Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Free $34.95 Penzey's Spice Box

Options

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    caliking said:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/ceo-who-called-trump-racist-penzeys-spice-mix

Maybe hevknows what he's doing. Read the part where after his post-election email tirade, they lost 3% of customers, but online sales increased 60%, and gift box purchases doubled. 

Could be fake news. Could be slick marketing .
    Whatever.....privately held company, you can make up whatever you want.  I can say my sales went up 1000% after yesterday's post for that "period".  I can define that period as whenever, comparing it to whenever.  Maybe it was the weekend after that email and it hit all the blogs.  He was pretty active with the promo's and free stuff around then.

Their store sales would be the interesting one to see--as a lot of their stores sit in affluent areas.  We have two in St. Louis and one sits in a ZIP code that voted 70% Trump.  Honestly, I'm surprised it's still there.

One thing all of us BBQ & cooking companies have to look out for with millennials is that a good portion don't cook--they eat out.  And especially for BGE, us, etc, when they do want to learn to cook, they're going with pellet smokers because it's just a knob to turn.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Interesting bit on CBS just now about Mike Lindell of MyPillow.

There is something to say, about business peeps who aren't afraid to say what they want to say, and stand up for what they truly believe in.  

Like Jim said, it's one man's opinion.  Even if it differs from mine, they get the utmost respect for the strength and lack of fear.

Y'all butthurt so easy. Lol

Pulseless peeps, zombies wandering aimlessly, are the ones that truly annoy.

Now Make America Great Again and buy two MyPeelows.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Damn Millenials

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • ROlin
    ROlin Posts: 25
    Options
    Good for Penzeys. Glad to see someone speak the truth. Will continue to buy more of their products. Because Trump is a narcissus, Nazis loving Republican ****! Obama is a man of class. Trump a man with a big fat white golfing ass. Love it Penzeys, keep up the good work! 
    p.s. Jealous Devil the best lump out there. 
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Because of certain people on this site this forum has turned to sh!t . Keep your political crap to yourself .
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    For the record, when it comes to ChikFilA it's NOT POLITICAL, it's RELIGIOUS.  And for all the folks that scream "free speech" like they do, it's highly hypocritical.  Their corporation never made a statement supporting or disapproving of anything when it came to marriage.  The whole thing sparked from some donations and from a Baptist convention where a Cathy family member was speaking......and he just said they stood with their religions doctrine or something of that nature.  Then the haters ran wild with that, despite the fact that ChikFilA employs gays, gives them benefits like health insurance, EAP, tuition assistance, etc.

Yeah.  Here are Dan Cathy's own words:

“we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. And I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude that thinks we have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about.”

He then followed up when there was backlash over this that he was very supportive of the family unit, provided it was the "the biblical definition of the family unit."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-leadership/post/chick-fil-a-president-dan-cathy-bites-into-gay-marriage-debate/2012/07/19/gJQACrvzvW_blog.html?utm_term=.5e11dabf2f3f

Comments around marriage are BOTH political and religious.  You can't really separate the two in the US, due to the benefits that the government gives to "married" couples.   Believing otherwise is just naive.  Even in that quote above, he's talking about the nation being judged, not the followers of his own religion.  

And there's nothing hypocritical over criticizing speech like this.  Free speech rights don't give you freedom from consequences in the public square.  Nobody's saying that the government should take away Cathy's rights to speak here.  On the contrary, it's actually quite useful when bigots expose themselves.  

As for the Sunday thing, no problem there in my view.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Bill is a flake. It makes me sad because I've been a customer for years. I never thought insulting your marketplace was a smart move. I guess he only wants to sell to the left. Good luck with that.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I’m mad as hell at CF. They dropped their carrot raisin salad. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited April 2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    What type of lunatic would boycott Chick-fil-A?? 
    Agree 100%. They are a good, God fearing, Christian corporation that stands up for what is morally right. 
    Yeah. Unless you’re gay.
    They could care less if you're gay. They have never come out as anti gay. They came out as pro traditional marriage. It was the gay mafia that immediately pounced with the whole "you're either with us or against us" BS. I have no time for that crap.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • iCurevegans
    Options
    EHF Community - 

I fully respect the various views and political leanings of everyone. 

I'd love for someone to describe something the President has actually DONE to me, you, or any American Citizen that has hurt them.  

No hurt feelings, emotions, or judgements - - I am looking for undeniable actions that have caused harm.    

Here is a list of accomplishments that likely helped me, you and every other American Citizen.  

