Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using a "Weed Burner"

Options
I am contemplating buying a Weed Burner. Could someone explain how the fire is constructed, and how is the weed burner actually used to the lump? Just a blast from the top in a couple of places or some other magical method......thanks for any advice....
Berlin, Maryland

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Dump out of the bag, and i light the whole top moving slowly
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    light weedburner and wave over lump, theres not even a need to squeeze the trigger....but you will
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I only burn the middle.  I leave it there for around 45-60 seconds.  I will also take the ash tool and pick up some of the lump in the middle to get down farther for the faster cooks.  Low and slow, I try not to get it to hot.  

After lighting, close lid, and catch your temp.   
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I light a triangle with one point centered in the front. It works for me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    light weedburner and wave over lump, theres not even a need to squeeze the trigger....but you will
    That is very good advice. Years ago a Canadian egger named Cory blasted away with his new weed burner and not only lighted his egg, but also lit 4 dry evergreens by the side of his garage and before he could summon help his whole unattached garage caught on fire and it was a total loss. Those things are not toys!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Just be VERY CAREFUL when playing with fire. 

I hang my water hose on the lower rail of my deck. I keep in the back of my mind that its there just in case something horrible happens. Always have a plan. 

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    That is very good advice. Years ago a Canadian egger named Cory blasted away with his new weed burner and not only lighted his egg, but also lit 4 dry evergreens by the side of his garage and before he could summon help his whole unattached garage caught on fire and it was a total loss. Those things are not toys!
    first time using mine the leaves on a small apple tree fell of a few days later, took a while before i realized i did it with the burner. no reason to be trigger happy, and wear sunglasses atleast. after going from a propane to burning out a couple mapp granades to the weedburner, im perfectly content with oil and napkin presoaked in a coffee can
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    If you have another need for weed burner, it is a good multi use tool. If you are buying one of the 100,000BTU versions to light an egg, kinda overkill. There are lots of smaller torches around that will start an egg just as fast, much less sparking and much safer. 
    This unit will light an egg in no time - not as fast as the big weed burner - but with much less propane and much safer. 

Good to heed @RRP note above. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fruitguy
    Options
    I use a BenzOmatic torch instead of a weed burner.  Little less aggressive but lights super quick.  Uses the little camp stove propane tanks. 
  • fishlessman
    Options

If you have another need for weed burner, it is a good multi use tool. If you are buying one of the 100,000BTU versions to light an egg, kinda overkill. There are lots of smaller torches around that will start an egg just as fast, much less sparking and much safer. 
    This unit will light an egg in no time - not as fast as the big weed burner - but with much less propane and much safer. 

Good to heed @RRP note above. 
    thats all you need, mine really is overkill at 500,000 btus
    fukahwee maine

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    fruitguy said:

I use a BenzOmatic torch instead of a weed burner.  Little less aggressive but lights super quick.  Uses the little camp stove propane tanks. 

This is the one I use. I egg in the driveway. After I light the egg, I burn the weeds growing in the cracks in the driveway.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    This is the one I use. I egg in the driveway. After I light the egg, I burn the weeds growing in the cracks in the driveway.
    You can multi-task? You are going to lose your "I'm a man" membership card! :))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • grego
    grego Posts: 17
    Options
    The weed burner although overkill gives better reach.
    Floral Park, NY
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Hey, a lot of guys multi-task. Not only am I lighting the egg and burning weeds, I usually have a beer in my other hand. I think my man card is secure!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone - you are probably correct, except having a beer is rated as a benefit and/or necessity of life, not a task - multi or otherwise. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I don't know. When it's said that somebody "pounded a beer", that sounds like a task. Does that happen in Canada? Or do they "gram a dram"?
    Flint, Michigan
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    Nah - us Canucks don't really 'gram' anything...... we're just plain - ol' fashion 'drinkers'
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Fred, Fred - Pounding, as in a nail is something we demand to be paid to do - it is a task, a job if you will. Pounding a beer is something we pay to do, that is not a task, hence consumption of beer while doing anything else is not multi tasking. SWMBO has told me this for years so it must be true. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I stand corrected. It's not a job or multi-tasking. Drinking beer with one hand and burning weeds & stuff with the other. If only I could get paid to do those things.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I stand corrected. It's not a job or multi-tasking. Drinking beer and jacking off with one hand and  smoking weed with the other. If only I could get paid to do those things.

Freddy my boy.....watch what yer' doin'...you'll go blind

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I recommend the weed burner over a regular torch. I used a torch for years, but the weed burner can do a big flame, and go small too. I actually never pull the trigger on it. Just adjust the flow of gas. I also keep the eggs away from things that burn.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Brother the weed burner reigns supreme and unchallenged in the lighting arena. It has no peer or equal.imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    burning WEED...just like Freddy

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @rsterman‌
    Buy the weed burner my friend. It's the choice of champion cooks the world over. You won't regret it.imageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Dump and light: KISS imagePhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gaspar
    Gaspar Posts: 1
    Options
     This article might help you and i find it very handy http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/marijuana-measurements/ .. It helps beginner to not get confused especially legalization movement is well under way.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Save your money. I got a propane torch with trigger light and it works just fine. Pile the lump, light in as many locations as makes sense for what you're cooking (low and slow = 1, steaks = 3), close the lid with all the vents wide open, give it 15 minutes to get up to speed, you're good to go. A gas cylinder has lasted me 17 months so far and I use the Egg at least a couple times a week year round.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My neighbor in the Dells was literally sucking smoke with his family trying to light a fire on his birthday.  After I realize this by our fire, I stumble over, drink in one hand, torch in the other.  I was the 5 minute Hero.  Have sold a few of the fire canes just because of this. 

It's also awesome at therapeutic weed killing.  Beats the hell out of a flathead, bucket, and getting on your knees.  I've also used it to season cast iron, and the corners of my griddles. 

The lightweight portability vs lugging a 20lb tank around is uuge.  One little Coleman green tank lasts a long time.  The length of the cane helps get you away from the line of fire/sparks.

I've used potato chips, messy oil napkins, Weber cubes, Rutland starters, and I will never go back.  You can light the fire longer to get up to speed faster.  No crappy grill lighter or wind or humidity to fight.  Some like to fight themself, I did for years. Lol  So glad one of my egghead peeps showed me the way.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Save your money. I got a propane torch with trigger light and it works just fine. Pile the lump, light in as many locations as makes sense for what you're cooking (low and slow = 1, steaks = 3), close the lid with all the vents wide open, give it 15 minutes to get up to speed, you're good to go. A gas cylinder has lasted me 17 months so far and I use the Egg at least a couple times a week year round.

That torch head had issues staying lit when upside down. The Map-pro torch heads do fine. They run with both Map-pro and propane tanks, so you can still use the propane tanks with it. 

But if it works for you, that's all that matters .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I usually light in 3 spots for about 30-40 seconds each.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)