Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you like them?

Options
Always hear good BBQ doesn't need sauce.  Always thought that was a crazy comment, BBQ needs a good sauce.  Decided I needed some spare ribs today.  I like them with sauce added about the last 10- 15 mins of the cook.  Wife likes them without sauce with just a dry rub.  So, I did 2 racks with sauce and 2 without sauce.  Used Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust and peach wood for smoke.  I found myself eating more of the no sauced ribs then those with sauce.  The peach smoke and Dizzy Dust made for an incredible flavor with the ribs.  They were really good. Wife came home from work and went straight to the no sauce ribs.  She looked at me, like a fat girl at an all you can eat BBQ, and said "OMG..these are so friggin good!"  I may have to re-think having to have sauce.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I’m a big fan of no sauce ribs, if cooked with a good rub. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Depends on the day for me.  I generally don't use sauce during the cook
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love it.  Great cook.  Great ribs do not require sauce.  And, nothing against saucing ribs.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I always say - "they are your ribs so it makes no difference how I like them!"

BUT since you asked - I prefer to cook and serve them w/o being sauced, but having cups of sauce on the side for those who prefer sauce.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    jabam said:
    I’m a big fan of no sauce ribs, if cooked with a good rub. 
    My wife prefers dry ribs. I first cooked them for her around 1985, she had never tried them without sauce up to that point. Now it’s how she prefers them. 
    Me, I like them either way. Good is good. That may just be the slob in me speaking though.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Congrats on running the side-by-side.  Sauce on the side for me unless I know someone in attendance "needs" a carmelized few ribs.  As you note, two keys-nailing the cook and quality of the dry rub.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have always liked a thin glaze 30 min left to set up, kind of rounds pork out.  No problems eating Memphis dry ribs with a quality rub.  The TX peppery pork ribs would be hard to swallow.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I tend to go w. dry, and a bit of sauce on the side. I never had ribs that weren't sauced till I was almost 40. The ones I had then were exceptional, and it completely changed how I thought about ribs. Now, almost another 40 years along, I'm starting to rethink. I'm beginning to think the quality of most sauce is rather mediocre. That's why I keep the sauce on the side, as something that just bumps up the flavor, or contrasts w. what is in the rub. Nothing that sits on the flavor of the meat and rub.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I like them all.  But I have a slight preference for ribs that get a thin glaze toward the end.  If I was at your table I'd eat whatever most people aren't eating - so I wouldn't have to feel guilty about eating a whole rack or more...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I like dry ribs with sauce on the side. Some bites get some sauce some dont
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I cook for myself, and sauce half the ribs; like 'em both.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.