1.    2.2 million new jobs created

2.    86 stock market highs

3.    4.1% unemployment – lowest in 17 years

4.    Economic growth has reached 3.3% this year

5.    $5 trillion in economic growth in 2017

6.    Consumer confidence at 17 year high

7.    African American home ownership highest ever

8.    Hundreds of job killing regulations repealed

9.    Border Patrol arrests at a 45 year low

10. NATO countries contributing more to defense

11. 16,000 manufacturing jobs added per month

12. Bad trade deals canceled

13. Respect for America around the world heightened (we have a backbone again)

14. ISIS decimated and driven out of Iraq

15. China cooperating with the US on North Korea sanctions

16. Taxes lowered for businesses and individuals

17. Military strengthened and rebuilt

18. Veterans protected from unaccountable workers

19. Cabinet members picked with real world experience

20. 80 bill signed – more than any president in 1st year

"They may look like gentle, fruit-eating monkeys, but I'm pretty convinced one of these things is gonna suddenly land on my head and start humping my earhole with his sharp, furry penis, so I'm little uncomfortable."
    -Anthony Bourdain

Zionsville, IN
    LBGE, MM
  • johnnyp
    Options
    With the Chick-Fil-a cows....Do you think their right brisket or left brisket is more tender?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Teefus said:
    SGH said:
    Agree 100%. They are a good, God fearing, Christian corporation that stands up for what is morally right. 
    Yeah. Unless you’re gay.
    They could care less if you're gay. They have never come out as anti gay. They came out as pro traditional marriage. It was the gay mafia that immediately pounced with the whole "you're either with us or against us" BS. I have no time for that crap.
    “I’m not anti-gay, I’m just pro-anti-gay marriage!  Yeah... that’s it, that’s the ticket!”

• johnnyp
    Options
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    For the record, when it comes to ChikFilA it's NOT POLITICAL, it's RELIGIOUS.  And for all the folks that scream "free speech" like they do, it's highly hypocritical.  Their corporation never made a statement supporting or disapproving of anything when it came to marriage.  The whole thing sparked from some donations and from a Baptist convention where a Cathy family member was speaking......and he just said they stood with their religions doctrine or something of that nature.  Then the haters ran wild with that, despite the fact that ChikFilA employs gays, gives them benefits like health insurance, EAP, tuition assistance, etc.

“we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. And I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude that thinks we have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about.”

He then followed up when there was backlash over this that he was very supportive of the family unit, provided it was the "the biblical definition of the family unit."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-leadership/post/chick-fil-a-president-dan-cathy-bites-into-gay-marriage-debate/2012/07/19/gJQACrvzvW_blog.html?utm_term=.5e11dabf2f3f

Comments around marriage are BOTH political and religious.  You can't really separate the two in the US, due to the benefits that the government gives to "married" couples.   Believing otherwise is just naive.  Even in that quote above, he's talking about the nation being judged, not the followers of his own religion.  

And there's nothing hypocritical over criticizing speech like this.  Free speech rights don't give you freedom from consequences in the public square.  Nobody's saying that the government should take away Cathy's rights to speak here.  On the contrary, it's actually quite useful when bigots expose themselves.  

Depends on how the person wants to define "marriage".  For my religion, "marriage" is a sacrament first and foremost, then the government also has a definition of it.  Gotta take those statements understand the doctrine of that person's religion...........and in that setting--a Baptist convention--he was speaking to or on behalf of the Baptists.

Yes his statement could be inflammatory, but again, look where he was.  He would have gotten boo'd off the stage if he said anything else.  And he wasn't saying it on behalf of the corporation, he was saying it on his behalf.  He didn't say it at a CFA convention, at a restaurant, or anything else.  If his last name wasn't Cathy, no one would have ever heard or cared outside of that convention.  It's not like Bill who uses the company catalog and email system as his political pulpit.

In any case, there are thousands of people that work for that corporation and their franchises who probably don't agree with that statement.  They rely on that job to feed their family, pay for school, and pay for their health insurance.  So, boycotting the company just hurts them.

It doesn't hurt the Cathy family either.  In fact, I remember the day when the BUYcott happened--it was about 5 1/2 years ago and I was driving my wife to the hospital as she was in labor with our 3rd child.  The line into the CFA next to the hospital was backed up around the parking lot, out onto the street, and down at least a block.  The cops were out directing traffic and luckily we made it through all the traffic in time!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    ROlin said:
    Good for Penzeys. Glad to see someone speak the truth. Will continue to buy more of their products. Because Trump is a narcissus, Nazis loving Republican ****! Obama is a man of class. Trump a man with a big fat white golfing ass. Love it Penzeys, keep up the good work! 
    p.s. Jealous Devil the best lump out there. 
    Did you
    lose your password to your Sherryjames account?  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Foaming at the mouth liberals are all over the map with their outrage as they immediately see fit. Come off like a bunch of mocking televangelists worshiping at the Temple of Global Warming... The Self-appointed Police of Politically Correct Speech,,, Et al.

...Rage yesterday at the travel ban meant to stem the migration of Islamic extremists that would have no qualms at doing members of the LGBTQ community bodily harm.

...Rage today at CFA because the founders Christian disapproval of gay marriage, and how simply holding such a belief offends the LGBTQ community.

