Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How do you like them?

Always hear good BBQ doesn't need sauce.  Always thought that was a crazy comment, BBQ needs a good sauce.  Decided I needed some spare ribs today.  I like them with sauce added about the last 10- 15 mins of the cook.  Wife likes them without sauce with just a dry rub.  So, I did 2 racks with sauce and 2 without sauce.  Used Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust and peach wood for smoke.  I found myself eating more of the no sauced ribs then those with sauce.  The peach smoke and Dizzy Dust made for an incredible flavor with the ribs.  They were really good. Wife came home from work and went straight to the no sauce ribs.  She looked at me, like a fat girl at an all you can eat BBQ, and said "OMG..these are so friggin good!"  I may have to re-think having to have sauce.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• jabamjabam Posts: 1,784
    I’m a big fan of no sauce ribs, if cooked with a good rub. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • ElkhornHuskerElkhornHusker Posts: 385
    Depends on the day for me.  I generally don't use sauce during the cook
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone 
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,481
    Love it.  Great cook.  Great ribs do not require sauce.  And, nothing against saucing ribs.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,471
    I always say - "they are your ribs so it makes no difference how I like them!"

BUT since you asked - I prefer to cook and serve them w/o being sauced, but having cups of sauce on the side for those who prefer sauce.
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • SGHSGH Posts: 25,200
    jabam said:
    I’m a big fan of no sauce ribs, if cooked with a good rub. 
    My wife prefers dry ribs. I first cooked them for her around 1985, she had never tried them without sauce up to that point. Now it’s how she prefers them. 
    Me, I like them either way. Good is good. That may just be the slob in me speaking though.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,991
    Congrats on running the side-by-side.  Sauce on the side for me unless I know someone in attendance "needs" a carmelized few ribs.  As you note, two keys-nailing the cook and quality of the dry rub.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • FockerFocker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 15
    I have always liked a thin glaze 30 min left to set up, kind of rounds pork out.  No problems eating Memphis dry ribs with a quality rub.  The TX peppery pork ribs would be hard to swallow.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 6,085
    I tend to go w. dry, and a bit of sauce on the side. I never had ribs that weren't sauced till I was almost 40. The ones I had then were exceptional, and it completely changed how I thought about ribs. Now, almost another 40 years along, I'm starting to rethink. I'm beginning to think the quality of most sauce is rather mediocre. That's why I keep the sauce on the side, as something that just bumps up the flavor, or contrasts w. what is in the rub. Nothing that sits on the flavor of the meat and rub.
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,856
    edited April 15
    I like them all.  But I have a slight preference for ribs that get a thin glaze toward the end.  If I was at your table I'd eat whatever most people aren't eating - so I wouldn't have to feel guilty about eating a whole rack or more...

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,913
    I like dry ribs with sauce on the side. Some bites get some sauce some dont
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, 2 UDS, Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, BlueStar 60" Range, Bluestar Salamander
  • BotchBotch Posts: 6,895
    I cook for myself, and sauce half the ribs; like 'em both.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.