Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Instant Canopy Recommendations?

Options
2»

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Thanks guys. I picked up a 13x13 Coleman canopy from Costco. I couldn't find it cheaper elsewhere. Plus it was an additional $20 off sale that expires tonight. So I went with it. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Hi I'm looking for an easy up type of canopy for an occasional bbq competition or cook over night. I had a 12x12 EZ-Up canopy which seemed to work descent but was rushed when put away in the rain. It ended up breaking and snapping a few poles. I'm not opposed to buying EZ-Up again but was wondering if there are some other brand name canopy you guys recommend? I'm hoping to get another 12'×12' canopy. Straight legged is preferred. Really hoping for something under $150. It will be used sparingly. Thanks for any help or tips!
    Hey, buddy ..any chance you would be willing to drive down to Pete's Eggfest in Sterling, IL on Sat, June 16th? I have a 10x10 (or maybe it is 12x12). Trust me the price will be right. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I got a cheepie for my one-and-only BBQ competition a couple years ago, was $100 but I've since seen it on sale for as low as $59.  
    I see you've made your purchase.  One thing you should consider is a couple of anchor points, many use a 5-gal pail filled with water, strapped to two or more legs.  Mine was unanchored during the competition, and I got a queazy feeling with a few of the breezes that came through.  A cinder block or two would work as well, although I'd worry about the 70-mph winds that rip thru utard on occasion....   :o

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Botch said:
    I got a cheepie for my one-and-only BBQ competition a couple years ago, was $100 but I've since seen it on sale for as low as $59.  
    I see you've made your purchase.  One thing you should consider is a couple of anchor points, many use a 5-gal pail filled with water, strapped to two or more legs.  Mine was unanchored during the competition, and I got a queazy feeling with a few of the breezes that came through.  A cinder block or two would work as well, although I'd worry about the 70-mph winds that rip thru utard on occasion....   :o
    I hear you. After doing the water bucket route and never finding a water source I went with 4  cinder blocks on sale for .88 a piece. Even that old crap became a p.i.t.a.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    We got some small buckets and filled them with mixed concrete. We stuck a bolt in the center. Put them under the legs, bolt sticking up thru the hole in bottom of the legs and add / thigh ten a nut. Raises the tent a bit and want budge in high winds. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    Options
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:
    Hi I'm looking for an easy up type of canopy for an occasional bbq competition or cook over night. I had a 12x12 EZ-Up canopy which seemed to work descent but was rushed when put away in the rain. It ended up breaking and snapping a few poles. I'm not opposed to buying EZ-Up again but was wondering if there are some other brand name canopy you guys recommend? I'm hoping to get another 12'×12' canopy. Straight legged is preferred. Really hoping for something under $150. It will be used sparingly. Thanks for any help or tips!
    Hey, buddy ..any chance you would be willing to drive down to Pete's Eggfest in Sterling, IL on Sat, June 16th? I have a 10x10 (or maybe it is 12x12). Trust me the price will be right. 

I appreciate the offer RRP. It sounds like a fun time. Unfortunately it's the same weekend as the annual Turkey BBQ Festival in ND. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks for suggesting the anchors Botch and NorthGAcock. I've looked at making some in the past but never got around to it. I know I've needed them a few times. Definitely will make or buy something for this canopy. Even my wife mentioned it after buying it that we need to find some anchors for this one. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    My first impression with the Coleman is good. Setting up was a breeze. Not bad for a couple guys not knowing what they were doing. 

I went with your guys suggestions and made a couple weight sets for my friend and I. Maybe a little overkill but the canopies are anchored nontheless. The top of the canopy can be strapped down to the weights if the weather gets severe. 

Minnesota
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Weights are not overkill.  They are a necessity. I once had set up my canopy on a nice sunny day to provide shade while egging.  I ran an errand and when I got back my canopy was gone. Looked around the yard and didn’t see it anywhere. Couldn’t understand why anyone would steal it but you never know.  Then looked up to see the canopy on the roof of my house.  Wouldn’t ever set it up again without weights.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• WeberWho
    Options
    Weights are not overkill.  They are a necessity. I once had set up my canopy on a nice sunny day to provide shade while egging.  I ran an errand and when I got back my canopy was gone. Looked around the yard and didn’t see it anywhere. Couldn’t understand why anyone would steal it but you never know.  Then looked up to see the canopy on the roof of my house.  Wouldn’t ever set it up again without weights.
    Oh that's crazy! That was some strong wind.

They'll come in handy.  Especially when the canopy is setup in a parking lot. I looked at purchasing some round weights that were made for canopies. They were only 6lb a piece though. Which might be suitable but these homemade ones got to be around 25lbs. If I pair them up with some straps it should put up a fight with a storm 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    We had 36 people under two canopies at one point when raining yesterday at the park. That was also with a picnic table in each and chairs. I should have charged everyone a $1/piece!  ;)  

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    We had 36 people under two canopies at one point when raining yesterday at the park. That was also with a picnic table in each and chairs. I should have charged everyone a $1/piece!  ;)  
    They are quite popular in the rain or sweltering sun
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:
    They are quite popular in the rain or sweltering sun
    They were appreciative and we had plenty of room. A quick way to meet complete strangers!

Minnesota
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I agree with Ron. That's where I bought mine years ago.
    Maybe you can find one with UT Longhorns like mine!

Looks like an eggfest in your backyard.  I like that!  
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    With the Coleman canopy, the vent at the top release a lot of the air pressure you experience on a normal windy day (winds up to 10-15 mph). When you experience anything much above that stakes in the ground help. But if you are on solid surface, and have winds or strong gusts, it absolutely necessary to have a weighted anchoring system.
    The Coleman you bought is a very stout piece of equipment for what it is. We have used ours very frequently in all types of weather and have had zero issues.
    We like the wall surrounds on cooler days or when wind is blowing rain or snow. Summers in hot weather, you can bake bread when the walls are up......
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    edited June 2018
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    With the Coleman canopy, the vent at the top release a lot of the air pressure you experience on a normal windy day (winds up to 10-15 mph). When you experience anything much above that stakes in the ground help. But if you are on solid surface, and have winds or strong gusts, it absolutely necessary to have a weighted anchoring system.
    The Coleman you bought is a very stout piece of equipment for what it is. We have used ours very frequently in all types of weather and have had zero issues.
    We like the wall surrounds on cooler days or when wind is blowing rain or snow. Summers in hot weather, you can bake bread when the walls are up......

Glad to hear the Coleman is still going strong. I could see how the walls would come in handy in cooler weather. I'll have to take a closer look next time at the vent. When glancing up I didn't notice any vent. Maybe something didn't open up or the vent is really restrictive. The pics above with the canopy doesn't look like much of a vent either. A bigger vent would be nice when a smoker is under it. 

Minnesota