Stay tuned for what tomorrows rage will be!

Unless, of course, you may have productive things to do.

If I could have gotten the free box without paying anything, I would have taken it, then dropped it off at the Food Bank.
    Gittin' there...
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Depends on how the person wants to define "marriage".  For my religion, "marriage" is a sacrament first and foremost, then the government also has a definition of it.  Gotta take those statements understand the doctrine of that person's religion...........and in that setting--a Baptist convention--he was speaking to or on behalf of the Baptists.

Yes his statement could be inflammatory, but again, look where he was.  He would have gotten boo'd off the stage if he said anything else.  And he wasn't saying it on behalf of the corporation, he was saying it on his behalf.  He didn't say it at a CFA convention, at a restaurant, or anything else.  If his last name wasn't Cathy, no one would have ever heard or cared outside of that convention.  It's not like Bill who uses the company catalog and email system as his political pulpit.

The comments I quoted were made on a radio show.  And he referred to the nation being judged.  Given that he’s the CEO of the company, they were pretty stupid comments to make.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:

It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve
    On the other hand, Jesus had two dads.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Foaming at the mouth liberals are all over the map with their outrage as they immediately see fit. Come off like a bunch of mocking televangelists worshiping at the Temple of Global Warming... The Self-appointed Police of Politically Correct Speech,,, Et al.

...Rage yesterday at the travel ban meant to stem the migration of Islamic extremists that would have no qualms at doing members of the LGBTQ community bodily harm.

...Rage today at CFA because the founders Christian disapproval of gay marriage, and how simply holding such a belief offends the LGBTQ community.

Stay tuned for what tomorrows rage will be!

Unless, of course, you may have productive things to do.

If I could have gotten the free box without paying anything, I would have taken it, then dropped it off at the Food Bank.
    If you bother to read the posts it’s pretty clear who have been triggered. And it’s not the libs. Additionally you are the only one that appears to be foaming at the mouth. We should all pray for you. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Teefus said:
    SGH said:
    Yeah. Unless you’re gay.
    We don’t hate you, we just don’t want you to have the legal rights that the government grants to married people.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    What Penzey is doing may be increasing sales, I don't know. The My Pillow guy says his comments are not hurting him. Years ago someone sent me a pic of a State Farm agent's sign in Mandeville, Louisiana. On top of the State Farm sign was another sign that said "A taxpayer voting for Obama is like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders." Supposedly, business increased. Of course, stating your opinion did not work out so well for The Dixie Chicks.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    People triggered.

Mission Accomplished.

PS - Hope everyone got their free spice box.

Carry on!
    Options
    Got my free box and a few more. Thx 
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Spices are free, right?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, hard to turn down free anything, regardless of if I do or don't agree with someone.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • iCurevegans
    Options
    For Mr. Penzy Spice and anyone else I will post this again in the form of a question:

What has the President actually DONE to me, you, or any American Citizen that has hurt them?  

No hurt feelings, emotions, or judgements - - I am looking for undeniable actions that have caused harm.  

Rolin called him a Nazi lover.  Where is the evidence of that?  Not what you think you know, but please provide evidence.  He has called them despicable on numerous occasions.  While I do not like the guy, he is not a nazi lover.  Come on.  Is he anyone I would want to associate with?  Nope.  Is he doing his job?  Yep.

Again, here is a list of accomplishments that likely helped me, you and every other American Citizen.  If a democratic president had done any of this, people would be dancing in the streets. 

1.    2.2 million new jobs created

2.    86 stock market highs

3.    4.1% unemployment – lowest in 17 years

4.    Economic growth has reached 3.3% this year

5.    $5 trillion in economic growth in 2017

6.    Consumer confidence at 17 year high

7.    African American home ownership highest ever

8.    Hundreds of job killing regulations repealed

9.    Border Patrol arrests at a 45 year low

10. NATO countries contributing more to defense

11. 16,000 manufacturing jobs added per month

12. Bad trade deals canceled

13. Respect for America around the world heightened (we have a backbone again)

14. ISIS decimated and driven out of Iraq

15. China cooperating with the US on North Korea sanctions

16. Taxes lowered for businesses and individuals

17. Military strengthened and rebuilt

18. Veterans protected from unaccountable workers

19. Cabinet members picked with real world experience

20. 80 bills signed – more than any president in 1st year

I am waiting for an answer to the question.  

"They may look like gentle, fruit-eating monkeys, but I'm pretty convinced one of these things is gonna suddenly land on my head and start humping my earhole with his sharp, furry penis, so I'm little uncomfortable."
    -Anthony Bourdain

Zionsville, IN
    LBGE, MM
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I started at the bottom and was going to work upwards. No need. He has signed LESS than any other President. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/dec/29/donald-trump/has-donald-trump-signed-more-bills-anyone-no/