. 
    Thanks Sci, it was intense. Lol
    Floated the kimchi to get the brunt of the heat, as it charred a little during the bake.  But putting it under, in the sauce, would work too.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    SGH said:
    Focker said:
    Safe travels.
    Thank you brother. I hope that this is the last time that I ever step on a ship or platform again. I have learned to never say never though. 
    I hope so too, Godspeed.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Three words for another (easy) venture.

kimchi fried rice. 

Its the sh!t. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    edited April 2018
    caliking said:
    Three words for another (easy) venture.

kimchi fried rice. 

Its the sh!t. 
    How bout,
    Kimchi in everything.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Looks awesome! 

@The_Stache gave me some kimchi last fall and I did a pizza with kimchi and asian pork belly.

It's in my favorite top 3 now. I would have never thought of it. The kids liked it too.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN