Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Instant Canopy Recommendations?

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
Hi I'm looking for an easy up type of canopy for an occasional bbq competition or cook over night. I had a 12x12 EZ-Up canopy which seemed to work descent but was rushed when put away in the rain. It ended up breaking and snapping a few poles. I'm not opposed to buying EZ-Up again but was wondering if there are some other brand name canopy you guys recommend? I'm hoping to get another 12'×12' canopy. Straight legged is preferred. Really hoping for something under $150. It will be used sparingly. Thanks for any help or tips!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I know there are some commercial grade ones out there that hold up much better.  I'm sure of the prices.  I know we have a lot of high quality folks on here than can help with assembly instructions.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    thetrim said:
    I know there are some commercial grade ones out there that hold up much better.  I'm sure of the prices.  I know we have a lot of high quality folks on here than can help with assembly instructions.
    Thanks thetrim. I wish I had disposable income as I'm sure the pricier canopies are much nicer quality than the ones under a few hundred bucks. I don't see it being used more than 5-6 times a year. I'd love a commercial canopy but unfortunately it's not in the cards. Maybe once I hit that lottery!  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited April 2018
    Spend a little extra and you will be very pleased, we have a 1212with 4 serving windows, can be totally enclosed or the exterior rolled down just leaving the mesh...I think I gave a little under 4 for it . goes up and down and stores easy

Solid zippers. Heavy duty velcro

I'm doing a rib Cook off Saturday I will post up some pictures

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    lkapigian said:
    Spend a little extra and you will be very pleased, we have a 1212with 4 serving windows, can be totally enclosed or the exterior rolled down just leaving the mesh...I think I gave a little under 4 for it . goes up and down and stores easy

Solid zippers. Heavy duty velcro

I'm doing a rib Cook off Saturday I will post up some pictures

Thanks lkapigian. Unfortunately I'm going to be capped off around $150 mark. I might have to find the best of the crappiest canopies. I don't do any serious bbq competitions. More or less for the fun of it and drinking a few beers. I usually have family and friends stop by during it. I had 12'×12' or maybe it was a 14'×14'. It worked out good for family and friends. 10'×10' would be a little tight. 

I hear you loud and clear though about the quality. I wish I could swing 4 bills for a canopy. I probably wouldn't be buying a second canopy if I did the first go around. I appreciate the offer and suggestion though!

Minnesota
  • I have used a friend's Coleman before.  Some nice features.  Seems at least as durable as the EZ Up brand.  I believe it was a Target purchase.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    edited April 2018
    I recently bought a 10x10 one from a company called Core Equipment to use for camping. I have put it up a couple of times. It seems well built and hopefully will be durable. Sorry, can't vouch for their bigger canopy. They do offer a 13x13 but it is a different design and a bit over your $150 limit.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I've bought a few of whichever brand costco sells.  When they've broken, it was operator error.  Not super heavy duty, but i think they are close to your price target.
    Phoenix 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I like the Coleman. I have a 10x10 and it is easy to take down and put up.
    Check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Instant-Beach-Canopy-Feet/dp/B00339C3EG

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2018
    I don't think this is what you are really looking for....but might be worth a look.

https://tailgatermagazine.com/gear/kijaro-exo-shade
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited April 2018
    WeberWho said:
    Hi I'm looking for an easy up type of canopy for an occasional bbq competition or cook over night. I had a 12x12 EZ-Up canopy which seemed to work descent but was rushed when put away in the rain. It ended up breaking and snapping a few poles. I'm not opposed to buying EZ-Up again but was wondering if there are some other brand name canopy you guys recommend? I'm hoping to get another 12'×12' canopy. Straight legged is preferred. Really hoping for something under $150. It will be used sparingly. Thanks for any help or tips!
    If you have a costco, go there. They have a very stout 12x12, that when purchased through costco, basically gives it a lifetime guarantee. I think it is a coleman. We have one and it is solid.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I agree with Ron. That's where I bought mine years ago.
    Maybe you can find one with UT Longhorns like mine!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Hotch said:
    I agree with Ron. That's where I bought mine years ago.
    Maybe you can find one with UT Longhorns like mine!

Beautiful Patio Hotch...
    Forecasting some cool weather for Athens next weekend but it will probably change again in a couple days.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    This is the brand I have, very stable:

https://www.caravancanopy.com/

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • WeberWho
    Thank you guys for all of the recommendations. Much appreciated! 

The 13×13 Coleman from Costco looks tempting. Reviews look promising. I also like the opening on top. I just hope it's not too big. Definitely will check it out though 

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    Can you use an open canopy for competition? We have to be enclosed 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    lkapigian said:
    Wow. Why is that? I only do a couple small competitions a year. Nothing sanctioned

Minnesota
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    @lkapigian,

Can you post the manufacturer of the enclosed tent that you have. I have a 10x20 Shelter Logic we use for vending, but after the windstorm at yesterday’s event I’m looking for something enclosed.

Thanks. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    edited April 2018
    WeberWho said:
    lkapigian said:
    Wow. Why is that? I only do a couple small competitions a year. Nothing sanctioned
    Health department, that's why we finally got enclosed, glad I did especially for not so favorable weather...ours looks like this but the sides can be breathable as shown or solid.,.we have 2 sides with serving windows and 2 solid...I checked, we paid 500.00 ( thought it was less) @CTMike Canopy Plus off of EBay and they were great 10x10...( thought it was 1212)

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Thank you. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    After having mine replaced by friends who borrowed it 3x, having it blow away on me 3 more I just gave up and buy the cheapest one I can find at Academy.  Strangely this one has lasted longer than any other.

I dont use mine as often as we used to- got tired of needing a wagon to haul chairs and tent to every soccer game.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lkapigian
    @CTMike Impact Canopy was the vendor, had to look through some old records 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    YukonRon said:
    WeberWho said:
    If you have a costco, go there. They have a very stout 12x12, that when purchased through costco, basically gives it a lifetime guarantee. I think it is a coleman. We have one and it is solid.
    I have that one.  Very nice.
    If you haven't tossed your old one, the manufacturer likely sells parts to repair. I was given one because it "broke", and my buddy bought a new one. The parts to fix it were about $25! 
    Caravan brand, very nice, but prob out of your budget. Altho, prob not many things where the difference in price nets you more improvement in quality..
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2018
    We have a Quick Shade Summit like the one in the attached link.  Bought it 4 years ago.  It lives in my Suburban most of he year for travel softball and beach trips.  It's been awesome.  The top venting alleviates stress on windy days.  The only downside has been the storage bag zipper broke a year ago but hasn't affected performance or transport.
    One trick we've found is to keep the canopy on the frame once attached - makes tear down quick and easy.  
    https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_521455_-1?gclid=CjwKCAjwwbHWBRBWEiwAMIV7E6-UvjWL1WnpmBta30rMvkJYRea0xVaQLeHxn-mqQcr7PGEjlRjsORoC0H4QAvD_BwE

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lkapigian
    Here it is, can be enclosed or vented

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    gmbbs said:
    If you haven't tossed your old one, the manufacturer likely sells parts to repair. I was given one because it "broke", and my buddy bought a new one. The parts to fix it were about $25! 
    Caravan brand, very nice, but prob out of your budget. Altho, prob not many things where the difference in price nets you more improvement in quality..
    Thanks guys for the info, suggestions, links, and pics!

Thanks gmbbs for the tip. I had an oddball EZ-UP canopy that they discontinued. I wasn't able to locate any replacement parts on the bent/cracked pieces on that particular canopy. I did look before tossing it. 

Minnesota
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @lkapigian dude that's a sweet setup. Can we see some more pics of the smoker? Looks like some sort of Santa Maria mixture?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lkapigian
    Thanks @Jeremiah , here is some before I cleaned it up http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196238/klose-pit-another-craigslist-steal#latest

It is Santa Maria Style huge vault smoker/ warming over,...huge burner on the front water storage , SS Sink, gray water storage below..I can load wood in one pit and draw through the other like an offset...no money exchanged hands, best deal ever 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @lkapigian that's really nice. I don't know how I missed the original post. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lkapigian
    View from the inside of the canopy 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian